Panda Photos

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by kaz, Jul 13, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

1982 Year of The Dog
    "A woman and her hairpin"

Here is another Shanghai Mint Brass Medal. This is only one of two that have been graded at NGC.

This one is NGC MS66 and the only other one graded is a 68.

This picture is from the seller I hope to put a better one up but I am really loving these older forgotten brass Chinese medals ! The seller even said these pics do no justice to the beauty of this coin !

Coins are very difficult to get a picture of exactly how it looks in your hands as I took some earlier of a gorgeous medal that just did not look anyway near as good as when looking at it

[​IMG]

2. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I think tinky will love the coins because when he raise years. He will spend time with you learning the value of the coins and saving.
    My small daughter (2 years in april). When i recibe from the post a package. She ask me "oso" (bear), guau guau (dog sound) miau miau (cat sound). Pio pio (bird sound). And when she saw it. Say more more (mas mas).
    The only animal she know the name is the bear (i buy a lot of bears)
    And my 4 years old daughter (in later march). Know for the colour is silver or gold. And say gold is more expensive.
    ;-)
    Today together buy in the supermarket two barbies for both with the saving coins (circulated cents for here) and she speak. Papi me gusto ahorrar para comprar la barbie para mi y mi hermana. ( father i like saving because i can buy the barbie for me and my sister)
    I think the children learn for the fathers.
    The next generation of stackers and collectionist.
    :)
    I will learn finances and stocks and they dont need to touch the coins. :)

3. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Stunning coins RC, I wouldve bought those in a heartbeat. For this set MS68 is more than adequate one feels considering their rarity!

4. comeaux

See what you started yennus !

Here's the 1983 PF69 Cameo Brass Panda that I recently picked up the coin is stunning in person but the picture is not too good as the flash angle on the plastic holder reveal minute anomalies on the holder that are not actually visible in person. Yes I still suck at pictures

[​IMG]

5. comeaux

Thanks much grizz !

Thats why I'm glad some of these auctions end while you Aussie's are sleeping ... you guys have been scoring all the coins ! :)

6. comeaux

Great story thor122 !!! :)

7. comeaux

I just received this medal and it's another one of those coins that pictures just cannot do any justice as it is absolutely fantastic !

Here is one of the 10th Anniversary Pandas from the Shanghai Mint. This one is the 3.3 oz gold plated bronze panda.

Of the three large 3.3 oz medals (silver, bronze, gold plated bronze) minted that 1991 year, The NGC consensus shows 40 of the silver medals graded, 3 of the bronze and none of these graded (yet)

Research on these medals turns up all kinds of crazy numbers which adds to the mystery of Chinese Coins (that's why I love them !) but there were three large medals made that year. 3.3 oz Silver, Bronze & Gold Plated Bronze.

The 3.3 oz silver medal (mintage 2,000) was part of the three medals set which also included a one oz gold and two oz silver coin. There were 1,000 of these sets produced.

This 3.3 oz "Gold Plated Bronze" medal was part of another set which only had a mintage of 750 and it consisted of this medal, the 3.3 silver medal, the two oz silver panda and a 3Y gold panda.

I have seen the 3.3 oz silver medal occasionally and the bronze medal (I have one) but RARELY has this gold plated bronze medal been seen and from some research with a few of the most prominent Chinese coin collectors it appears that the mintage is approximately 750 or less who really knows but this rarely seen coin is absolutely brilliant in person it has a gorgeous "frosty" gold glow that pictures cannot come close to replicating !
    [​IMG]

Here below is a picture of another CCF member who has the whole set.

You can see the 3.3 oz silver and 3.3 oz gold plated bronze in this set. I do have the original COA from this set stating 750 mintage.

[​IMG]

8. comeaux

Here is another medal I just received ... it is the 1991 10th Anniversary 3.3 oz Bronze Medal ... these medals are really cool.

After reading CCF and other research, nobody really has a clue as to the actual mintage but whatever it is there are not many around as they are rarely seen.

