[OPINION] NCS/NGC Experience - Pleasure and Pain

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Feb 29, 2012.

1. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Not sure I'm following you here Tamo, are you saying submitting many of the same coin?

I'd be inclined to get higher value coins graded. Lower valued ones, such as the 09's in question (unless I felt they were exceptional) I wouldn't bother at this time.

Don't quote me but I think it's around $30 + postage to get the NCS/NGC treatment so that would need to be factored in.

2. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Yes, more coins submitted at the same time. For you guys down under especially, shipping is a huge part of the cost. The more coins you get graded at once, the less the shipping is *per coin*.

So if it's a choice between sending in 4 high value coins and 10 (some high, some low), I'd go with the 10. And besides, your chances of getting a 70 out of the 2009s are MUCH higher :).

3. PradoEagle

PradoEagle Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the feedback. I have about 60 I want to send. Thinking to do 15 or so first up to test the waters so to speak. The postage is $36ish for either registered or pack and track, so won't be a hugh contributor to the unit cost. The unit price would drop a bit if I sent them all at once but the overall cost would be larger in one hit.

I was thinking of sending 5 per year, basically trying to pick the good ones were I have more than 5 of the same year. e.g. I have quite a few 2007 ones. I will be trying to sell a few after they come back. Is 2007 a good year for graded pandas?

All the above are 1oz Silver

I have 2011 1oz gold not in omp. Would it worth it to send this to get in slabbed? Visually it looks ok.

PE

4. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

An issue to consider is what's the motive for getting your coins graded?

If you are planning to grade coins and do a quick "flip" within a few months well then you may want to go with the higher value coins. If you are a collector holding for the long term then I don't really feel it matters which coins are submitted initially.

A lot of people "think" they know which coins will be of value in five, ten or twenty years but truthfully nobody knows it's only my opinion but anything 2010 and back is a good candidate for grading if a person is collecting and holding long term.

5. PradoEagle

PradoEagle Member Silver Stacker

I will be keeping most of them long term. The few that I would try sell are where I have 10+ of the same year/type.
    PE

6. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yes. For mintages in the silver i think the 2009 and less are good to save for later years.

7. low

low New Member

Side track a bit. Sorry.

I was thinking, if you have some spare money, perhaps it is not a bad idea to buy a few current year coins at the cheapest price you can get.

I was reading the story of Yuan Shih Kai dollar, these coins are common like mud. For very long time these coins were so cheap. During the hot time in 2010 and early 2011, these coins jump up in price almost on daily basis. A lot of hot money came into play.

I am thinking, if the hot money are to go into panda coins, perhaps they will go into 2010, 2011 or even 2012? Perhaps? And people who hold a few of these coins can enjoy the gain?

I read currently there are hot money into lunar series and some of these recent lunar series has enjoyed great gain. Perhaps for short time before the price fallen.

So many times I read people saying those who buy the 2011 panda may one day caught the bug and will want a rare early panda coins.

I don't buy this. If only things happens this way. Hahaha.

Ouch, almost all the paragraph started with "I".

Hmm

8. comeaux

Low ... as usual, very interesting observations

9. comeaux

Agreed thor ... but who's to say in 20 years that 2010 and 2011 are not good investments as well?

10. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I thought the world ends in 2012 :p

11. comeaux

12. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yes. But i saw it with two diferent eyes. One (coin collector) and the second (finance advisor)
    My first eye say buy all the varieties in 1 oz silver and the gold 1/10 and 1/20.
    But the second say buy the more undervalued for price and mintages. And the less premium for spot. (the 1/4 gold is very undervalued now)

For example 1996/1997/1989 are very cheap is you compare it to 2004 to 2009 and to 2012 in silver
    For a collector coin 2 x price for a 199x of a 2012 is very cheap.
    I think too to buy a few 2010/2011 if i saw it for 60 or less graded. And 2012 for 50 or less graded.
    One kook for 199x you can buy for 50 (a lot of diferent years)
    but the better advise is to diversify. But i think if you will pay a few premium for a 1 oz silver with a posibility of numismatic. Is better.
    Is more cheap now. Buy 2012 ngc 69. Than bullion and grading it. But i think in the future the 70's in the 2011/2012 will make very well.
    At capsule value x 2. Its a good buy.

13. low

low New Member

If I have money, I will throw away all advise and buy a full set of 2012 gold/silver panda.

Then sit on it.

14. thehuckler

thehuckler New Member

Awesome write up yennus, thanks mate.