Franklin Mint 100 Greatest Cars Miniature set

Discussion in 'Silver' started by crafty09, May 21, 2012.

1. crafty09

crafty09 New Member

Hi guys,

Was walking past my local pawn shop, and saw they had a 100 ingot set of "100 Greatest Cars" from Franklin Mint at 250 AUD. I couldn't turn up anything that specifically matched this set (there exist the Centennial car set, 100 Greatest Performance car set, etc) on ebay or even on Franklin Mint collectors sites. At the moment, I'm not entirely interested, but just out of curiosity is there anybody out there who collects these? The condition didn't look great, and I'd say it was a set from the 70s or 80s, came with a nice looking book, but I haven't asked for a closer inspection. I guess if I discovered I could actually make some profit off these I might haggle them to 150/200 but right now I have no idea what they are/what they are worth. Sterling silver seems to be the norm for these, and apparently other miniature ingot sets from Franklin Mint are 5oz of sterling in total.

The set looks complete, with case and booklet. Price tag (which I'm not completely trusting) said these had been marked down from 500 to 400 to 250 :rolleyes:

EDIT - Franklin Mint

2. crafty09

crafty09 New Member

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Franklin Mint = crap
    Worth spot no more

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, most of the stuff isn't pure silver so if you take it to a refiners you get less than spot for it, same as the dealers. You could probably sell it here for spot or on eBay for a bit more but really not worth the effort unless you can get it really cheap.

You are cutting down on your potential buyers which will make them harder to shift.