NGC population is only 4 (actually 3 as this one here has not shown in the NGC census yet)

This medal is an MS66 and the only three others graded by NGC are all 67's.

As many MCC collectors know that these bronze and copper medals rarely grade very well so 66, 67 and occasional 68 are what can be expected. I'm totally stoked with this awesome beauty !

[​IMG]

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Very nice adquisitions.

10. Noomahn1

Noomahn1 New Member

That was the last straw.

Comeaux- I'm changing my name to Tinky2, moving to Louisiana and going to pretend to be your long lost brother...all in a very transparent attempt to get in the will. Love your collection- just keeps getting more and more interesting and exciting to watch. You are a master!

11. comeaux

Hey Noomahn1 Thanks for the compliments ! :)

Hehehehe that was hilarious ! Maybe Tinky needs a brother :)

I think at the rate I'm going he should have quite a collection by his teenage years but won't pass the collection on to him until I feel he is responsible. In the next year or so I will start working with him on small US Mint & Perth Mint coin collections (the cheap ones for kids). I picked up a bunch of random/cheap morgan dollars a few days ago just to let him play with and get used to handling coins. At least I got him past the point of trying to eat them and we play games stacking them. It's really fun to see him stacking silver already.

12. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Too many great coins in this thread. My bank account hates all of you (and my gf).

13. comeaux

Ahahaha ! That's funny !

To put things in perspective, my wife was questioning my Chinese Coin theory/investments, she was not giving me a hard time or anything but asking if I should put more money in my son's bank account in which I do direct deposit to his account every two weeks a specific amount that is set.

So at this exact same time she's quizzing me about my recent MCC purchases, she is online buying Madonna tickets for October of this year yes you heard right Madonna !!! So I say "baby girl, you just wasted over $400 on two Madonna tickets that will never bring a return back to us, how is that going to increase our son's account?" she just responded "oh shut up this is entertainment !" with a smile so we left it at that. There is a 20 year age difference between us so I think there is a small generation gap. :)

There are times when I have to explain large purchases to her but for the most part as long as I don't question her shoes, dress or purse purchases she leaves me to the coins unhindered ! :D

14. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

RC, do you mind saying what you paid for the bronze 3.3 anni medal? Interestingly Ge's book doesn't have it, nor the gold plated brass issue. It has the silver one.

PM if you like.

15. comeaux

Yes Grizz this is true but the more that I learn about Modern Chinese Coins the deeper the mysteries become and you will start seeing a plethora of coins/medals that are not in Mr. Ge's book and have rarely, if ever seen outside of China.

Hopefully some of these you will see for the first time will be when I post them :). This Bronze and Gold Plated Bronze were issued by the Shanghai Mint.

I spoke to one of my favorite MCC dealers yesterday about the Gold Plated Panda and he has two but says he very rarely sees them and says that I got a very, very good deal on mine. He also told me that the reported mintage of 750 (also on the COA) is hard to believe as they are rarely seen and the Bronze has only been graded four times.

I also spoke to the Operations Manager at NGC today (Craig) and he is also aware of the medal and that they have had to work closely with the Chinese Mints to certify alot of these medals.

This Gold Plated medal was shipped to NGC today with expedite service so I should have a grade soon ... fingers crossed !

I also have some gold & platinum panda going to NCS later this week ... hopefully they grade well and I will post them up

16. Mi lao shu

Mi lao shu Member

Today i pick up these beauties,2012 1 oz silver one just today arrived in shop,and is step by by accident ,price is 315rmb, same like 2011, but on 2011 u can get some discount so, i will not buy more of it, mintage is too huge and price not appropriate.
    [​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

17. comeaux

Hello Mi lao shu !

Thanks for posting up these very nice pictures !

18. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

I thought that was Fishballs Hello Kitty for a minute :lol:

Very nice coins Mi lao shu. Thank you.

19. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

My 4 yr old daughter would give away her panda coins for that hello kitty coin! Where are they available from and what do they cost?

20. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member