New Zealand Mint 2012 1 OZ silver proof lunar dragon WOW SO GOOD HOT!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 1for1, Dec 30, 2011.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Anyone else seen this ultra-cool New Zealand Mint Year of the Dragon Proof Coin.. i saw it on ebay for $80 Australia and it seems like a totally superior product to that of the PM's (yawn) rehashed mirrored 2000 dragon.. man Perth Mint make some rubbish decsions.. anyway.. its fekin awesome!

Craps all over the Gilded PM Dragon ne?

[​IMG]

Only info i could find was here: (extra pictures and some product info)

http://galeforcesales.blogspot.com/2011/12/2012-1-oz-silver-proof-lunar-dragon.html

Its a $2 Legal Tender coin

2. Guest

Guest Guest

That's a great design.

A specimen version would probably turn a better profit. Not really a fan of gilded / mixed metal coins personally.

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Yeah i dont know why they dont run a bullion equiviliant at say $50... the market is open for another 1 oz bullion dragon with a limited mintage.. i dont count the pamp bar... sorry pamp.. not limited and overpriced like all pamp with no mintage guarentee!

I do love the packaging on this one and for $80 its a lot cheaper and better quality than the 109 gilded crap coming out of PM, well done NZ Mint on this beautiful design!

1for1

4. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow - thx for that - really nice kit! Agree it makes the PM gilded look like a Christmas Cracker freebie lol!

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Interesting, the gilded/proof has a $2 face value where the bullion one is only a round. I presume is like $2 in Tuvalu or Cook Islands?

The Perth Mint 2012 dragon design was pathetic. A mirror of the 2000 design. But hey what do they care, they were all sold out on the release day so they got their money, nothing else matters.

6. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Looks like it came from the same dragon design, but the mould for the strike appears a bit different in a number of areas, like where the whiskers cross the scales, claw details, and the general quality of the strike. Unless, of course, the gilded picture is a mock up that is superior to the actual coin... But it does look very cool...

7. TomD

TomD Member

Thanks for that, I found the coin offered at Gainesville Coin for $80 US and bought one. I feel lucky. We'll see if it photos as well as it shows above.

8. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

No this one is only a generic round Gainsville just stole the design , they just had do make theyre own round since APMEX did it , personally i like the APMEX bars better for the same price and I would not deal with a dishonest company like Gainsville.
    I like the New Zealand coin it looks nice just dont confuse it with the Gainsville crap.

9. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

+1

Have been looking high and low for another way to get one of these coins - Gainesville wanted $71 postage for one coin - how they can justify that price amazes me, think they just don't want the hassle of posting overseas!

I also sent NZ Mint an email having a whinge that nearly half of their coins are unavailable for purchase except through American dealers, made a comment about how they obviously don't want my money :D - can't get the Star Wars sets, the Titanic sets, the Taku's, the Swordfish etc etc - I just don't get their retail philosophy :rolleyes:

Maybe a small group buy to spread out the postage costs?

EDIT: Just found their ebay store - only 1 coin listed (not the dragon) and $120 postage!!

10. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Does anyone knoe the mintage on these ? I cant even find them on the NZ mints website, unless I am looking at the wrong mint

11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

to answer my own question I am seeing a mintage of just 2500! thats pretty low I am guessing they cant just make more of them but I dont know for sure. I have to take back what I said about gainsville stealing the design I would guess since gainsville is a big distributer they may have an agreement with the mint to use the design on the silver rounds.They have a maximum order of 250 so they must have a very large allocation .I would think once they start getting delivered you will se a flood of them on ebay initially like everything else and prices go down, then when the flippers are sold out the price may start going up on the limited mintage , but i dont know if there is as much interest in NZ lunar coins , I dont know why, but that can change. I hope the actual coin looks as nice or nicer than the cad picture.

12. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

i would think they are released since GV is selling them as in stock.

13. Silver Somchai

Silver Somchai New Member

Agreed. The PM guided dragons certainly look like junk compared to the NZ version.

Count me in if there's any group buying action happening! :)

14. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I am still looking for a way to buy myself... the only one id seen has now sold on ebay..

The image does look like a computer graphic so i am skeptical that the product won't be nearly as nice in hand, however i am still very interested in obtaining.

If i find a source i will let the community know but gainsville is not an option for me as i dont trade with pirates.

1for1

15. stextc

stextc New Member

Wow!
    Can you buy these direct from nzmint.com?

16. AndyRoo68

Short answer - No. But am trying to call them to find out if the entire allocation was made for Gainesville or if they may be available directly from NZ at some future date. Wish the NZ Mint would answer their bloody phone!!! :)

17. stextc

stextc New Member

Doh!
    If you do find anything, let me know.
    Would be interested in grabbing a couple. :)

18. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

I will do a group buy for the above if enough interest in a buy from Gainsville. I would have to order at least $2000.00 worth of products. There is 10% GST to be attatched to price of the NZ Mint 2012 year of the Dragon, as they are proofs. Everyone shares the Shipping fee and Entry surcharge of $55.50. I ask for a $5.00 handling fee.
    If interested please PM me.
    Regards Maggie

19. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I will have some soon and will get more if they look good , I would be fine getting you guys some too ifyou want let me know. I want to see the coins first though just to be sure.

20. AndyRoo68

Can get through to the Mint, but no one answering phones, have tried half a dozen times and keep getting voicemail. Seems their phone system about as useful as their emails - neither get answered! :D

Will be travelling to NZ in a month or so, plan to get some 2012 NZ Treasure Proof silver coins, the exchange rate is great and if I can fit a few in my suitcase will save on postage :) - plus check out what else is on offer.

EDIT: Maggie doing a Gainesville EOI, so easier for me to purchase through her - much easier than trying to deal with NZ Mint plus supporting a fellow stacker :)