New panda collector

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by digoxin, Jan 25, 2012.

1. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

Would like to get advice from those with more experience about starting out a Panda collection.

Interested mainly in gold. With the lunars it appears that the 1 oz variety is favoured. Is that similar with the Pandas? From my cursory reading they also appears to be a big following for 1/2 oz gold bu. If you were starting a new collection and planning to get one or two similar coins each year which would go for. Also planning to get 1-2 1 oz gold PM lunars/gold eagle each year.

With regards to silver pandas I am lest enthused but happy to be convinced. I am leaning towards silver lunars and ASE at this stage. But which denomination panda would you collect on a year basis. With lunars prob accumulate 1 oz, 10 oz and a single 1 kg each year and probably 20 x 1 oz ASEs yearly.

Cheers

2. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I discard the eagles. I prefer 2009 or less pandas

3. серебро

серебро New Member

I would keep the eagles, if the price of silver is to rocket like so many on here beleive, they will be a better investment than Pandas. For silver to hit those hieghts and the sh-t does hit the fan they will be alot easier to off load than Pandas.

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Nothing wrong with having a diverse stack of low-cost bullion and premium numismatics.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the gold pandas. For kicks, I like the 1/20 oz. gold; they resell very well and have been seeing steady price appreciation (at least in my elementary tracking).

5. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Hmm, too much to say to write from my iPad right now.

Basically I would skip the ase and large size coins and buy popular (liquid) size lunars and pandas.

For bullion get the cheapest rounds or bars possible.

6. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the Panda Forum digoxin.

Here is a short guide on collecting Pandas that I wrote a little while ago.
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-18356-pr-beginners-guide-to-pandas.html

It shows you the performance of Pandas over time, and a few other handy bits of info that may be helpful to you.

I have a lot of ASEs, but I value my Pandas much much more. Here's why:

If you keep cash, you are losing purchasing power (inflation, etc).
    If you keep ASEs/bullion, you are maintaining your purchasing power (e.g. an ASE purchased in 2000, if sold today, only buys one 2012 ASE).
    If you keep Pandas, you are growing your purchasing power (e.g. a Panda purchased in 2000, if sold today, would buy more than 10x 1oz 2012 Pandas).

Welcome! Welcome!

7. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

Thanks a lot for replies. Still going through a step learning curve but really enjoying the process. While initially a bit confusing I am slowly grasping the subtle difference between 'accumulating' bullion for the metal value and 'collecting' bullion for its potential metal value + numismatic premium. I hear what you saying Yennus about how the Pandas have a good track record for this numismatic premium. Certainly there is a lot of upside in regards to the demand for Pandas with the burgeoning middle class in China and it could probably support the significant increase in supply of Pandas which China Mint is putting out.

The question is whether a a 1x1oz 2012 will equate 10x 1oz 2022 Panda. Will the growth run out of steam ? I am quite fond about the art and story with the Pandas so it will probably form a good part of my collecting.

Back to the coins which has more numismatic potential

1oz gold panda or 1/2 oz gold panda looking back and into the future

If you had a 1K in todays prices to spend on a yearly basis which silver panda or combination would you acquire?

Thanks again for the advice.

8. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The short answer is the rarest and best you can afford.

9. low

low New Member

The question is whether a a 1x1oz 2012 will equate 10x 1oz 2022 Panda.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Going forward, the value of new panda coins will follow spot price. Numismatic value will be minimum, if any. That is the current objective of the China Mint. Whether they achieved this or they changed their objective is another matter.

10. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, Pandas have all the advantages of bullion, plus more. I also like that Pandas are relatively price stable. E.g. the 2011s didn't fall below the $40 mark even silver tanked a couple of months ago... and yet demand for them was still high.

Yep, I think you got it :)

1x 1oz 2012 Pandas probably won't equate to 10x 1oz 2022 Pandas. But it will likely get your more than a 2012 ASE/Maple/Generic Bullion. I'm guessing that it will get at least 1.5-2x 2022 Pandas :) [which isn't too shabby when you consider a generic round will only get you a generic round 10 years later].

BIG3 for me :)

Really depends on your strategy... Investor or collector? Short, Mid, Long term? Keeper or Flipper?

Depends on when I hoped to make a profit on them... I'm more an investor, with a short term out look, with a like for flipping.
    So I would go for the BIG3, because there hasn't really been a slow down in demand for these... I also have been blessed that finding a single buyer for a single expensive coin has often been easier than finding many buyers for less expensive coins. Obviously this has some risks... but the rewards have so far outweighed the risks.

But when I started investing, I was much safer... sticking to bullion Pandas with a medium-to-long outlook. I made the switch to flipping when I wanted to actualize the gains to get more Pandas and bullion.

So far it's been a fun ride (win some, lose some). Pandas by far have given me the best returns... my ASE's and bullion have given me pretty shockingly bad returns (hard to make decent flips with these in a spot silver downturn).

A safe $1000 investment, with a mid-long term view, holding them... I would go for normal bullion 2011 or 2012 Pandas (gold or silver). Can't really lose... obviously the gains are not going to be fantastic... but it's a good start :)

Our pleasure :)

11. apples

apples New Member

Something I would suggest is finding a coin show or shop where you can view some pandas in person. Then you will have a chance to find out which size/denomination/metal you like the best.

As an example, I had a smattering of gold pandas for the longest time. While I enjoyed them, they were not as interesting as some of my other coins. Then I finally saw a quarter ounce sized gold panda and found that size to be excellent for my tastes.

12. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

I also like the 1/4 oz Gold Pandas. Am fortunate to have a few.

Pandas should be easier to sell than Lunars but if Lunarmania hits the MCC market, look out, will be wild. Esp. the for the first and second series release issues.

You may want to reconsider the early BU and Proof issue silver coins, they are beautiful, true collectors items. Most are highly prized and should stay that way for a long, long time. Others are quite rare so you own something that not a lot of people have, which is partly what I enjoy about MCCs. It's possible to have too rare a coin though, thereby narrowing your market for resale... probably having to use an auction house for those coins.

http://www.pandacoins.net/

http://www.livebusinesschat.com/ (badon/tamo's site of recommended investment quality coins... buy the NCS stuff)

Every dollar you invest in MCC will repay you back, it doesn't really matter what level/sort you invest in. So long as you purchase smart, buy graded coins.

13. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Also important to find out whether you are a collector or investor.

If I was only "collecting" and could spend let's say $3000/year, I would prefer to be adding a small coin every month or two instead of one big one a year, at least to start with.

I believe that there are bargains around everywhere, at all price points. For example I jumped on the 1/20 ounce train a few months ago, which then spiked a little.

Pick which size and colour you like the most, then begin your research to find out which ones appear to be undervalued in relation to the rest of that series.

1/2 and 1 ounce silvers are very popular and readily available if you want to buy a few coins at a good price.

But, first do lots of research. Work out whether you are going to buy coins in original mint packaging (OMP) or graded/slabbed (and then from which grading company).

Sort the plan out fully before making the first purchase, there is heaps to learn :)