FAKE and GENUINE 2011 Maples, side by side....

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Matthew 26:14, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

A comprehensive pictorial fake coin /real coin comparison thread would sure be handy.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Copy pasta!

he sent the same reply to me but I imagine he probably received a few emails so was trying to save time!

Plus.... the "A Maple" is not a specific enough moniker, all Maples have an 'A'.

It needs to be the "Low Bar A" or the "Dropped Bar A" or the "Short Veined Maple".

Plus anything that needs a comparrison to the geniune will be hard for someone new to the hobby to pick up on, unless you already know where the bar on the geniune Maple is you may end up second guessing yourself as to whether your one is higher or lower than you remember the geniune one.

A completely missing device, like the leaf veins not extending all the way to the tips or veins missing completely is a lot easier for me to remember as it requires no comparisons to the geniune coin, which I don't own any of anyway.

Also handy if you can put the year in there somewhere as well, e.g. "2011 Missing Vein" Fake Maple. This tells you everything you need to know about the fake, what year is stamped on it, what the distinguishing feature is, whether it is a variety or a fake and what coin it is.

If we start seeing a lot of these you will appreciate the additional info in the name, particularly when it comes to discussing them.

3. hungry_jono

hungry_jono New Member

I am not sure of anyone else's thoughts, but I think this thread should be made a sticky (or that pretty much anything that contains a detailed analysis of fakes should be made a sticky given the current relevance).

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Did the fake maple get put in an XRF machine in the end and what was the outcome?

5. Ossie

Ossie Member

the 2012 Silver maples do not have milk spots. Well at least the ones we have, I opened a few tubes and they look pretty sweet.

Like I always say pay the extra dollar and buy from a reputable dealer to know your stuff is real.