1996 Silver Kookaburra - Zodiac Privy

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I've got a set of all 12 1996 Kookaburra 1oz with the Zodiac privies and curious if these are sought after? I dont know much about Kookaburra collecting to be honest but interested to know about these. 5,000 of each star sign were minted and I've got a mint condition of all 12. I believe the Mint also release a Zodiac Privy set for the 2005 Kookaburra as well, but just interested in the 1996 ones. Would $60 each be dreaming? About right? Or underdone? Opinions, comments, criticism all welcome ! :D

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I think $60 is fair they may even be worth more if there is no toning or damage and you have boxes and coa's but that is because I am not buying them . If I were wanting to buy them then that is way overpriced and $35 seems more reasonable... LOL

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Kook privy's are not worth any more over a non privy
    Only the Germans pay extra for some privy's
    There's a dealer in Melbourne who has privy kook's for $50 each ,I offered him $40 each & we both had a laugh :D

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I would have to disagree at least here in the US, the privy kooks are more collectable ,of course it depends on which one but it sounds like the set mathew has is really nice and a full set, I dont know alot about these but the last time I sold privy kooks they sold for quite a bit more than the regular editions of course again it depends on which ones . That is just my opinion and since I do not have any currently I have no personal interest either way just my opinion , curious to see what others have to say.

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Not sure of the price but id say the Zodiac Privys would carry more of a premium than others.. my LCS also sells privy Kooks for the same as other bullion (spot +15%) but that means they dont stick around.. then again no silver bullion hangs around for long.

I think selling them as a set is the best way to realise an optimum price, i really doubt youd get $60 each with spot where it is at right now.. but if you find the right buyer you may.. finding the right buyer will be an emmense challange @ 60... $50 easier, $40 and youd shift em fast.

6. latitudegreg

latitudegreg New Member

A 1996 with Greece privy just sold on Ebay for $51AUD. Different series, but might help with your estimate.

7. Rod

Rod Member

I disagree that the privy marked coins are no more valuable than bullion coins. Here in the UK they are very popular.As for the value of each coin {1oz,2oz 10oz or 1 Kilo} you only have to go to any dealer or
    dare I say it e-bay to get a rude awakening on prices they all sell over issue price and many are now hard to get.So its a good investment.

8. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

I think too that the privys are worth more, because they interest collectors; and don't everybody want to have the whole series?! I do