Best way to go about a large purchase?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wrcmad, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ossie

Ossie Member

Can't go wrong with a monster box!
    Compact, great premium on the bars and the most liquid bars going around

2. Silber

Silber Member

Aspects like diversification, sources, sizes and and liquidity have been pointed out here. But from my personal view, I wanted to emphasize again what may be a very important point that was already mentioned by trew and VRS:

You should consider NOT to make one large purchase at all.

It can be very annoying: In September, I made a "large" purchase (for me - far less than 600 Oz...). Three days later I could have bought the same amount for 30% less fiat.

Nobody knows what the sliver price will be in 3 months. It could be 50$ or 20$. Many people will make more or less profound guesses, and even by chance, some will be right (and say: "I told you so" :rolleyes: ). But in fact, nobody knows.

My recommendation would be to buy 100 Ozs now, the next 100 Ozs in one month, the next 100 Ozs in two months... (or maybe even 50 Ozs every two weeks)

Of course, this can also be "annoying", when the price rises, and in 6 months you think "I should have bought it all at once, 6 months ago...". And in fact, most of the time I thought exactly that: "I should have bought it earlier (preferably 3 years ago, at 15$/Oz ;) )". But due to the very high volatility that silver has undergone recently, a single large purchase IMHO is pretty much gambling...

But of course, this is just a hint - the final decision is up to you :)

3. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

My advice would be dont seek advice on here bec ause you will be bombarded with a rainbow of different opinions - all held passionately.

I am glad that people here genuinely want to help others though :)

4. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Ahh but that is the nature of the beast. Only watching and researching the market will help you with this,but lets face it even the experts get it wrong,can be a hard call sometimes.
    However a couple of bucks here or there will be absorbed over the long term.

5. Silber

Silber Member

@SilverSanchez: I think there's nothing wrong with gathering a broad spectrum of opinions, and building one's own opinion, based on these and further research. The "average" of the points made here may lead to a good decision - although the basic message is fairly obvious, and until now, nobody recommended buying 6000 1/10th ounce coins or one no-name 600 ounce bar :) My recommendation was fairly independent of the others, not referring to the sizes and brands, but to avoid going "all in" at once in such volatile times. Just something to think about - a hint, but no advice.

6. locksmithuk

locksmithuk Member

@wrcmad, I realise that this thread may be getting cold, but I've only just seen it.

I think 2 important things to factor into your decision are: a) your investment term, and b) convenience of disposal.

a) At the moment spot is around $30/oz. If you're in silver for the long term (let's say 15 years for argument's sake) then you could ask what the point is of spreading your purchase over a few months - why not just buy it all now and hold? We may all be wrong, but there seems to be a general consensus that you'd be lucky to see silver below $25/oz anytime soon, if ever. Also, shopping around & negotiating dealer prices on 600oz ($19,000 after dealer premiums) of metal now may turn out to be less relevant down the track if spot moves to $500/oz and you're sitting on a large gain of $281,000. That said, passing up the chance to negotiate for a little more weight for your money now means lower total gains in future. It becomes a question of how much gain is enough for you.

b) I've read several posts which advise stackers not to worry about having 100oz bars (or a monster 482oz bar), and that they'd be just as easy to shift as a 1kg bar. That may well be true, but having to dispose of a large chunk of valuable metal if you only need a relatively small amount of cash in a hurry becomes frustrating. Applied to that $500/oz scenario, a monster bar would be worth $241,000... not so easy when all you wanted to buy with your silver bar was a small hatchback & a couple of new tyres.

I can't see that you'd have too many problems if you stuck to say 1kg bars: they'll still be easily tradeable and - if the planets all align etc etc - still be worth a fair amount as individual bars. For this reason I'd personally prefer to hold smaller bars & maintain trading flexibility, but when all's said & done it's really just about what investment term & mix of sizes work best for you and your own circumstances.

7. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

If this 600oz is going to be all you buy and then sit on it, then I would diversify into a few different sizes as a few have suggested.

If this 600oz is just the beginning, then having 600oz in 100oz bars as a core position could prove a good move.

8. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

An ASE (or similar) Monster Box, that takes care of 500 oz...

and 300 round 50s for the convenience !

Agree with Ossie... "Can't go wrong with a monster box!"

and you have great suppliers right here @ Silver Stackers sponsors !!!

9. pixiie

pixiie New Member

I have bought most of my purchases through the mob on the Gold Coast. Excellent private customer service, phone fax and email options also. Delivery or pickup, your choice. Also used bullionmark online and they were great. Would def use them again.