Buy New or Old Silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by footycard, May 7, 2012.

1. footycard

footycard New Member

Hi,

I'm still trying to figure out what format of silver to stack.
    I was thinking about 50c coins, older bars and standard issue perth mint coins.
    being a smaller stacker I want to try and make the right choice for me but at the same time,
    make a little difference in the industry.

I can't wait to hear the thrill in the voices of you bigger silver stackers if silver does shoot up.
    Me, I won't be that excited if it happened soon as I only got 14oz today and I'm making a bigger buy next week.
    so i'm kinda in a hurry to find spare cash to buy as much as I can as quickly as possible,
    but yeah, you guy's with all them 1kg bars ect, woohoo! fingers & toes crossed.

Let's say I go about and buy 50c coins, for me $11 a pop is affordable enough to pick 'em up as I find them.
    the thrill of the hunt ect, I think stacking 50's is more interactive then say generic bars so it's good value.
    But I also want to have some impact in the silver industry, and if I go about using my available money on
    50's, who is gonna know?

the 50c pieces were issued in 1966, surely the silver is long forgotten about now?
    wouldn't it be best to buy fresh minty bullion?
    There is a thread here mentioning how the Perth mint sold 900,000 units of the 2011 koala.
    if I was around last year, I reckon that figure would of been 900,250
    this year I am around, so if I just buy current perth mint bullion, I will be part of next years statistic.
    Wouldn't that help?
    Do you think if everyone did this, it would help?
    or is silver, silver, and in the end it wouldn't make any difference to the market in general?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

They ol' maximum metal for the money strategy is certainly fail safe and smart.

Since your buying trickles at a time (like me) I'd go with Perth Mint coins and maybe the odd panda and other exotic ones for a little extra cashola...more numismatic potential than 50c rounds...(nothing wrong with stacking 50's though)

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with starting out small - plenty of trading going on here, stack 50c until you've got enough to do a decent trade on here for fiat to buy your preferred format, or an outright swap.

4. crafty09

crafty09 New Member

As regards you wanting to "affect" the silver market, as far as I can determine (an I am by no means an expert), the silver price day to day is decided by COMEX silver futures contracts (think of them as paper silver). This means that though the mints around the world might (or might not) publish the demand for silver, it really doesn't affect the price directly.

That said, you could argue that it does affect the price indirectly, perhaps people start to see the demand for physical silver from Perth Mint's published figures and start buying COMEX contracts or even more physical silver.

The way I see it, how we trade physical silver is seperated from the determination of the price, which is (relative to people who only trade physical silver) rather arbitrarily decided through COMEX.

But I'm new to all this, so anybody feel free to correct me :p

5. footycard

footycard New Member

I think i'll look for 50's when I go out to op shop's and hit some garage sales, maybe find some bargains around the $5 mark, I don't think i'll buy them at the going rate at this stage as at the end of the day, 3 dirty 50's or a 1oz minty? think I know what I prefer but yeah I see the point of accumulating 50's to trade for fiat, not the car, lol, then buy minties, ok, that's settled.

Righto Crafty, yeah I understand how it may not make any impact in the world market or value of silver in general, but 900,000 units of last years koala compared to much lower figures kinda got me excited, so I figure that info' would get potential stackers from other collectables into silver, what if perth mint had to start producing every issue in the millions?

maybe i'm trying to take on too much at this early stage, ok, relax, deep breath.. wheeeeeeeew.
    righto, i'm back.

btw, anyone want some footy cards? got a room full and need to liquidate!
    send me your want lists, trade for silver or bid on my ebay auctions and help a fellow stacker get a start.

6. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

I also believe in the bang for ur buck concept, buying largest bars for the smallest premium considering in the end it will sell for more considering a larger weight of accumulated.
    Ive never been into numismatics... just not my fancy...
    But not to hijak the thread, i will ask...

The new 2012 Dragon 10kg silver coins have around 321.5 ounces of silver in it.. cost = $12301 currently
    compared to purchasing 4x 100 ounce silver bars ... cost = $12332

Is it believed that the 10kg coin will go up in collector value in years to come to out price just buying the 4 bars??
    i dont see the reasoning of losing 80 onces of metal content...

7. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree. When I first started I was sure I had this game beaten with the bang for buck theory (even stated it on here somewhere).

But after kg's of same ole bars, curiosity got the better of me. First a couple of 1 oz coins, then a 10oz, a few more, and a few months later I'm staring at multiple sets mongolian wildlife series. :rolleyes:

It keeps it interesting and mixes it up a bit, which is a good thing for me. BTW, in a short time I have profited much more from of coins than I have from the bars (price fairly stagnent).

Allocate a percentage of your stack to keep things interesting. Once the metal is in your stack, you can always swap it out for something else.

8. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

Size has nothing to do with stacking!
    :)
    If you have not read Golden Pelican's "Buying Silver In Australia", please do yourself a favour...

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-880-buying-silver-in-australia.html

Silver is silver is silver is silver!

When it comes time to sell it's all about spot!
    Unless you have the luxury of time!

And yes you will have an impact on the silver market.

Every organism in this universe has an impact on every other organism in this universe!
    We are all equally dependent upon each other!
    We all contribute!

9. footycard

footycard New Member

heh, yeah I guess silver is silver, but I agree that bars would not be something of real interest appart from cold hard stacking.

If stacking was all about cold hard silver then I wouldn't be here right now, I need a bit more then that.
    I certainly will be getting certain numi's for personal interest and to keep the stack looking like something I want to hang on to as I probably will never sell it anyway.

silver bars and rounds are all destined to be melted, I don't think many perth mint kooks will be melted any time soon, even if silver was worth more than gold, you'd always melt the bars, rounds, 50's ect first as coins will have some numi' value for generations to come, I think silver coins make an excellent family heirloom that would be cherished.

10. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Actually, I've got some rounds that I personally prefer to a lot of coins, certainly some of them are much more interesting than Kooks.

11. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

50s are brilliant IMO.

Don't have to keep them airtight in a capsule, risk scratching them or leaving even a smudge.
    They usually get sold for premiums lower than your standard 1oz 999 coin.
    Essentially, they're fractional silver, without the premium.
    They make the best noise when you flip one!

12. footycard

footycard New Member

use to spend lots of them as a kid buying lollies,
    now I have bad teeth and i'm broke, should of just kept 'em and ate celery sticks.

13. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

I think alot of stackers stacks go thru different phases. When we started it was as many one ounces as we could get (due to a tight budget) and we did get caught up in some numi buying. (Yes i have more than one type of dragon.) Now though we are concentrating on accumulating slightly bigger coins and bars, say 10oz ones to get more oz for a lower preimum. (Buying unallocated on gold stackers is a great way of 'laybuying' your next purchace)
    Have to say that having some 66 50s in your stack is definatley a good idea. Have done a couple or swaps for 999 with our little stack of 50s and now we need to restock. Ask around your family and freinds you might be surprised who has old 50 cent coins in a jar somewhere. We were told the other day by a family freind that she sold a jar of 50s to a dealer and she serioulsy got ripped off. Not that we told her that.
    Hubby knows of one guy sitting on a couple of thousand round fiftys, he thought they were worth a couple of bucks each till honest hubby set him straight, now the guys smiling from ear to ear with his great investment and hubbys kicking himself for being to honest to rip the guy off. (I may have kicked him once or twice two but ya got to admire a man with integrity.) :p