WA is moving away from the 'east'

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by rbaggio, May 20, 2012.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Yup 1 word... squandered... :(

2. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Sure our prosperity has been squandered. Squashed, squished and suppressed might also be adjectives that could apply. But imagine a WA without the trojan house of Canberra around its neck (to mix a metaphor)?

I can. Duty Free Manufacturing and free trade zones in the north would be a good start. Close to energy and resource deposits, close to Asia. With a basis for creating new and original sources of wealth, the place would decouple from the rest of Australia in a heartbeat.

3. Byron

Byron Guest

But 30 years ago, before the mining boom, WA was a quiet backwater with a population smaller than that of SA (which it surpassed sometime in the 90s).

If the mining boom ends WA could once again end up like that.

Even if mining continues, there would be a 2 speed economy - one for people working in a mining related industry and 1 for everyone else.

This is currently the case Australia wide, however if localised to just WA the effects would be much more pronounced.

As for manufacturing i don't see it - Asia is far cheaper and WA is too far from markets distance wise.

The economic base is not diversified enough for sovereignty to be successful.

Very similar situation with Scotland and their debate on independence from the rest of the UK. For cultural and historical reasons Scotland has a far greater reason to secede.

4. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

In true aussie fashion :(

5. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Same tale of squander in the UK of the North Sea oil feilds. Whereas norway did what we should have

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/economics-blog/2012/mar/29/north-sea-oil-revenue-squandered

Oh for some leadership, even just a little

To late now

6. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No one has asked me yet..................... :)

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

As Winston Churchill once said" United we stand , divided we fall"..Thats something all Australians should remember

Can you imagine a state of slightly over1 million people, how big their army would be? WA is a large state and would be almost impossible to protect with such a large coastline and a nation of 22 million people to the East.

Regards Errol 43

8. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My parents think that Howard was a gifted economic leader. I ask them, what have we as a nation got to show for that golden age? And as you said.... it was squandered.

9. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

People say this and to that I suggest that they're not being imaginative.

Every law abiding citizen is allowed to carry a weapon either openly or concealed. Run citizen marksmanship competitions with decent prizes that make it worth while to have a high level of skill. Throw in Army Reserve training and you have 100,000 people armed at all times. Crime down significantly when the first dozen thugs go down and the citizen gets a pat on the back instead of hauled over the coals. Belligerent neighbours get the hint when they picture the "marksman behind every tree" scenario. Boat people? Well, give them nothing and the incentive vanishes.

How long has the undisputed most powerful nation in the world USA been entangled in Afghanistan? And the end is nowhere in sight.

10. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Israel is a perfect example of how a small country can have an effective military (talking about #s only here)

11. lucky luke

I often wonder, what is it that Israel produces or exports, in order to gain the wealth needed to not only support a military system of its nature but also the technology that has produced dozens (supposedly) of nuclear weapons?

12. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Israel
    Wonder no more :D

But the unshocking truth is Israel (Read IDF) is just a proxy army for the US, my response was mostly aiming at how to get a large army out of a small population :)

13. lucky luke

I was asking the question a little facetiously. :) Thanks anyhow

14. 2weeke

2weeke Member

Israel is nothing. The moment America stops providing billions of dollars to Israel, the country would collapse in a matter of years.

15. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

That statement is totally wrong, but as opposed to proving it to you i'll just let the future do that. So all you need to do is watch... and be amazed OR close you eyes and turn away. You will not have to wait long the US will turn on Israel VERY soon

16. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do you actually know how Israel makes $ ;)
    I bet you don't ,& I bet not many people would know :D

How

They develop the next generation of technology ,they nut it out & get the items made in China,
    I have a few Israel'y friends :D
    The new pregnancy kits where you just pass the thingy over the woman's belly
    Developed in Israel :D

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia is a very big country, and very different from east to west and top to bottom, it is amazing that a small group of people are deluded enough to think that they can run the whole thing when more established countries a fraction of the size can't even manage it.

The UK is 31 times smaller than Australia and has had some form of Government or Ruler since King Arthur united the kingdoms over 9000 years ago (or was it Bodicea? the first bit I looked up the rest I made up). With all that practice look at them now!

I can't help feeling the Feds are just making it up as they go along and we are the guniea pigs and the financiers.

There seem to be different laws in each states anyway and it seems like you don't get along with each other for some reason, though I can't tell you apart.