us dealers other than apmex ...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silvstack, Jan 23, 2012.

1. silvstack

silvstack Member

hello -

apmex just opened an office in the state i reside. in the u.s. sales between states are not subject to sales tax, but sales within a state are subject to sales tax - so how i'm hit with a 8.625% mark-up on everything unless i have things mailed to some out of state address (which i might do in the future).

so i'm wondering who else people purchase from - i really appreciated apmex's wide selection, sometimes unusual items and sale and clearance items, and i thought their prices were decent (though at first glance i see some things at a company called gainesvillecoins are cheaper).

any recommendations?

2. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Look into NY state law governing bullion purchases. In some states, larger bullion purchases are exempt from sales taxes...eg. in California, bullion purchases exceeding $1500 are exempt from sales tax. Gainesville is often mentioned but I have no experience with them. I've used goldmart.com....great prices on buffalo rounds, cougars and bars.....great prices but no selection. Golddealer.com is legit, but I think they have a rather large minimum order. Of course if you are big time, it's hard to beat Tulving. You might search craigslist for silver bullion and coins. Goldenstatemint makes some nice looking rounds in various sizes, including fractional rounds. Just some ideas....good luck finding what you're looking for silvstack.

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

for lower quantities - goldmart.com, providentialmetals.com, and apmex.com (in that order)

for larger quantities tulving.com

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Yeah i would try some of these and some of the smaller companies. I would personally avoid gainsville they used to be pretty good when they were smaller but my experience lately has been bad and I think they just dont care about customers anymore.

5. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

Try Silvertowne. Type in Free shipping in the search bar and some of the items they sell should pop up in a list. Also, during the past few months their selection has been expanding. I've purchased from them several times with good service.,

http://www.silvertowne.com/

6. jbg1

jbg1 New Member

Yeah silvertowne is great fast free shipping on their bars and world coins

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Ditto on avoiding Gainesville. Lied to by the people and received damaged coins they refused to take back.

8. silvstack

silvstack Member

my experience with apmex turned really sour ... their customer service and customer regard is awful, really really doesn't care about a customer even after making a relatively large order - abysmal. i found their pricing to be fair, a tiny bit high, but especially appreciated their website and range of products, but i'm over it. i didn't know silvertown sold world coins but apparently so - so thanks for all those names, i'll do some footwork.

9. jbg1

jbg1 New Member

also monarch precious metals is good, but they charge 2$ for credit cards...a other thing silvertowne doesnt charge for

10. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

I feel your pain silvstack.Also a new yorker and apmex was my #1 supplier.I found that when you factored in the sales tax and the delivery charges(very high)I was paying about 15% more than other dealers.My dealers of choice is now goldmart,provident,and monarch.I still get apmexs e mails on their sales and it drives me crazy.

11. silvstack

silvstack Member

two things about that ... i found that delivery to a nearby fed-ex office is the most convenient - deliver to "hold" because that meant i did not have to be home to receive a package, i could pick it up on the way home. but now i wonder if i can do the same thing with a fed ex office right across the river in new jersey. it's just a thought mostly because apmex really totally just blew me off - i'm astounded they don't make the least effort towards a customer, that they figure any customer who has any dissatisfaction can piss off. and i am pissed off. and i found that gainsville's 2012 koalas are cheaper - go figure! thanks!

12. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Provident are way-cool... Apmex pretty much has it covered but totally robotic to deal with - Tulving looks like a bring & buy joint but good for bigger & value purchases & great sales support... Or there's always Gold Is Money if you fancy joining a Church & keeping Mike Moloney & Bobster Kiyosaki rich lol! x

13. RoadLizard

RoadLizard New Member

Ditto on APMEX being a waste. Not only are their regular prices some of the highest but they also have the most obnoxious shipping fees AND they jack us NYS residents with sales tax now too. Guess what? That completely rules them out for me, even if there is a sale or a coupon. I use their website to look at coins and get dimensions of coins but thats it. Too bad, my first few purchases 3-4 years ago were through them and I thought they were pretty good.

Lately, Im all over Provident, especially for the smaller buyer. They have good initial prices, fast/fair shipping, and good CS. They are out of stock on items for too long sometimes but thats a minor thing. Dont overlook Monarch and Westminster either - both have good buys on some items and are worth checking out.

Also, keep an eye on the various forums. Ive bought and sold using the forums and always get good deals.

Good Luck! :D

14. Bosscocky

Bosscocky New Member

Which of these dealers are good to go for Australia without eg. $15000 minimum or whatever?

15. rodrigo

rodrigo New Member

Silvertowne and Scottsdale Silver - woot!

Good product and customer service.

Want instant gratification on silver purchases? Look for the seller scottsdalesilver on eBay. Depending on price of silver and people bidding, you can pay a few dollars premium over buying direct....but it can satisfy your "gotta have it" craving.

16. silvstack

silvstack Member

considering that the location you indicate here is in the same u.s. state as the seller you recommend (almost an hour away) and that the volume of that seller is large enough that your own transactions would surely be charged arizona sales tax, i'm guessing you are not a customer but merely promoting your own interests. thanks for the tip though!

woot?

17. rodrigo

rodrigo New Member

They don't have a store front, as I have already asked them. I would just go there and get my goods without dealing with the whole eBay thing. I have purchased from them on eBay and don't care how they handle the tax issue on their end, as were both in the same state - I'm the customer and just want my silver (ha-ha). :cool:

Don't know the volume they do, was just trying to be helpful is all. :rolleyes:

Chill out bro, its not all cloak and dagger ya know. ;)