Bank Safe Deposit boxes - Brisbane - some latest prices and info.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by skipau, Feb 16, 2012.

1. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

Last week I ran out of space in my current storage and needed to go and get some more. I wanted to try one of the bank's deposit boxes so I headed to Brisbane city for some research.

Thought i would list those findings here for any interested parties - been meaning to do it for a bit now...

First stop - Westpac. Wouldn't talk to me as I wasn't a customer of Westpac...

Next stop - NAB. I am a customer, but it doesn't matter with them. They were all sold out except for their smallest and their largest sizes. They are happy to accept customers own locked boxes at their facility as well.

$100 Establishment fee. Includes 24 free visits per year. $15 each extra visit.

Height x Width x Depth
    4.5x11.4x45.6 $110 - Available
    5x10.2x52 $120
    5x13.2x48.2 $145
    8.9x11.4x45.6 $170
    9x13.2x48.2 $180
    6.2x25.3x52 $210
    8.9x27.1x45.6 $230
    10.2x25.3x52 $250
    14x25.1x45.6 $270
    24.1x25.3x52 $380
    20.3x36.7x45.6 $390
    45.7x45.7x88.9 $900 - Available.

Own Box
    Up to 8000 cubic cm - $64.20
    12000 $74.9
    16000 $85.6
    20000 $96.3
    24000 $107
    50000 $160.5
    $160.5 for every 50000 over that or part thereof

After that - CBA. Also a customer but again it doesn't matter with them. Only 2 smaller sizes available. I asked why nothing available and they said they had a big rush after the floods. I got their price shee... actually I am not going to list them all.. just a sample of each price range - they have a variety of sizes within each price range. I will list the smallest and largest.

$60 establishment fee. Includes 12 free accesses per year. $12 for each extra visit. $140 for unlimited access per year.

Height x Width x Depth
    $135
    5x12x48 - Available
    5x11x53 - Available

$150
    5x27x48
    11x11x53 - Available
    7x24x56

$210
    8x24x53
    11x25x53

$235
    12x24x56

$250
    18x24x53

$320
    24x24x53
    38x27x48

$450
    38x40x56

After that I kinda ran out of steam! Didn't get to any of the other major banks.

FYI - The last pricing I have here from the Reserve Vault in Brisbane is as follows

$225.00 Type 1 2"x 5" or 50mm x 125mm
    $265.05 Type 2 3"x 5" or 75mm x 125mm
    $385.00 Type 3 5"x 5" or 125mm x 125mm
    $520.00 Type 4 5"x 10" or 125mm x 250mm
    $650.00 Type 5 10"x 10" or 250mm x 250mm

The reserve vault does give 48 free visits (4 per month) plus you can also arrange after hours access which is something that the banks can't do.

hope that helps someone.

2. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks skipau
    I know the reserve vault boxes have a weight limit of 15kg per box due to OH&S
    Keep this in mind especially for silver

3. skipau

Just on the weight thing - NAB advised that the max weight of your own locked box was 10kg.

The Reserve Vault are a non banking entity so that would be the best "safe deposit box" option in Brisbane city. You have to a pay a little more with them, but you do get that ability to get access to your box at any time.

4. Cracka

Cracka Active Member Silver Stacker

Nab also get a bit funny about storing bullion in your own box as well. Doesn't stop me but if you check there "supported" list bullion is only allowed in their storage bins.

Again might be around OH&S, but who knows.:rolleyes:

5. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

Exactly what i was thinking.... after all isnt it these economists that have preached the worst thing u can do is put it in the bank, incase it shuts down amid a crisis and u cant get to it.
    Private storage would be the go... or there is always the roof of ur house, or buried in the back yard hahah :lol:

6. skipau

I personally like to spread things about... a bit in private storage, and bit in bank storage, a bit here and there etc. If you lock in with 100% private storage .. what happens if they go bust??

7. Cracka

Cracka Active Member Silver Stacker

I would be interesting to understand who owns your box in the event that the "private" storage company went under. Remember what happened when that wine storage facility went broke a few years ago (heritage Wines if think) - a lot of of the wine was missing. How do you get access if they are no longer in business?

8. Zekealot

Zekealot Member Silver Stacker

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what frequency are those amounts for (monthly, quarterly, yearly?). And can you prepay in advance?

9. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I think you will be ok with one of the big four for a couple of months yet ;)

I mean look at Greece and the shize theyre in, has anyone heard of a SDB being seized there yet?

10. oasis

oasis Member

Out of curiosity, were these SDBs accessible during the major floods last year or are they in parts of the city that would be cut off?

11. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

^^^ This.
    Stick a safe in Kennards Storage and you got yourself a secure place under surveillance. Tell them MatrixOpals sent ya, and they will give you and me $50 discount. :lol:

12. locksmithuk

locksmithuk Member

Hi skipau
    In your travels around CBA and NAB did you find out who exactly fills the safety box itself - you or them? In researching safety boxes I've come across people who were told by at least one bank that the customer hands over the contents to place inside the safety box, and off the staff go to (hopefully) carry out the customer's instruction.

There's no way on God's green earth I'd be depositing anything into a safety deposit at a bank without doing it myself, in private, and co-locking the box in storage with a staff member (or is this just the legend of film & TV?). How did NAB & CBA advise on this? I'd be interested to know: as you well know yourself after we spoke on Saturday I'll also need spillover storage pretty soon!

Oh, and Water&Food, what on earth is that woman in your avatar up to???

Cheers

13. locksmithuk

locksmithuk Member

Me too, especially after this: http://iphone.news.com.au/stories/781299

14. skipau

pretty much same at all the places - cba, reserve, nab etc.

Co-unlock. Then private room. in the some of them you can normally just do your business in the open if no one is there or you can take the box to private room if you want to be a bit more dirty....

if you went with one of the bigger options at a bank then you aren't going to be doing it in a private room, but you could ask for privacy etc. and in most cases you would probably be the only one in there anyway.

15. locksmithuk

locksmithuk Member

Cheers for that

16. asdfghjkl32

asdfghjkl32 Member

Thanks for the info, are the dimensions measured in CM? or INCH?

17. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

good info, cheers

I think it would be based on the theory that in the event of a global economic shit storm, it is possible that banks may go under due to overleveraged investments collapsing (high risk appetite), bank runs and their ridiculously low fractional banking practices. On the otherhand, a private vault is not subject to these factors if it is in a sound financial position. Granted this is somewhat unknown as you do not know the owner's financial position and what liabilities they have with loans etc.

18. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Unless you decide to divulge the full contents of what you are 'storing' it would not matter. However, storage centers such as Kennards will not insure Bullion in the likely event of theft etc.
    Kennards Storage do not open your locker/storage without either your permission or government order.
    Plus, private storage outside of banks will be hit last in a hypothetical confiscation scenario. So, you would assume you have time to sort shyt out.
    Storage providers such as Kennards are not considered the same as Bank Deposit Boxes.

19. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

Oh, and Water&Food, what on earth is that woman in your avatar up to???.....

its not a pic of a woman, its a bloke and looks like deep throating a sword...
    if you cant tell its a cartoon character called He-Man.....so i just googled heman and found this link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

funny enough W&F must have got it from this link on you-tube...why one would have this as an avatar???

read the comments on you tube for a laugh/

20. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bumptothetop