kookaburras vs koalas

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by HoskinsStreet, Nov 12, 2011.

1. HoskinsStreet

HoskinsStreet New Member

sorry for the newb question, but is there any difference bar cosmetic between koalas and kookaburras?

they are both 1ounce per

i mainly buy bullion the few coins are just a bit on the sideth mint coins. i have koalas but only because thats what the shop i bought from had at the time.

2. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Only diff i notice is people prefer to buy Kooks rather than the Koalas. Good to see another local (almost ) on here.

3. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Kookaburras have a limited annual mintage, Koalas do not. Generally because of this, the Koala has a lower premium attached to it at the time of purchase and then when reselling it later on.

4. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

The design on the koalas (well for the last few years at least) is butt ugly! Does that count as a difference? :)

Seriously though, the only difference is design and the fact that kooks are limited to a mintage of 500k (2012) or 300k (previous years). As heyimderrick above says, this means kooks often attract a better resale value (more premium). They are both bullion coins though (not numismatics/collectables), so particularly insomuch as you aren't really interest in coins that much to begin with, if you just want to load up on silver, either will do.

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Koalas in my experience are more favored than Kooks overseas... must be the cuddly nature of the bears :)

6. Javacoffee

Javacoffee New Member

Koalas are cuter and in design compared to kooks but in terms of mintage and resale value, Kooks are much more sought after.

7. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

for current year silver, 2012 seems to be tipping towards kookaburras from my point of view. The koalas does not look terribly pretty from the photos.

8. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

Kooks over Koalas for me. Every time there has been a minor silver shortage kooks have always been in short supply whereas koalas are always available. imo the koalas for 2012 are gross and the kooks are very impressive.

At first I didn't like the 2012 Kook design until I saw the coin in the flesh and then had to buy more.

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The key really is supply. Kooks 1oz max 500,000 coins. Koalas 1oz max is unlimited. The earlier koalas like 07, 08 had small mintages and therefore you see them carry a premium over Kooks. But now Koalas have a much higher mintage due to the other fixed mintage Perth Mint coins (Lunar, Kook) reaching their mintages leaving only Koalas being minted for several months and hence in high numbers.

10. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

11. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. silvstack

silvstack Member

how about kooks v. pandas?
    actually i see mintages are higher but the demand is probably exponentially higher too.
    i'm new to these. apmex is offering kooks for US$40 and they sure are pretty, but some of the older ones are spectacular.

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, for the 2011 and 2012 youd want to be buying Kookaburras due to the fact the Koala mintages will be collossal.

In terms of chasing pre 2011 id say koalas are the better investment, the ample supply of the newer ones should see them gain notoriety world wide and a % of those investors will eventually chase the older ones (which have crazy low mintages!)

The potential upside for the koalas is great - and carded ones are well worth hanging onto IMO

Koala 2010 .......................... 100,000
    Koala 2009 .......................... 100,000
    Koala 2008 .......................... 84,057
    Koala 2007 .......................... 137,764

All less than the Kook which was 300K but has since been upped to 500K..

Carded Koalas can be picked up for just a couple of bucks extra but note the extremely low mintages

Koala 2009 .......................... 6,000 (early est)
    Koala 2008 .......................... 4,601
    Koala 2007 .......................... 3,060

I personally dont like the last few Koala designs and dont rate koalas on bullion but my opinion is not overly important.. Kooks on the other hand are by and large very cool.. and so i prefer to stack em..

I stocked up on Kooks but will not be buying 2012 koalas as there is far to much cool stuff out there at this stage anyway...

good luck and remember to dollar cost average so you have money to invest tomorrow when your knowledge increases!

1for1

14. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hey, well 2012 Kooks just sold out so if you didnt yet buy its basically to late..

The big difference is you can still pick up earlier kooks for a steal.. sometimes just a few bucks over spot.. using that rationale and understanding they are a "sleeper" investment the potential upside could be dramatic..

A lot of older pandas are realising considerable prices so to some extent at least, people are paying prices for pandas which reflect there scarcity, the same could not be said for the 300K and 500K Kooks which can all be picked up for under $50 each (2012-1990), the flip side is demand which pandas certianly have a potential to explode. On the other hand Kookaburras would only require a slight following or interest from bullion collectors to start getting tricky to find which would surely drive the prices up.

Pandas also retail higher by a few % so that is worth noting.

Id advise buying new pandas (2011 & 2012) and not touching the older ones until you advance your knowledge in the field.. When you get into pandas spot price becomes less relevant so it ceases to become bullion purchases and really emulates a numismatic investment.

Numismatic Investments are fickle with serious downside potential (the equivilant of a bubble AKA 2012 dragoons at $100) , for this reason i invest in bullion silver as close to spot as possible, i do think its worth paying a few bucks extra to get a lunar, panda, kook, kangaroo OR generic bullion rounds which are the cheapest such as buffalo or scottsdale BUT dont consider a Maple leaf or ASE or PAMPs to be worthy of paying any extra for.

1for1

15. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Mintages are actually as follows (maybe the Mint released new figures?):

Koala 2010 .......................... 233,531
    Koala 2009 .......................... 336,757
    Koala 2008 .......................... 84,057
    Koala 2007 .......................... 137,768

16. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, i pulled them from this site:

http://www.silverbullionworld.com/koalamintage.html

Not sure whose right or how the mintage's are so far off? regardless the point was maintained that earlier dates, despite being "unlimited" had small mintage's

1for1

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

so 2008 Koala should top the rank. :)

18. HoskinsStreet

HoskinsStreet New Member

Also got a kangaroo now...

19. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Rbaggio's numbers match what I have, which were sourced from the mint.

My prediction is that this year will be a massive mintage for the Koalas (due to the sellouts of the Dragons and Kooks), so older year Koalas will see a nice spike as their "rarity in the series" will increase.

20. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Koala Mintage's - Carded*

2007 FINAL COIN IN CARD MINTAGE: 3,060
    2008 FINAL COIN IN CARD MINTAGE: 4,601
    2009 FINAL COIN IN CARD MINTAGE: 6,292
    2010 FINAL COIN IN CARD MINTAGE: 2,752 (woo woo!)
    2011 FINAL COIN IN CARD MINTAGE: unknown

2010 is the winner for carded.

*stats pulled off Perth Mint Koala Pages

1for1