I love paying taxes somedays!!!

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by malachii, Apr 27, 2012.

1. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Well - today was a rare day. I felt glad to pay taxes. Before you all think I've completely lost the plot just hang on a second.

A good friend of ours has MS. He has 3 small children and an incredible wife. He was only diagnosed with it about 4 years ago. For the last 12 months or so they have not been coping. The MS had got to a stage where at times his wife just couldn't handle it all on her own and they were seriously discussing him going into care. Now going into care for a 38 year old male with MS means moving into an old folks home - away from his wife and kids.

Today - after 6 months of going back and fowards - DHS has approved funding for his family to get full stay-at-home care. His wife gets full support and his kids get to spend real time with dad and be a "normal" family in their own home. I know this is probably the equivalent of about $45 000 per annum of our taxes but it is still far cheaper than the option of him moving into government funded care or being admitted to hospital everytime he gets a cold/flu/gastro because his wife cannot handle it all. I think the long term social benefits also far outway the $$$ cost.

Overall - a great use of taxes (IMHO) and far better than most ways I see taxes being spent. Good one Joooolya.

malachii

2. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tell him to consider getting the amalgams in his teeth removed ASAP - I write from experience!

3. Gold Kiwi

Gold Kiwi New Member Silver Stacker

+1

4. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

Really sorry to hear about your mate malachii and I hope it goes as well as possible for him and all his family. I was diagnosed with Lung Cancer which has metastisised in January this year, hence why I haven't been on line much or posting. The amount of money which has been spent on MRI'S, CT, PET scans etc etc is unbelievable so I to have no regrets about having paid heaps of tax. I also am happy that even though I had exceptionally good health for many years I continued to pay private health. Once again all the best to your mate, at least I have got a bit of age on me(66)

5. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

Savige silver, what a challenge.

I am a great believer in the bodies ability to adjust itself back to homeostasis given the right environment.
    I have heard great reports on zhu ling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txoeLYqynyY

it is worth looking into it.

I wish you strength, courage and support in all ways.

x

Malachi, good to hear the news about your friend,
    I too don't mind paying taxes when my money goes to help those who truly need it.

6. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I feel better hearing tax monies being spent on things like that .. rather than more pollies perks, bailing out europe or more baby bonuses for a single mother with 6 kids.

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

There are not too many people in Australia over 60 years of age who would be still alive today if they didn't have medication like blood pressure tablets etc etc. Hip and knee replacement . Heart, liver , kidney and lung transplants.

Thank god we live in Australia and have welfare available to those of us who need such things to stay alive. Everyone wants to stay as long as possible on mother earth to see their grandchildren grow up.

In the USA, it is everyone for themselves as far as health goes..I know everyone takes out health insurance that can afford it, but after you get ill the Insurance Companies will soon get rid of your business because you are a loss maker.

Everyone talks about the single mum who has 6 kids, gets the baby bonuses and then all the $$ to look after them..Now what about the husband who runs away from home, leaving the wife and a heap of kids and then is some rare cases where the wife runs off with her new lover and leaves hubby to look after the kids? They all get support and rightly so in my opinion for it is the children that suffer if they didn't have that support.

Now the ? is, who wastes the money given to them and who uses it wisely. It is good to see taxpayers money being spent on someone who has been hit by adversity.

What worries me the most is if the economy goes down! down ! What is going to happen to all these programs that will have to be cut..Pensions may have to be cut like happened in Greece and Spain.

Have you noticed in Australia how the politicians have ensured that the future fund is there to pay their retirement benefits..Super funds may get flitered away if the share market were to crash..

All these benefits that are currently available to Australians like the cases ^^ will surely end.

Like the old saying make hay while the sun shines for tomorrow it may be a rainy day.

It is a good feeling to know that peoples taxes are being used to help people like in Post 1, but how long will it continue?

Regards Errol 43