Condensing Stack Varieties

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Evolution, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Evolution

Evolution Member

It was a little over a year ago that I started stacking, and like some others I set myself a goal to achieve for the year. I bought bit by bit, when there were bargains and sometimes big orders when I could afford it. Doing this I not only achieved my goal, I beat it. Doing it this way however has left me with a significant variety of pieces, more than I can easily keep track of (especially in storage). I actually had some pieces stored for months that I forgot I had. So I am considering condensing down the varieties of silver I have to a handful of different types so I can more easily keep track of my stack, by trading what I have for something I intend to stack.

I am considering trading in my varieties for:
    * Lunars
    * Pandas
    * Round 50s
    * Southern Cross Stackers (They're so pretty and easily stored)
    * Gold (I only have one 1/10th oz coin)
    * Maybe Perth Mint Bars too

This wouldn't mean I'd stop purchasing anything else, just that it would be either with the intent to trade it or keep it as a personal collectable.
    So basically I'm after people's thoughts on this, has anyone else done this before?
    Or if there are any suggestions of something else to include in my list.

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think that you have a good plan there.

Personally I'm trying to stick with Perth Mint products, AGE/Krugers & Sovereigns. I can go for the US favourites ASE/Buffalo's but my preference will be the aforementioned beauties. The others in my collection are numi's bought for personal pleasure with the Mayan Calendar being my current favourite

3. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

We're in the process of redesigning our stack too. Getting rid of some of the 'collectables' in favour of straight recognisable oz.
    I think its a good idea as we also have quite a few bits and peices and i'd rather stack for number of ounces with just one or two series collections to hold in speculation of a rise.
    But it is a slow process as some of them are just so darn pretty i have trouble letting go. :p

4. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Get more gold. Your ratio is out of whack... Mine is too! ;)

5. Giodor8

Giodor8 Active Member

Perth mint 10 oz bars i find are the easiest to offload and 1 oz perth mint coins kept in rolls of 20 are a good bet. I found moving the US silver takes longer but you can sell them. A good comparison is to search for silver eagles on ebay and search for perth mint coins. Way more competition to sell your eagles on there.

6. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understand your sentiment and appreciate your love of the Mayan coin. I am in a similar position with dozens of different varieties.
    Naturally I blame Maggie. Who else tempts us with such wonderful coins? :)

7. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I know that some people here don't think much of post 46 silver coins.

But how liquid and tradeable are the pre 46 coins ??
    Does it matter if they are badly worn, or are buyers just happy to buy XX grams of 92.5 junk silver coins ?

I have noticed here at SS it is buy at spot ... sell at spot, but dealers seem to pay below spot on this type of silver.
    Any ideas where is the best place to sell these, other than here of course.

8. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Predec silver will be much harder to forge if silver becomes more popular. It's pretty hard to forge over 50 years of wear and tear. Don't underestimate it's worth...

9. oasis

oasis Member

I have to agree with this. The best time to buy something is when nobody else wants to buy it. And nobody seems to want to buy post-46 silver right now.

10. Evolution

Evolution Member

It also occurs to me that having a few items in quantity would make trading item-for-item easier too.

While looking through my spreadsheet to weed out the varieties I've discovered that a significant portion of my stack is already what I have listed (PM and SC bars making up most of that) and also what I consider collectables, of which a Mayan Callender is my current prized possession. :D Only about 20% of my total stack is varieties to trade, yet they make up around 50% of the different types I have.

I know my gold ratio is woeful but the GSR for trades is rarely appealing from the silver side of things.

I hadn't actually considered pre-dec, I was thinking of pre-46 florins since they're pretty much on par with round 50s for silver content. But going by eBay they're on par pricewise too, and I think most stackers here would choose to trade for round 50s over florins. But I suppose if I could get pre-dec, particularly post-46, fairly cheap then it may be a good idea to stack them on the side until silver's rainy day when they become more desirable.

Thanks for all the input guys, it really is appreciated.