S10Y 2003 Panda - Finally Has Attributes Assigned For Varieties

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by comeaux, Feb 29, 2012.

1. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I am glad this got brought back up it is driving me nuts, I have 6 2003 ngc 69s (plus one in omp ) of these and 2 are definatly the frosted version , 2 are definatly mirrored and 2 are almost mirrored and the same variety as the mirrored but just slightly less shiney bamboo these are what I would personally call satin so my dilema is with out seeing the pcgs "satin " variety I assume maybe they are labeling the slightly more mirrored and satin both satin or is there three distinct varieties I really hope these grading companies get the varieties straight before assigning attributes so maybe ngc should have a "frosted" , "satin " and " Mirrored" but the destinction is kind of hard between the last two so does anyone have any insight as to what they label the third variety ? I want to send these to get relabeled but I want them to sort it out so I do not have to send it twice.

2. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I think when comeaux return of holidays ask him with what person he talk. And talk about the three varieties and send the 6 coins to relabered all together. And if posible we will have the big leg variety too. :)
    Or only the two for now satin and frosted.

3. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

According to the varietyplus data on NGC; currently there are only two designations for the 2003 Panda

S10Y MS 2003 CHINA - PANDA FROSTED BAMBOO (Pop: MS69 - 29 & MS70 -1)
    S10Y MS 2003 CHINA - PANDA MIRRORED BAMBOO (Pop: MS69 -1)

"This attribution will be made automatically. VP service does not have to be selected. "

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yes. I say to talk with the people help comeaux to make a variety in ngc to add another if is possible.

5. shibaji

shibaji New Member

6. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

7. glgehman001

glgehman001 New Member

This is what I had, have to look up what they at auction for... on 1/29 28633-$78, 28643-$167 and 3/11 32198-$155, how would you categorize these?

[​IMG], [​IMG]

[​IMG], [​IMG]

[​IMG], [​IMG]
    Source: Great Collections, formerly my auctioned property, now belong to someone else :(

G

8. glgehman001

glgehman001 New Member

So NGC says frosted bamboo, ok that would be the 1st 1 then, and mirrored bamboo would be the second and third ones. But PCGS calls them frosted and satin? Isn't that the same thing?

Holy ravaging Pandas batman, who would of though popular Chinese coins and minor varieties would cause rioting in the streets and confusion, hey is that Braniac?

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

The three pcgs photos are frosted
    Satin=mirror pcgs and ngc give diferent names at the same variety.

10. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Pictures are really hard to tell on these , but i would say the 2nd one is definitely the frosted version, but the other two both have different legs and at least one would be the same type for the satin or mirrored, but I do not actually think that nessisarily PCGS Satin and NGC mirrored are the same thing PCGS may put all the mirrored and almost mirrored (once you look at enough of them it is hard to tell the difference) as the satin variety which would probably be the best since the frosted is very different looking than the other two. I think one of the hardest things with these is that pictures are very deceiving . Until Ngc grades more as a mirrored know one will really have the answers unless you can compare them to the pcgs satin type. I just got back 2 from NGC last week that were clearly the mirrored type and they did not put the variety on the label which was upsetting.

11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Source: Here I will post 2 pictures of the same coi
    Source: n what version do you think? I will send to NGC and make sure they verify the version then let everyone know which.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. glgehman001

glgehman001 New Member

Yeah I got that part of it, but in a US satin coin doesn't have the mirror effect they give it in this instance.

13. glgehman001

glgehman001 New Member

Best I could do. They are in order but I cut one off slightly shorter.

Notice anything?

[​IMG]
    Source:

14. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

15. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Silverstar1 try take other photo with flash. If the leaf are darkest its satin. If not frosted. With your photos appear satin but im not secure. The capsule is ok to satin. But are frosted with the same capsule. The pouch i cant see good.

16. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Looking at all 5 of the satin or mirror varieties I have the leaf in the bamboo is still not quite as shiney as the bottom leaves but they are all much more than frosted version, if you look at the post 124 where they have a picture of an actual pcgs graded satin you will see the leaf is not fully shiney , so either pcgs satin and ngc mirrored are 2 different coins or there are varying degrees of mirrored depending maybe on the die strike ? wheres comeaux when you need him? oh thats right hes chillin on the beach not having to think about this crap!

17. siuchek405

siuchek405 New Member

omg... this is killing me, the most difficult to distinguish varieties ever....

18. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Me Too, the best thing they could do IMHO is distinguish the Frosted shenzhen guobao version and call the shanghai version mirrored or satin , but then of course you have the leg issue LOL

19. glgehman001

glgehman001 New Member

20. glgehman001

glgehman001 New Member

After all that it was the wrong bamboo, it is the bamboo above his head that tells the difference, should have read the whole thread more carefully.

Ugh.