Storing precious metals above ground

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Gold Kiwi, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Gold Kiwi

Gold Kiwi New Member Silver Stacker

This post may come across as rather nonsensical but occasionally I have random thoughts like this and I thought it was a little bit funny and worth sharing.

A lot of people have talked about burying PMs in their back yard or even in the middle of nowhere, but has anyone considered above ground storage?

What on earth are you talking about Green Lantern? OK, so what's the opposite of burying your PMs six feet underground? How about storing them 60 feet above ground, like up a really tall tree?

What are the requirements? Let's see.
    1. You'd need some land containing suitable trees - tall, green, with lots of foliage to hide the loot in
    2. Preferably in a low fire risk area - lush, green foliage, not tinder dry
    3. No nosy neighbours wondering what the hell you're doing
    4. Suitable climbing equipment and the skills to use it

OK, so this post was intended as a bit of a laugh, but I think it would actually be quite a secure storage location. If you could manage to scale a really tall tree and find some way to securely tie a suitable storage container to the tree, in a location that wasn't visible from the ground, I reckon it would be a better option than hiding it inside your house.

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

so money really does grow on trees

3. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

The problem herein is wind, broken tree limbs (expecially with extra weight on them), and thus, exposed PM's that "fell from the sky".

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is lightning a consideration? ie attracted to metal etc.

5. brixnmorta

brixnmorta New Member

I would have thought the plastic covers would have acted as an insulator and therefore stopped the lightning attraction..... having said that it is a good point and to reduce the chance it may be worth picking the smaller of two trees located together.

I like the lateral thinking in this post as I too have been looking at the various storage options and when I asked my friend back in the UK for his advice, his reply was (rather than tell me where his stack was stashed) to "get creative". I think this ranks highly in that category.

Of course you may need some of these....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Buckingh...962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb99442a2

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

you could always plant a strangler fig seed on top of your safe, Would take while for it to completely cover the safe and it would be a bit difficult getting to your money but inside a tree would be difficult for anyone else to find.

This was not my original idea, I was going to stack a load of bricks up into a room sized cube and then plant half a dozen of the strangler figs on the roof and when they had covered the entire pile I was going to remove the bricks and leave a room sized hole in the trees. Not sure what I was going to do after that so it is probably just as well I don't have a lot of bricks.

7. notanother

notanother New Member

Nothing wrong with above ground, try an old piece of exercise equipment. You could roll the silver and gold in a towel and sit the towel on the seat of an exercise bike and I would guarantee no one would ever go near it.

8. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

Aboveground storage = quality safe

Hiding things won't help if thieves have backscatter vans or similar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iABPKd0vFxQ[/youtube]

9. notanother

notanother New Member

Good point PM bug. If I ever get a safe I will make sure I stack a pile of deep-cycle batteries between it and the road outside. That should confound it do you think?

10. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

I would hope that they are not capable of seeing through lead, but I don't know for sure what the limitations are for the technology (or the precise details of how it works).

11. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Best place above ground apart from the obvious (safe ) is a beehive. Think about it! :p