if you were reconfiguring 300 oz generic stack to numismatics ...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silvstack, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mfm

mfm New Member

So how are new pandas hedged against the RMB? If the RMB appreciates over USD then the spot price will be lower in RMB and the price of the pandas in RMB will drop.

My 2011 silver pandas lost over 100 yuan each in value in the last months...

2. wilkes

wilkes Member

2011 Panda coins have appreciated in value actually... Of course, that depends entirely on what you paid for them!

3. Terry88

Terry88 Member

+1
    this is what I've been doing. So, I don't worry about the price going up, down etc. Only focusing on one item. Nice way to collect. I never had the money to buy my wife a Diamond Ring for the Engagement nor the money to give her a lavish Wedding Day. So. I plan on buying a setof 20's Lunars for her over the next few years as an Anniversary present.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

There is a significant likelihood that China is actually going to devalue the yuan this year against the USD vs. the conventional wisdom of increasing the yuan vs. the USD. China growth is slowing sharply and they are far less concerned about inflation right now and far more concerned about economic growth. In time, I believe any devaluation will be reversed, so I wouldn't concern myself with intra-year currency fluctuations. Jim Rickards is someone who writes extensively on this subject and has a new book out called Currency Wars. I follow him on kingworldnews.com. Here is the latest interview by Eric King with Rickards:

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn..._Wars,_Gold_&_Inflation_Worse_than_1970s.html

5. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

I was going to point that out. Its a great view from the top (when you climbed the mountain). catching a chair lift doesn't count.

6. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi PrettyPrettyShinyShiny,

Indeed, it could be in a bubble... but I really really doubt it.

Has coin collecting and bullion stacking in China reached the peak? ... far from it (in my view).

I could be completely wrong though... I'm not perfect yet.

7. lukemarshall

lukemarshall Member Silver Stacker

I personally have reconfigured some of my stack, selling off some of the generic and high premium bars to stack up on

1. Mexican Onzas

2. Canadian Maples

3. American Silver Eagles

4. 90% Junk silver

The reason I did this is I want recognizible bullion with a premium over generic. And being in the U.S. look at our borders... Onza/Maple

Sure you could go with pandas and takus and Isle of man crown cats ect.... But when it comes down to it people around here are gonna trust what you have in those 4 items.

Just my 2 cents

8. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

IMO

Pandas are crapola, too many fakes floating about, too hard to move unless slabbed due to so many dodgys around

I would hit up sone lunars and kooks myself

cheers

9. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

My sentiment is similar. However, Yennus is walking in different shoes to both yourself & myself. If I could speak fluent Mandarin/Cantonese, then I would probably be specializing in Pandas like Yennus, and you would probably do likewise. IMO, dollar for dollar, Yennus will make a lot more money than most of us, because of his ability to span two worlds. Each to their own...

10. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

Nothing against yennus, just my opinion.

11. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

No worries mate. And neither did I interpret it that way.

12. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any ideas on shipping silver coin to Singapore? is it restricted? thanks

13. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

You can buy Perth Mint products in Singapore, http://www.goldsilvercentral.com.sg/

14. silvstack

silvstack Member

thanks. actually the mexican onzas, the ones from the '80s, are my all-time favorite ... besides being the most stunning, once i handled some and they felt amazing! (the older ones, with the minting press and balance motifs, are also stunning but they don't have the dimensions/weight to make it perfect to my subjective liking). just like we don't test every coin that passes our hands, i agree that in a post-SHTF world our money will need to be identifiable - that's why i got rid of my ultra-generic silver (you know, the "happy valentine" rounds, etc.), and i appreciate the continental spin of your collecting.

BUT IN THE MEANTIME, i expect onzas to continue to demand a bit of a premium over silver but not much. so rather than just stack, i'd like to gamble that premium, like 10% or maybe more even, towards something i can swap in for more later on. for instance, in seven years i can sell my sheet of 30 2011 pandas for two sheets of 2019 pandas or whatever seems interesting at the time. because i think now is a great time, when things feel apocolyptic but i feel that time isn't quite here yet, so i want to play the game for a round, risking that premium.

in any case i'm thinking pandas figure in to my plan (i'm guessing they'll be released on chinese new year and i will probably wait for the initial panda stampede to subside) and i'm deciding what other coins factor in here.

15. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, that makes sense to me... I am just about to do a trade where two 1oz coins (early 2000 Pandas) will get me 30x 1oz coins (late 2000 Pandas).

You normally don't need to wait a huge amount of time to get a good return on the Pandas either.

I got in late in the game, but fortunately the 2009s have matured well within just a few short years.

A 1oz 2009 Panda should get 2x 1oz 2011 Pandas or the cash equivalent ($85-95). A pretty sweet return in a fairly short amount of time :)

Same with the 2010s, they are tracking well, despite having a relatively high mintage.

The 2011s seem to be price stable too at this stage, and I share your sentiments... in 2019, I'm confident your 2011s will be worth a lot more than that years release too.

16. asdfghjkl32

asdfghjkl32 Member

Advantages of Panda / Lunars over ASE / Maples are the potential of growth in premium, and limited risk. I'm with Yennus in this theory, but I certainly won't go too crazy, coz really too many fake pandas.

I bought 4 sets of 2012 dragon typesets from Perth Mint when they were launched, and sold all of them with nice 4 digit net profit. I then spent all money on 10oz dragons, smaller rabbits which were in low premium, planting new seeds for next year. Kind of same theory I think, but less risk and less mintage compare to pandas.

Purely telling my history, not to teach people how to trade. :)

17. silvstack

silvstack Member

i purchased 20 kookaburras from apmex - each coin was in a capsule and the twenty coins were wrapped in plastic. i called apmex and asked if the plastic wrapping came from apmex or was original mint packaging and was told that apmex wrapped them. given someone else's demonstrating that pcgs has an interest in having MS70 coins graded and sold separately i wonder if roll aficionados purchase "rolls" in some other (more "straight from the mint") fashion or if my concern is somehow overly-paranoid or at least beyond a normal person's ability to work-around. otherwise it seems those full sheets and monster boxes of pandas are the best way to avoid apmex's potentially cherry-picking out ms70s.

18. silvstack

silvstack Member

thanks all - i placed the order ... several britannias, more than several koalas, a few fijis, and a few pandas, various years for each. and it was fun shopping, who knew!?!?

19. wilkes

wilkes Member

So many people are scared of Panda fakes, it's ridiculous.

I have seen some Panda fakes and even a novice like myself can tell instantly. Buying from reputable dealers/sellers and using the Paypal guarantee on Ebay ensures safety.

Also... Just buy them slabbed... NGC guarantee all of their coins.

So, now the 'fakes' argument is removed, why else wouldn't you stack Pandas over other numismatics? No other series has the same investment potential.