Graphene

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Nationalist, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Nationalist

Nationalist New Member

Has anyone here given any thought to:
    - the impact graphene might have on the value of silver (given claims that it might replace some of silver's uses;
    - how to invest in graphene?
    I've just become aware of graphene so would appreciate any insight into these questions

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

never heard of it.... google, here i come....

3. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Graphene will affect Silver price, but will do so over a long period of time.
    Unless the world had to start again from scratch; silver has a while to go yet.

However, your concerns are justified.

4. silvercomments

silvercomments New Member

It's a good subject.
    In a short term it will not affect silver prices, because the technology is difficult.
    There are 3 known to me techniques to make solar cells from graphene.
    But it is in an early development stage - and if the technology was controlled the efficiency could be incredible.
    To put it in perspective - there were some experiments done that showed quantum efficiency of 50% and even more.
    Now as for the silver type of solar - we are at mere 15% or so in mass production.
    Most popular panels are typically 14.8% efficient.

But for the technology - I wouldn't put too much hope on that - because companies are extremely resistant to work in the field of a new material.
    For instance - the company I work for developed GaN while Graphene shows much more potential - but nobody wants to talk about it here.
    It's a "don't rock the boat" type of mentality.

In the mean time I work on a new type of semiconductor based on Si which has just been released to the market - and it is so close to GaN that I think it could make GaN go away.

I am giving you this to illustrate difficulties with any type of technological innovation.
    Graphene is absolutely superior to anything we came across - but is needs more work.
    And there is only like two places producing it cheap.

So don't worry - we will see silver over 300 bucks an oz before graphene can make any significant entry into the solar market.
    Don't worry about graphene. We are decades away from it being promoted and sold like solar is now.

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow & welcome

6. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

ermmm.... how will silver go if theoretically the electronic infrastructure of let's say 10 per cent of the world is affected and systems need to be repaired or replaced ...

edit: or an "immediate" 10 per cent increase for any reason

7. elaineB

elaineB New Member

I never heard of it yet. But if ever there is, there would be a great impact.

8. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

systematic, it won't take place in a blink of an eye.
    Think about all them manufacturing fabs to be refitted and cater for graphene.
    Employees also need to learn new techniques and skills.
    Both examples above take time.

9. silvercomments

silvercomments New Member

Right.
    The problems associated with that technology far exceed things we are used to.
    It is like we had to make all new equipment from the scratch.
    It's entirely different way of producing things.
    It's not only that we can't produce in volume - we don't even know how to make single devices.
    There is a ton of problems with any new concept and these usually multiply.
    That is why people in charge don't want to invest too much, because it's risky - and only businesses like IBM can throw enough money on it to grow.

Be patient with silver.
    It will be MUCH MUCH more expensive.

10. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

If silver does start to become more expensive then Graphene will start to get looked at more and more. Carbon nanotubes are amazing. The strength is just incredible.

Regardless, the increase in silver's price is coming from investment, not increased industrial demand imo. I think silver demand will come more from the jewellery side as gold becomes too expensive for many people due to it's temporary demand as an alternative financial instrument. ie. a short to medium term bubble.

Gambling on silver long-term based on some supposed massive increase in industrial demand and supposed shrinking supply is too risky for me. I'll let the rest of you take those odds.

11. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Graphene ( Carbon ) will never replace Silver in the same way that Steel ( Iron ) will never replace Gold.
    Different materials, different uses and always something new around the corner.