Today I bought.... "Panda Style"

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Austacker, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TheMineTech

TheMineTech New Member

2. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

Good to hear this seller is legitimate.
    The 1989 ms 68 panda for $90 USD. If any one wants them.

3. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

Hahah, already gone.

4. TheMineTech

TheMineTech New Member

I grabbed both of those :D

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

You can check their website: http://www.rarecoincollector.net/

You can get maybe cheaper coins from there. Or if it's more expensive get them to pricematch their eBay store.

Then use the $25 coupon ^_^

6. kingzac

kingzac New Member

I bought a couple of ms69 pandas from that store in the past and was pretty unimpressed. Spotted a milk spot as soon as I pulled it from the packaging, really put a dampener on things when I was so excited to get the package

7. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

RCC is a legitimate seller, but they are on the problem list primarily because of complaints about stock images that misrepresent some coins. This becomes especially important when it comes to varieties that have important valuation differences. If you think you are buying one variety because of a picture but receive another, it is understandable that you would be upset.

If sellers (not just this one) would just take the extra 60 seconds and put up photos of the actual coin being sold, this wouldn't be an issue. Fortunately, the CC is making identification of stock images pretty easy even when the seller doesn't disclose whether they are or not. All you have to do is look up the sighting on the CC, then go to the previous sales. If there are 4 sales from the same location for the same specimen, it's a stock photo. There is also a field in the sighting form where you can specify that a listing has a stick photo, but you won't always know at the time of the sighting.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

8. fishball

Maybe I've never had a problem with RCC because I've only really bought coins that they only have 1 of. So I got sent whatever they have in the picture.

Anyway kingzac it's unfortunate to hear about your pandas, I've been in your shoes before and received white spotted + rusted pandas so I know your pain :(.

9. kingzac

kingzac New Member

See I went for the cheapies. A few they had for what I thought was a really good price that I didn't have yet. Like what was said before stock photos.

It was disappointing at the time and unfortunately as much as I like some things they have I just can't bring myself to buy from them again

10. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Yes I agree ... if a person buys an MS69 it should be in flawless condition. I would never sell a 69 that I felt was not appealing. If it were a 67 or 68 then of course it is understandable there may be an anomaly however small it may be. I even have 67's and 68's that have no apparent flaws with the naked eye, they have great eye appeal yet when viewed with a loupe there are tiny hairlines visible which lower the grade. In my opinion dealers should stand behind any 69 or 70 grade coin they sell as collectors expect these grades to be flawless to the naked eye and under magnification as well.

Just becasue a coin has been authenticated, encapsulated and graded 69/70 does not prevent it from developing spots ... dealers should never sell a coin graded 69/70 that has developed spots or other anomalies. The dealer should take these issues up with the grading companies and not try to pass problem coins on to smaller collectors. That is not good business.

How dealers handle customer issues is what distinguishes them from other dealers ... problem coins should always be exchanged.

RCC is not the only large coin dealer using stock photos, many large dealers do ... there is one in China (I won't mention any names) who always gets a "free pass" because people say ... "hey this seller has a great return policy". I never hear squat about the 100's of stock photos this dealer uses. Oh yea and here is the best excuse ... "don't worry this seller will disclose if the coin has been resealed if you ask" :) :D :lol: :| :/ :( :mad:

Yea well that great "return policy" is bullshit once I receive a coin (s) that has been removed from OMP, "washed", "baked", then "resealed" (as admitted by the dealer) and then I send it off to be graded and find out about 2 months later I bought a crap coin. Well this chicanery has happened to me for the last time ... it's like wiping your ass with a wagon wheel, sometime you just gotta hollar stop !!!

When I hear these excuses I wonder if I'm watching episodes of the Twilight Zone or if these people who say this are living in the same universe as I do.

Sorry to see that someone got a bad deal from RCC but all I can say is I have purchased impeccable coins there and will continue to do so. Honestly I don't think there is one online dealer who has such an impressive collection of Graded Modern Chinese Coins and other world coins as well. Monique is human and will make mistakes like any other human will.

Another excellent dealer is Clark Smith ... he also appeared once or twice on CCF but again, a few of the loud mouth "know it alls" ran him out as well. I talked to him many times since and he feels the same about CCF as Nick at Majestic Rarities, Jay Bullock, Monique and several other dealers ... they feel the forum has many highly knowledgeable members and great information but what lacks is that newbies get more "opinions" instead of solid "advice" and there is always alot of squabbling and arguing (directly from Nick at his blog).

I really do not like to disparage CCF as the site is really phenomenal and members like tamo42, badon, Panda Collector, poconopenn, peng_you, sandac, dragondollar and others provide the solid foundation to make it successful and I enjoy participating there. These members mentioned above make the site an invaluable resource. Fortunately for me I have been there long enough to know what loud mouths to "tune out" and which ones to really take heed. Now I just use the "know it alls" for amusement and the exceptional members I mentioned ... I utilize their knowledge.

Sorry to go off on a tangent

Back to the regularly scheduled programming ! :D

Minetech & Teh Silvers I hope you guys get great coins ... if not I would be interested to hear the results. At those great prices, great coins would be a win for all of us !

