Newbie with a Question Canadian Silver Maples Wildlife Series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by frogman, Apr 8, 2012.

1. frogman

frogman New Member

hi everyone,
    i am total pm newbie and wonder if i might ask some questions ?

1)i managed to get in on a deal that the RCM was running on 20 for 20 where you could buy 20 dollar silver coins for 20 bucks each and it had the desired effect, i got interested in precious metals and coins ... i happened to see the canadian wildlife series the other day and decided to buy a couple of rolls (plus 1-each to look at plus 1-each of the ones i missed) to put away for the future, i figure they work from both a bullion perspective and maybe for coin collectors ... haven't gotten them yet, my question is, if i open the roll does that affect resale value ? ... do people want sealed rolls (i assume the RCM puts some kind of seal in place, though perhaps i am wrong) ... if they come with milk spots which i guess are normal on some issues, do you clean those or just leave them ?

2) are these canadian silver dollars a good way to buy silver ? ... since they are still available many years later, i guess they aren't a big hit with collectors but the silver price seems pretty good ? http://www.northshoregoldandsilver....category&category=Canadian+Silver+Dollars+Unc

3) a lot of canadian dealers (like the guy above) don't accept credit cards, is this standard practice and is it safe ?

4) can you recommend a good canadian dealer with a good selection of silver bullion individual coins that accepts credit cards ? (i bought my rolls from bordergold.com because i have gold maples from them and they seem very straight up but don't have a good selection of individual silver coins and don't take credit cards

5) maybe i don't need to worry about using a canuck dealer, does silver bullion mostly travel tax and duty free?

i would actually like to accumulate silver coins/bullion as both a hobby and for investments, i think many of the bullion coins are quite beautiful and i think silver is a pretty decent inflation hedge for the future

any replies appreciated
    thanks
    frog

2. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

Hi frogman.Welcome to silver stackers.I dont know alot about canadian issues but I can tell you what I think about your questions.Looking at the link you posted,I'd say that you are looking at some great coins.Most of those designs are very attractive,however as you know those coins are about 1/3 ounce of silver.The prices are reasonable in my opinion. Now some think that smaller sizes are a good thing while others go for one ounce or larger coins.
    I picked up the polar bear 20 for 20 and love the coins.My canadian coins are mostly timberwolfs,1 oz and 1/2 oz sizes,cougar.grizzly and moose coins.My passion now is collecting silver coins from all over,ie pandas,libertads,somali elephants and others.I collect what I enjoy and enjoy what I collect.
    I dont know any canadian dealer but I'm sure that others here can advise you about that.I would say that credit cards are convienent to use,and usually dealers will ship quickly when you use them.however buying PMs on credit is always a bad idea unless you can pay it off fast.Otherwise I also like the look of a silver coin and expect them to be a good investment.Enjoy collecting and have fun with it.

3. silverdollarnuts

silverdollarnuts New Member

You are not going wrong with those coins...all great coins...ive started stacking and collecting like 25 years ago...mostly canadian coins...now like Mike titanic, i try and get silver 1 oz from all around the world...very fun...

try silvergoldbull for all your bullion silver, they are great to deal with....there is a few more, but i find they are the easiest to deal with....and they have coins from a couple of different countries.....

good luck and keep stacking.....since i love the world silver coins, ive got into 2 collections, the Fab 15 2011 et fab 15 2012, you get 15 coins of different nation....the price is somewhat expensive but some coins are pretty hard to get....

4. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Hey Frogman, shot you a PM. Silvergoldbull is decent, shipping kind of hurts though.

5. frogman

frogman New Member

6. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Just typing up a pm for you-15 min

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Branch out from RCM stuff, there is better stuff out there in terms of an appreciating investment, none are perfect but there are better investment vessels
    The milk spot issue with RCM coins will effect any premiums you may anticipate so id encourage you to branch out now you have a base.

All the best with your future investments and congrats finding silver and getting into it.

1for1

8. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

Hey frog its me again.To answer your question about the e bay offering,I think its a bunch of crap.There are a few similar offerings on the bay.Its an offering from someone who proposes to search around and find you and the others who buy this package,the best price on bullion coins and tell you where to buy them.In my opinion,this is a waste of time and money.Besides isnt half the fun looking around at various dealers for yourself? I like to think so.most of the PM forums like this one will have a section devoted to deals out there and sometimes you can get a discount code to boot.Anyone who tells you that they have secret connections,that will get you discounts of 25% or more off of dealers prices are trying to separate you from your money.
    There are a large group of dealers on this forum who will work to get you the best price possible on your purchases and wont charge you for information.Most of them will freely give it.

9. brisbanecoin

brisbanecoin Member Silver Stacker

Hope that helps a bit Frog!

10. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

apmex has no minimum orders on check or credit card. gainesvillecoins has no minimum order on credit card but does have a $2000 usd minimum on bank wire orders.

11. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

I left out that apmex has a minimum order of $1500 usd on bank wire.

12. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

FYI--Scotia Mocotta is wildly overpriced

13. ph03n1x

ph03n1x New Member

Assuming that the custom declaration is done properly and that CBSA agent did his/her job correctly then yes Silver .999 and Gold .995 and higher are considered investment grade precious metals and they are tax and duty free. The HS tariff code for silver bullion is (7106.91.00.11) and for gold is (7108.12.00.11). However, I've had enough cases where either the sender put on generic terms line numismatic items and/or CBSA agent ignore the commercial invoice outside and simply put down some generic collector's item and then I had to claim a refund from CBSA. And of course they get to hold your money while the refund process is going on. If you ship through UPS or Fedex then you either the UPS/Fedex to correct the declaration before taking the delivery or the refund claim would be through them directly. If the sender shipped using postal service then CBSA will have a sheet sticked on your package which includes refund claim instructions.

14. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

For what it's worth I recommend you stack fine silver only and the Maple or WWF series in one ounce 99.99% silver is a good starting point as these coins are amongst the cheapest you can buy and the purest silver. The Mint sells them in plastic tubes of 25. They are not sealed but have a tight cap. Value them at spot silver price but expect to pay more when buying. Add other coins when you want to expand your collection and consider American Eagles, Mexican Libertads, UK Britannias, Austrian Philharmonics, Chinese Pandas, and all Australian Lunars for beauty.