Swiss Parliament Examines 'Gold Franc' Currency Today

Discussion in 'Gold' started by theiain1, May 22, 2012.

1. theiain1

theiain1 Member

More evidence gold is moving towards the system..

http://www.goldcore.com/goldcore_blog/swiss-parliament-examines-‘gold-franc’-currency-today

This initiative was slated March 9 2011

Story carried by Marketwatch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/swiss-parliament-to-discuss-gold-franc-2011-07-07

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

On of the reasons I am not so keen on golds is that it is physically limited. The tools needed to have gold in a usable form @~$2000/oz are fringing on the ridiculous side IMHO if it goes to $4000 even more. A 1% variance in weight in gold 1oz coins is not uncommon and @$4000/oz that is ~$40 just to show how physical limits can get a tad silly @ high fiat values. Or maybe I am insane :)

3. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I find this more interesting, I remember seeing something before but the noise has gone cold. Who in the US is seeing this actually happen or is it just talk ?

5. Byron

Byron Guest

If gold content is only 0.1g then i take it most of the coin will be comprised of some other base metal.

So not a gold 22k or 24k coin like the old swiss Vreneli.

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Madness! Fixing the price of gold, didn't we try that once, or twice?

and 0.1g, why even bother?

Gold is for high denominations and even a $100 coin would only be about 2g.

Silver is the way to go for small coins and but the old 3p is too small and fiddly for most people, that would be over $1 worth.

One way would be to go bimetallic, an outer ring of copper or steel and an inner ring of silver or gold. production costs would go up for sure but it would make the coins big enough to see and would protect the softer metals.

I would rather just have very high denominations in gold, $5 and $10s in silver. Everything else can be cupro nickel.

Besides, cash is for criminals and tax evaders.

Also Gresham's Law would come into effect! All the gold 5 Francs would dissapear from circulation in the same way all the Silver 50 cents have dropped out of circulation in Australia.

Nice try though, very well meaning and I look forward to the day when we can use real money in normal transactions

7. villiagegate

villiagegate New Member

I think thats the point. They want greshams law to come into effect. They've pegged to the euro for a reason. They're trying to channel of safe haven buying into the gold IMO. This is a very good idea, seperating store of value from unit of account.

I think this is the way forward.