First Post! Just bought my first pieces of Silver, need help!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by RTPMarine, May 21, 2012.

1. RTPMarine

RTPMarine New Member

Recently decided to take the plunge into Silver! After buying two 10oz NTR Year of the Dragon bars, I went into a local coin shop to look at 1oz coins. Wound up buying 8 2011 Silver Pandas, a 1991 Chrysler Bill of Rights, and a 1986 ASE. Got all 10oz for spot price, Friday afternoon. $287.50 total!! I felt very good about the purhcase...

I plan to go back tomorrow and completely clean her out of any Silver she has (since Friday I have learned how rare it is to find a place willing to sell at spot price), but would like to know what you guys think of the Pandas I bought. I did a lot of online research into fake Pandas, especially went through this one: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-12452-silverstackers-fake-panda-competition.html and I think mine check out okay. It'd be really nice to get some confirmation from you guys, though =)

Here they are:

Obverse
    Reverse

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

RE: Dragon Bars... not very well known and unlimited.. ok but may of been better (IMO) getting the 10 oz PM dragon coin for a few bucks extra (these things are always popular and should be in the future)

Most LCS in Australia have inelastic prices to spot and are generally selling for the RRP or higher.. ie: $42 for a 2012 Koala, given that spot has gone down lots over the last couple of weeks would mean the price would be lower but not usually close to spot unless you are buying from a bullion dealer. (i get bullion for 15% over spot which is very fair IMO).

Getting semi numismatic stuff at spot is very very good, the local coin shop must be buying under spot and must either be getting out of silver (for good... hmmm not likely)... or have an incredibly low spread maybe trying to shut down local competition as a loss leader method... not sure how sustainable either models are but ok.. good for you.

Judging by what youve said about going back today to "clear them out" it dosent sound like there is an ample stock of semi numismatic coins at spot.. but if there is.. im sure some SS would be interested.

Great first tease post BTW

1for1

3. RTPMarine

RTPMarine New Member

Thanks for the reply! I posted a link to pictures on the bottom...titled "Obverse" and "Reverse". Unfortunately all I have is my crappy iPhone camera, hopefully it shows enough detail.

I asked her how she stays in business selling at spot, and she explained that she mostly pays the bills by buying and selling gold and silver jewelry. When bullion comes along, she will buy it at 10% less than spot price, and sell it at spot. She seemed well aware of the fact that she is the only one in town willing to do this. I think it was just luck that she happened to have these Pandas on that day. The rest of her bullion was all ASEs and a few random rounds.

I'll definitely update this thread with whatever I buy in the morning!

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your onto a winner there, best coin shop ive ever heard of... your laughing

1for1

5. RTPMarine

RTPMarine New Member

Sorry, trying to figure out how to get the pics in...hopefully this works...

Obverse
    [img=FluxBB bbcode test]http://i.imgur.com/cJZRb.jpg[/img]

Reverse
    [img=FluxBB bbcode test]http://i.imgur.com/B9X2J.jpg[/img]

6. crafty09

crafty09 New Member

Did you get capsules with the Pandas? Might be something you should consider for protection of the mirrored surfaces.

7. RTPMarine

RTPMarine New Member

Yes! All 8 had capsules, and each capsule was in its own baggy.

I can't believe how shiny they are compared to an ASE! I want to take them out and roll them around in my hand, but obviously can't because of the incredible finish.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah the silver eagles have some other metal in them too so they are a bit tougher, they have a matt finish on them.

9. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Congratz on your BARGAIN! :)

Pandas at spot! Nice buy!

Your Pandas look fine. :)

10. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

That is only the AGE i believe. Has a trace amount of copper in.

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Doesn't sound like you need much help at all actually, you seem to be doing fine.

And welcome

12. RTPMarine

RTPMarine New Member

UPDATE:

Went back in today and bought 7 more ozt of silver, at spot price. This lady is the real deal. Genuinely interested in running an honest business, no markups, nothing. Anything she has, she sells at spot price (both gold and silver). This includes numismatics!

Anyone in the Raleigh, NC area should drop by:

Gold Assay Inc.
    9593 Chapel Hill Road
    Morrisville, NC, 27560

Ask for Ramona.

13. IceAg999

IceAg999 New Member

Hey there

Welcome to ss, when can find a coin store that sell panda for spot that is crazi ;) panda are nice to collect and even nicer when u get price such as yours, congrat, any 2009 panda at spot?

Cheer

14. RTPMarine

RTPMarine New Member

No Pandas today. She sells what she has, so it really depends what people happen to sell to her. Today it was a box of 10 skull rounds...

[img=FluxBB bbcode test]http://imgur.com/1Gw0Y[/img]

15. RTPMarine

RTPMarine New Member

Ugh.

[img=FluxBB bbcode test]http://i.imgur.com/1Gw0Y.jpg[/img]

16. Viper_99

Viper_99 New Member

I have never heard of anyone buying pandas at spot - something up or your coin dealer is very off his/her game. I'd be careful.