Today I found (while detecting)...

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I gotta a pan recently but have only been out once. I didn't find anything, Gonna try some different spots in the spring when it isn't so cold!

2. Byron

Byron Guest

Don't funnel webs make nests under lawns in the ground? I'd want to make sure those gloves are bite-proof!

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most of the time I wear gumboots. They can be a bit uncomfortable but are great safety against most critters...except maybe crocodiles.

If theres a lot of ants around I spray insect killer surface spray on my gumbys. They soon lose interest in climbing your leg. Spray your holes and wait a minute before you stick your hand in if you are extra worried about nasties.

4. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

:D I love thios thread - since i was a kid i wanted a metal detector - im saving up at the moment for one - cant wait to post my first 1960s matchbox car find and plethora of assorted ring pulls and rivets :)

5. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Sanchez, did we disturb your rock. Sorry! :rolleyes:

6. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

+++++1

I have the sneaking suspicion that was just sarcasm :p

7. Eureka Moments

SilverSanchez is a big PM fan from what Ive seen. I reckon he might be keen on hunting better quality metals like gold perhaps. ;)

8. purgatori

purgatori New Member

hers some of my silver coin finds from last year
    june to december
    Source: [​IMG]

9. purgatori

purgatori New Member

and one more[​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Lurrrrvley finds mate. Still dunno where you're managing to get all the damn silvers though, the bastards are so elusive here in Suburban Sydney dammit! ;)

I can't remember mate, do you use an Etrac at all?

I desperately want one, but can't really afford it right now :/

11. purgatori

purgatori New Member

i use a garret at pro international im upto 56 silver coin this year already :)

12. Eureka Moments

Excellent work there.

13. Eureka Moments

I dont mind hearing about people finding junk. Detecting can be a hit and miss hobby and some days you dont get results. You can still learn from the rubbish you find. Digging everything can be time consuming but can be worth it in the right spots.

I try to find old rubbish. The older the rubbish the better your chances of finding things of value. Old square nails, old bullets and even lumps of rusty crap that you cant identify can mean there may be other, better unfound treasure as well.

If your in a park and you only get modern stuff then concentrate on $1 and $2 coins. If you find any old buttons or bits and pieces there may be some good older coins and stuff as well. Tailor your search to suit.

Looking for gold is similar. The older the junk and the more there is the better your chances of finding gold (if you are on gold bearing ground). Old black rum bottles are a great indicator of 19th century mining activity and if you see any that is a good spot to try and find a nugget or two.

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

$6.40 in the park this afternoon. Was like the frikking pied piper - couldn't get kids to piss off. I would pinpoint a target and about six hands would dive in trying to dig it up. Caused some arguments over 5c pieces!

15. Eureka Moments

Meddling kids (and adults) can be a real time waster. Dont like playing 20 questions.

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Perfect opportunity to ask if the have any round 50s or pre dec. they want to sell, or just ask em if the want to hear about AMWAY :p

17. Eureka Moments

This quartz rock containing a 0.1 gram nugget was around dug from about 3 inches deep. No visible gold so it gets wrapped in a towel and given a whack with a hammer. The nugget that was inside it is the one on the left. The other nugget is an alluvial (loose) nugget and weighed 0.15 grams.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Eureka Moments

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is some of the "junk" I found near the above nuggets as well this arvo. The balls are shotgun pellets. They give off a very similar signal to small gold and if you can find these you have a chance of maybe getting some small nuggets as well. The whiter balls are much older than the darker greyer ones. The color and lead leaches out of them over time and they go white.

The buckle is of a fair age. Between 100-150yo going by the patina on it and design I estimate. It got slightly scratched by my pick when digging and appears to be made of brass.

19. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Love finding shotgun pellets when panning - you know you're in the right spot with the right technique.

20. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Regarding my comment previously - i was just being sarcastic - i really have wanted to get a detector since i was a kid.

A friend of mine's dad had one when I was 6, knowing what I do now i assume many people got detectors as a way to participate in the late 1970s gold bull market mania.... ill get my detector early and sell it when the mania phase hits :)