SMSF goes Belly Up

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by errol43, May 16, 2012.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

On the 7.30 report tonight *wed) Trix SMSF went belly up with thousands of people defrauded. What I find it hard to understand is if they are self managed super funds how come the funds are given to a company to manage for you?.

There was some large amounts mentioned in the 7.30 report..

Lets hope that this is the last of such rip offs. What is concerning is that APPRA was warned about this some time back.

Any comments from members who have SMSF.

This is the type of reporting that turns people off SMSF when IMHO everyone should look after their own super.

Regards Errol 43

2. Kawa

Kawa New Member

A SMSF could also buy a house that decreases in value or shares for that matter.The problem is not with the regualtion of the Super Industry but with the regulation of these managed funds.

History shows however that most of these scenarios of failed funds have two common components.

1)Unrealistic/Exceptional offers of investment return.

2)Greedy/Stupid people that invest in them.

To me it only confirms that unless your investing in hard assets and cash in a SMSF you are gambling.

3. villiagegate

villiagegate New Member

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

what does the S stand for in SMSF?

5. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

They have succeeded in demonatising MONEY with intrinsic worth in the whole world ( no one is using any other money than debt in the form of US, Euro, Yen, AUD, CAD, CHF, etc, etc ) for buying and selling ( excluding tiny isolated communities ( where most wouldnt want to live anyways ) like Indians in the Amazon, Amish in Connecticut, and some tribes in Africa, and the remaining 99.9999 of population is dealing with debt notes with high interest on it.

So some SMSF fund going belly up shouldnt be too big of a surprise, the rest will follow, money ( their money, their fraudulent paper, their empty faithless & Godless promises ) have infiltrated everything and are wreaking havoc on every
    pore of human endeavour.

More is yet to come,...

6. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

What a ripper of a post this was and the submission!!!!!! I know someone who has their super invested with MLC/nab in a wrap account. I have highlighted that part and sent the entire submission to him. He was outraged by the fee's they have been ripping out of his super account that I alerted him to recently. I think this will now drive him away from out under the dark side of the force.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

7. errol43

Nonrecourse..Thanks for the post and the link...

Everyone who has money in a super fund should take the time and read this as it may mean the difference when TSHTF of having something in $ instead of zilch.

I urge all members of SS to read this and don't take things for granted.

Regards errol 43

8. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

thatguy nailed it :cool:

9. errol43

Sorry Villiagegate...You deserve my thanks for posting. :(

Regards Errol 43

10. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

yup the mind boggles
    lol missing the d

11. nonrecourse

Have you not seen the TV advert where Dad and mum are playing with the kids and the catchy background music with the commentor saying what would you rather do. The banking and insurance industries are masters at selling products to consumers that provides their share holders with the cream and their customers with the dross.

The reason SMSF's has outperformed the retail, industry and government funds in the past was because the majority of people who operated their SMSF's were business people who had some modicum of fiscal literacy.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

12. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

SMSF - keep your investments in physical metals !!!!.....and manage these investments yourselves!!!....whats so difficult about that???????

13. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

giving a so called SMSF to some management crew to manage is just asking for trouble.........

14. nonrecourse

Physical metals is fine as a hedge but what else?.....Property will continue its inexorable retention of value in the troubled times ahead.
    Gold and silver do not give you an income or a shelter from greedy government taxation. Turn the tax system to your advantage. That doesn't mean you gear yourself up until your back teeth are floating in debt.

An ideal gearing scenario is 30%, if your gearing is above 50% make sure you have 12 months of repayments in reserve before you continue your bullion stacking. Your goal should be to have a stack that is worth 5% of your total property investments value. In the short term both your gold and property values may drop and that is why you need 12 months of old fiat in reserve.

Eventually in a worse case scenario the old fiat is worthless and your bullion takes over and allows you to continue servicing the real estate. As we come out the other end the properties climb in value and a new fiat currency evolves that your properties earn and your bullion slides in value until the next cycle starts all over again.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

15. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who'd "invest" their money in a fund called "Trix" ??? Seriously

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePxtbRIK5iY[/youtube]

16. Cracka

Cracka Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm pretty sure they are talking about Trio Capital.

That's why people who control SMSF's get into trouble - they forget about the detail.

17. errol43

Yep! It was Trio Capital.. thanks for posting this correction...I'm not always right but I'm never wrong.:)

Errol 43

18. Wout

Wout New Member

wow I didn't know that a high % of return meant that the risk is also higher? Seriously the people they showed on that program were morons, theres no excuse for it today with the worlds information at your finger tips, I hope they learnt some self responsibility

and Trix reminds me of golem in lord of the rings, "we be trixy on those hobbits hehehe"

19. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah it Was about Trio Capital on 7.30 Report.

Heard Bill Shorten come out on the radio about SMSF saying people would be better putting it into safer Funds such as the Institutional funds.
    Big problem with that is as an example: XYZ Fund lends its shares for a fee to hedge funds who in turn wreck havoc on the market. XYZ Fund justifies it by saying it provides extra income for the small fee received and helps with liquidity of the sharemarket.

BLah! Blah! The moment that you lend shares out to hedge funds who can then short the market you are creating big risk. I am in my own SMSF with e-superfund. The only thing they do is the auditing side to make sure that I am in compliance for taxation purposes. Nothing else!! I would not trust my hard earned with any type of managed fund as I want to manage my own investments and be in control. That way I have no one else to blame but myself if things should go wrong.

The problem that I see for the future of SMSF is that the institutional funds are applying more pressure on the government to give much stricter controsl over the SMSF area. That story on Trio Capital would have delighted the big instos.

Cheers markcoinoz

20. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1