[opinion] 2012 Singapore coin show proof panda

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by PeeZapp, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Lim

Lim New Member

One guy from goldclubasia leave behind his detail and was assured by the company that collection to be done in 2 week times at the local office in singapore .

well , i guess they did not see it coming that many people want that 5oz :)

2. silverybay

silverybay New Member

A little disappointed that I wasn't able to collect my 5oz pre-order panda at the fair. But was happy to have met Peter Anthony, Yennus and Lim in person. ;)

3. au_ag_miner

au_ag_miner Member

2012 Singapore Coin Fair Panda has an additional significance - it is the year that 2 live pandas are on loan from China. No vested interest ... yet.

4. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Sounds like maybe I shouldnt have cancelled that 5 oz ...:rolleyes:

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

FACT: The Singapore Medal is an official Chinese Panda/Medal made by Shenzhen Guobao, and distributed by Panda America.

6. yennus

Yep, no more 5oz Pandas available at the show... but you can place a postal order for them.

Yep, was fantastic meeting Lim, SilveryBay and Panda Collector (and some of the Chinese Dealers from Shanghai)! Thanks Panda people! :)

Yep, Pandas are the main coin of the Coin Fair, but they do have a wide range other bullion and numismatic items.

I purchased my first 2 North Korean Silver coins... Panda designs of course :) [will get some pictures up at a later date hopefully]

I also purchased a 2010 Commemorative Panda at a BARGAIN price from a South Korean dealer! :)

I also purchased some stuff from the Israeli Mint. Very nice, but expensive.

Will try and write more later, with pics.

7. mfm

mfm New Member

So the COA is signed by the governor of Peoples Bank of China (or some other Chinese official)?

8. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!

WOW

9. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Ok it WILL be a good coin and looks FANTASTIC, granted, but that price is an absolute joke, I pity the fool who pays $1k for it... there's waaaay better Chinese coins for that kind of money. Where's the room left to move at that price? Gotta give the guy his dues for optimism, may as well strike now if he's gonna catch his whale. I'd like to own these medals one day but at those prices you can forget it.

Or has the 15 year gap between international fair coins really burst the dam and collectors having been starved of show medals are foaming at the mouth??? hmmm 2012 dragons didn't have the same reception and these medals are, somethings fishy... no offence fishball :p

Like anything in numis, time will tell though surely the latter is fairytale stuff.

For me I'd put that money towards a gold set, bimetallics, unicorns, lunars, munich medals etc etc ad infinitum or other any PROVEN series for that matter

The expo coin has a mintage of 10,000 which means it's NOT RARE OR SCARCE!!

On a lighter note great to hear you got to meet PA and others from the forum yennus, Panda party yeaaaahh

Hope you all left with plenty of jangling coins in pockets :D

10. low

low New Member

On the positive side, we got to see the COA and the coin is issued by China Great Wall Coins Investments Ltd which is a subsidiary of CGCI.

It means this is official medal. :D

11. Lim

Lim New Member

Haha...1 k ... Well it is not sold out at the fair for goodness sake ... Still can order at pa ...

12. Lim

Lim New Member

Thanks for the 2000 panda ... And nice meeting u too ..
    I know which stall u snipe the 2010 panda ... I am aiming the ox beside it ... The price is good ... Might pick it tml

13. yennus

HAhaha... yep, you know which stall the 2010 came from :) ... They have a couple more left, but I think (and hope) I took the best one :) ehehehe...

14. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for that information low, we can always count on you for excellent information I'm sure there will still be a few posters here walking around with a stick in their butt :D in denial but some people are just eternally miserable. You are starting to be the "badon" of silver stackers !

I'm glad to see that the SS members got to meet up and that everyone had a great time. What an awesome coin expo to have attended. I wish I would have asked someone to get me a t-shirt :(

Yea time will tell if these medals skyrocket and although I only bought one I really hope they do do well for everyone to have good fortune, if not it's still a gorgeous medal to add to any collection.

Thor122 is lucky I'm an honest guy as he had me pick up four of these medals for him, I'm going to probably have a tear in my eye as I ship them off to him. I still think he is crazy to submit them for grading but hey maybe there is a 70 in the batch or at least few 69's so good luck to him as well.

15. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yes. You are a very honest guy and a gentleman in the old style of the word.
    You think pandamerica will take all the betters medals to submit to grading and the others to sell to the public. I dont know how in usa the dealers make business. But if is the normal in usa. I never will buy another coin from pandaamerica and this is bad for they business. I read a few post here for other dealers in australia makings preorders and after dont sending the coins to the people already paid to flip it in ebay. But i think the dealers will have the fast profit but in the long time they lost customers and future profits.

Im allways open to advises. Im very new in mcc and numismatics. I think i will make a experiment and all will see the results. Its a cheap price to pay to know the modus operandi of pandamerica.

16. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

I honestly don't think Panda America would pull a stunt like that I have dealt with them on several occasions and never had issues. I actually spoke with Vince at PA two days ago and he said the medals should be in my hands within 10 to 14 days or hopefully sooner. If PA was sifting through coins picking the best ... I would have alot less MS69 gold pandas that I bought raw at PA.

Rest easy my friend I think the medals you get will be very nice if you decide you don't want them I'm sure they will be easy to get rid of I know a guy in Louisiana who would probably buy them from you :)

17. Lim

Lim New Member

Did not see any expo shirt on sale .. :)

18. mfm

mfm New Member

I questioned if it was an "official Chinese medal" since the information available didn't 100% confirm that.

I said that "if X then it's not official Chinese" and I asked who was the actual issuer, at the same time you and others didn't ask any questions or gave any useful information but just pushed the hype, gave incorrect reasons why it would be official Chinese and why it would be the best investment of the decade.

The information about the issuer was in the auction pictures, thanks low for looking at it. China Great Wall Coins Investments Ltd is located in Hong Kong but I guess it counts as China because of the CGCI affiliation (It also proves my point that Panda America is just another distributor that buys from China Great Wall Coins Investments in HK like every other distributor worldwide).

As for "official" I'm not so sure. It's Chinese and the official medal for the event, fine, but official medal of the PRC? Not really, for the reasons low gave earlier. Although, even without beeing legal tender I would accept a medal as official if it had the national emblem of the PRC.

I expect nothing better than ad hominem "arguments" on this forum any time I question any aspect of the panda hype or the numismatic guessing corporaton racket. The forum delivered as expected.

19. silverybay

silverybay New Member

Its a panda medal minted by China Shenzhen Guobao mint. I consider that good enough to qualify as an official Panda.

Any other Panda minted and issued outside of China, be it a legal tender coin or a commemorative medal, can never claim this status.

20. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Pandas are even more endangered when Yennus is about sniping!