Numismatic silver vs Silver bullion

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by MetalMajix, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hmmmmmm.When the real estate agent tells me something about a property i have to read between the lines as he has a vested interest in Selling a particular point of view.
    That point of view is his business.No body with any acumen will talk down their business

REDBACK

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I'd rather buy Gold fractional pandas at 10-25% over spot, potential return is much better than a $3000 1983 27g Silver Panda :p

That said, I don't think the Panda market is in a bubble yet. It is one of the cheapest Chinese coin 'series' right now, with some exceptions.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

One word~Cult :D

4. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Ok, I'll bite. :)

Not sure what you're referring to but is it buying modern Chinese coins? There's logic and method behind the Chinese market, cults are illogical. :)

The Chinese possibly view kook buying in the same strange cultish way. :)

Yenuus backs his market and bothers to explain himself to all you bullion stackers. I take it as granted that you do also, back your market, as does anyone invested in anything. Who invests in something then says, "these coins I'm in, they're rubbish, arent they?" :)

I'd leave you all to it personally. :)

5. Philski

Philski Member

i have sold plenty of silver Numismastic coins for more than gold, weight per weight. If that's not an outstanding investment for personal wealth creation (and enjoyment) i dont know what is.

6. SilverBaron

SilverBaron Member Silver Stacker

Owned

7. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When/if silver soars to new heights, i am confident we will see Pandas also achieve new levels. Seeing a frosted 2000 Panda at $1500 isn't impossible, especially considering that the Big3 and other Pandas have already exceeded those prices.

When precious metal demand is high, and supply is tight, this is likely to drive numi and bullion Pandas even higher.

I collect 2000 Mirrored Pandas even when they are around $1500each, because when the silver bull starts running, i do believe that they will outpace spot.

Just look at the pricepedia panda index, and it is a FACT that many numi Pandas have outpaced spot.

8. SilverBaron

SilverBaron Member Silver Stacker

You forgot to mention that Jim Rogers buys Pandas

9. Dave92029

Dave92029 New Member

I began by accumulating Bullion ASE, but since all my coins looked alike except for the year, I began collecting Proof ASE.

Now I'm getting hooked on Pandas - 10 NGC Silver Pandas in just the last two weeks, BUT...

I maintain a spreadsheet of all my PM purchases, and to my surprise the coins with both the largest percentage and dollar appreciation has been my Bullion ASE.

What I find amusing is that the tubes of older ASE's are now commanding a higher premium then the current year ASE, maybe because there were less than 10 million minted vs 40 million in 2011.

The most important part of making a Profit is the ability to sell. Clearly, living in the USA , the ASE are easier to sell then Pandas, Maples, Koala, Britannia, etc.

In each of our own countries, the bullion minted by our home Mints will be the easiest to sell.

I therefore, maintain the bulk of my PM in ASE.

10. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

An old but thought provoking thread, with a lot of interesting and different answers, but none of the answers appear to be incorrect, as each uses a different scenario to support the conclsion, which got me thinking... d'oh :)

The original question was, 'Numismatic silver vs Silver bullion'. Based upon the answers I think, IMHO, the question should have been,

'In what scenario will silver bullion outperform numismatic silver in the future?'.

This is based on the example used of the year 2000 Panda, whose numismatic value has increased far in advance of its bullion value. I guess as a result of the relatively 'benign' economic conditions up to 2008 keeping PM prices down and the scarcity/collectability of the coin itself.

The scenarios I can think of are:-

1) The next 10+ years be a repeat of the past 10+ years, therefore it's better to concentrate on numismatic?

2) The next 10+ years will be totally different, the last thing we'll be thinking of is buying collectables, therefore it's better to stack bullion silver to the roof?

3) Who knows what the heck's going to happen, so hedge your bets and split your Silver 80/20, 50/50, or 20/80 (numismatic/bullion).

I think its now widely excepted that the last few decades of economic growth were fuelled by a binge on debt, and now we're going to spend the next 20+ years paying it back, in addition the powers that be will use inflation to erode the true value of that debt.

So IMHO Bullion is the best future play.

So FWIW I think 80% Bullion, with 20% in numismatic (just in case they discover a way to turn water into Silver)

Oh, and if the SHTF.. Gold, as it fits nicely in your pocket when you run away, FIAT because it'll make a nice fire to keep you warm, but lugging 1000Toz of Silver is a no-no :)

Does this lot make sense, or have I made a fundamental mistake or missed something?

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Makes sense to me :D