Newbie question about where to invest

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ravster, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ravster

ravster New Member

Hey guys

I am now fully on board the silver train and have decided to put in around $20K in silver. Was thinking of going 25 x 10oz kooks coins and another 25 x 10oz Dragon coins. The reason is i want to keep a numismatic value if ever silver doesnt skyrocket. What do u guys think?

Also thinking of buying from kjc bullion sydney? Anyone tried them yet? They seem to offer the most competitive prices around...

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Nice decision and choice! If you can wait for 1st march you might get you hands on some 5oz dragons... I might emphasize **Might as it's gonna be a hit fight*** IMHO

3. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Ravster

Welcome aboard, $20K is a great start but I would think about getting some smaller denominations as well like 100 or 200 1oz kooka/koalas as they are a little more liquid and if you do need to sell any you don't have to sell a whole 10oz coin. There is also your fractional pieces as well like 50 cent rounds and pre decimal florins, shilling ect. for SHTF situation.

Cheers

SS77

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the forum !

You can still proceed and get the 10 oz coins, and than later swap one or more of those coins for something smaller.

5. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

think of getting some kg bars, any brand really and pre-decimals silver coins....for example, 2 kilos of shillings post ww2 is 50% silver so you will get a kilo of silver for spot. i personally believe down the track (years and years) that premiums will come down on so called numeristics and silver will go for content only....just my 2 bob. at the end of the day it will be melted and doesn't matter if its perth mint, panda, tiger, dragon, rabbit, roo, ect.....its all about the metal. (btw, i do have numi's only coz got them near spot and wasn't trying to sell for spot plus whatever..)

great thing about pre-decimal and 1966 round 50c's, is that they have been assayed already and one can easily work out the silver content.

great to hear your on your way to being a stacker, best purchases are to be found on this forum...do you really want to buy from some shop in town when part of your money is going to pay their rent, taxes and other over heads?

6. ravster

ravster New Member

Cheers for all the input guys. You guys got me thinking into spreading my stack between some basic silver 1 oz coins (ASEs) and some 10oz dragons/kooks/koalas

DSK, the shop i was referring to was actually getting me the 10oz dragons/kooks at around $351 each (special price for buying 50 or more) . I believe thats a great price?

Happy to consider products from this forum if the price is as competitive...

cheers again

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

forget the ASE's and try for canadian mooses instead

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Scrap the kooks and buy all dragons. Look at the performance of the 2000 dragon...They only come round once every 12 years

9. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

Well said!!!. They are the same price, i think getting the dragons is a better option

10. Terry88

Terry88 Member

Yep, vote on the Dragon as well.

Seems like the prices is a bit more reasonable now than when it first came out.

11. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just an aside - as part of your plan give Lunty a buzz on Royal Silver & their US$5k bond, so AUD$4500-ish with 12 free .99999 yes, FIVE nines - highest commercial purity) coins per year (which you can sell for $50 apiece, no problem, eg Blue Macaws = AUD$600) plus capital & assets held in the bond are attractively-leveraged by expectation of Bolivian currency appreciation against the USD. Ownership of the bond also gives you an option to buy more primo Ag coin @ or near spot, which you can then sell on too, making a further nice bunce. Perhaps use this as a cornerstone to your pm portfolio? See http://wallstcheatsheet.com/trading-markets/is-this-the-worlds-first-silver-bond.html/ & http://www.royalsilver.com/club/index.html - Dyor. ;) x