NTR 10oz minted bars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Au-mageddon, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are about these bars, especially around how easily they can be sold back to bullion dealers or other stackers, when the time comes to sell.

I have just bought some of these bars from one of the Aussie bullion dealers, because 1) good price, 2) minted not cast, 3) individual bars are sealed,
    but wondering if I may have done the wrong thing.

Any helpful advice/thoughts you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

can't tell ya what to do BUT can tell ya what i did :) Avoid bars entirely and stick to coins or more specifically large Perth mint coins 10oz and 1kg.

If you do go with NTR bars expect to sell them at LESS of a premium then you brought them at IMHO again

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

4. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Beat me to it fishball - was just copying that one myself - it has a nice balance of like them/dislike them/couldn't sell them/there are fakes posts in there (and some rather nice pics).

5. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I like NTR bars a lot. They are great quality, and can be purchased at often the lowest premium over spot. You will not have any trouble reselling them. It is good to diversify your stack between low-cost bullion and coins with higher premiums. Bars are best for trading in my opinion. Also, while NTR bars can often be purchased new for as little as .50 over spot, they often resell within the same range of Engelhard and Johnson Matthey, etc., at least where I am located.

6. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If I get a flood of sellers dumping their silver bars trust me these are the last ones I would be buying if I can source more recognized brands.
    Materion branded bars (Silverstackers and Southern Cross), Pamp and Perth Mint are the silver bars I personally stack.

7. Irondog

Irondog New Member

^^+1

I ordered an NTR bar once, just to see what they were like, and will not purchase them again. Wasn't impressed and something didn't seem quite right with it...looked too much like chrome or summat. Maybe it was a fake...idk. NTR is hard to beat for value, though, if that's what you're after.

8. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Interesting. I have friends in the jewelry business and NTR has an outstanding reputation for providing quality metals. Not only that, they're global market makers. I seriously doubt your bar was fake, and I am surprised that you are questioning the quality. I have or have had bars from all of the big names and I have to say that the NTR bar is minted better than some of my Scottsdale, Engelhard and JM products. But to each their own. If I'm buying a bar, I want the best value from a reputable name. NTR provides that. They're also showing up at many more dealers at the shows I frequent.

9. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

sh*t that was quick - just saw a small stack of NTR bars at W Davis this afternoon - did somebody dump them based on this thread ?

Never seen NTR before - and I agree they did look like they had a chrome finish

10. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are minted rather than cast - hence shiny (i.e. Like Pamp etc)

I'm amazed at the negativity some show to this brand and for reasons that make no sense - wierd, I just don't get it. Is it because dealers don't make as many dollars on the premiums?

The reasons shown against them hold no water as far as i can see

Forgeries? : Apparently examples of 5oz NTR's were mentioned, I haven't heard of the 10oz being forged? (besides, Perth Mint coins are forged along with many popular bars, do they get the same negativity whenever they are mentioned?) :/

Too shiny? : I mean really!

Too cheap?: errr isn't that a good thing? :rolleyes:

11. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I would have thought a mint bar trumped a cast bar ... even moreso given the price.

Especially one with a cover so you cant get fingerprints everywhere.

Silver is silver right?

12. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Heyimderrick is an experienced player in the bullion/numi game and his opinion should be taken seriously. NTR is one of the best values in the market and I don't question their quality. The NTR bar I received was in the original factory plastic pouch, was in excellent condition and weighed 31.1g...so no complaints there. I took it out of the plastic to handle/inspect it and my subjective/qualitative observation was that the color/finish just didn't seem quite right to me. I have JM, Engelhard "big E", SilverTowne, and Sunshine Mint "silver eagle" 10 oz bars in my stack.....all of those being produced by a minting or extrusion process. I feel more comfortable paying a slightly higher premium to get bars that look correct to me. Just my personal preference based on my very limited knowledge and experience, that's all. I am not a bullion dealer nor affiliated with any bullion dealers BlackSheep....although it would be nice if I was hahaha.

13. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

NTR bars are for silver investors.

Premiums are for coin and jewellery investors.

14. RMP

RMP New Member

NTR bars are very popular in Western Canada. And it seems like they're everywhere now. I'd sooner buy an NTR bar than pay the premiums for a JM or Engelhard bar that some dealers charge.