11. TheMineTech

TheMineTech New Member

I'll throw up some pics of the 1989's when they arrive, hopefully they will be nice coins.

Anyone have anymore 1989's for sale? It is my favourite year but having trouble finding them for good prices.
    A month ago I was picking up MS69 for $100 and PF69 for $200. Can't get anywhere near those prices it seems.

12. comeaux

I have two ... an MS67 & MS68 both NGC that I would sell for $85 & $95 USD plus $5 shipping. The coins look great to the naked eye.

Not sure how that compares with pricepedia or anyone else but that is my price. :)

I dont sell 69's unless I have a glut of them like 2011, 2010 & 2009 but have a bunch of 67's and 68's of random years.

13. Imaginasian23

Imaginasian23 New Member

Some Pandas =)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Noomahn1

Noomahn1 New Member

I've only posted twice or so here on this forum, but am loving the conversations. I live in the US and have been collecting MCC's for about 18 months.

Yennus, I love reading about your trips, your finds and tremendously respect your knowledge and what you are bringing to this community. Fishball- you, well crack me up is best way to say it. And I have already expressed my plan to sneak my way into Comeaux's will (thereby acquiring some amazing coins) by impersonating a long lost relative named Tinky2.

Blah, blah...anyway, couple of things in this post I thought I could add to...

I have made purchases from both RCC and Clark Smith in past 2 weeks. Clark Smith is a stand-up guy with great quality, and often very rare coins. My most recent purchase was a 2000 silver scallop dragon PF69 (certainly not super rare with 6,800 mintage, but with dragons so popular it's tough to find in a high grade at what I consider a fair price) and it is amazing. His site is a great one to keep an eye on. Top notch dealer.

I had heard very mixed things about RCC and frankly had stayed away from purchasing. I did however consistently look at the site for interesting coins (the inventory is amazing, and actually really helped me learn about the different series of MCC's) and pricing. Every once in awhile they llst something at a very attractive price. I finally decided to test for myself and made first purchase a few weeks ago, a silver peacock PF69, the only one they had in stock. When the package arrived, I opened it to find...a 1/10 gold peacock. I was slightly concerned that the silver proof I had paid for was gone. But when I called Monique, she apologized profusely, assured me the silver one was still there and it was a mistake that would be taken care of. They immediately reimbursed my return shipping back for the gold 1/10th, and the silver arrived a few days later. It's a great coin. So...a mistake followed by good customer service and nice coin. I'd purchase again. I think the comment is fair on the stock photos though...if you are specifically looking for a variety, I would make absolutely certain the photo is the actual coin you will receive. I had no such concerns about that with the peacock.

Sorry such a long boring post, but since I had recent experiences with the two sellers and I'm relatively new thought I'd share.

15. comeaux

Imaginasian ... Very nice coins you have here, I love the photo back-drops, especially the Panda cookies !!! :D

Thanks for posting your pics, fantastic coins you have !

16. Imaginasian23

Imaginasian23 New Member

Thanks Comeaux!
    I wish I had your collection.
    I too will give these to my sons in the future!
    I have enjoyed your posts and others here as well.

Imaginasian

17. comeaux

Hello Noomahn1,

Nah your post was neither long nor boring it's great to hear of your experience thanks !

I definitely agree with your opinion of the Silver Stackers Forum as I have seen it mature tremendously over the last year. Along with the members you mentioned, there are many of the other Australian members who contribute a wealth of information as well. The participation of Peter Anthony and Tamo42 from CCF along with the fairly new Asian members has catapulted the SS forum to another level for sure. It's totally awesome to see members here from Australia, USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Argentina and all of the other countries.

While there are always going to be friendly disagreements in any forum, I like the atmosphere of the Silver Stackers "Panda Forum". That is why I have decided to support the SS forum even more by becoming a "site sponsor". Not sure what the new title does for me but the additional funds to the SS forum is beneficial for us all in some way I'm sure.

Maybe my last post seemed slightly condescending towards CCF and that was not my intention as that forum is overflowing with knowledge in every facet of Chinese Numismatic Artifacts, hands down the most knowledgeable people regarding MCC and many who participate here at SS logically also do at CCF as well.

I was only conveying sentiment from some of the largest dealers of their experience with the aura when participating there at CCF and I have to agree because I was there to see it. That's all

It's unfortunate when important dealers/collectors are driven away from any forum as when they leave so does the knowledge they possess.

I do greatly appreciate CCF and Silver Stackers and will always be a part of both forums :)

18. shano73

shano73 Member

All my little PANDAs came in the last few days.........me so happy :)

* 2000 NGC MS69 Frosted Panda 1 oz Silver

* 2003 NGC MS69 Satin Panda 1oz Silver

* 2004 NGC MS69 Panda 1oz Silver

* 2005 NGC MS69 Panda 1oz Silver

* 2006 NGC MS69 Panda 1oz Silver

Pictures to follow soon as camera battery recharges lol

Still chasing MS69/70 2010 & 2011, also after MS69 2001, 2001-D & 2002 to finish off my MS69 >2000 standard set

19. fishball

Just arrived from yennus, beautiful GZ expo 2000 panda! :)

Love the box, so cute haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. серебро

серебро New Member

very nice indeed fishball.