Why the focus on silver?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by hem9, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

lol - when does your definition of "history" begin? 70 years ago?? :lol:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Most stackers will defend their choice of being gold heavy or silver heavy. We all like a bit of positive thinking aye ;)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

.....At the end of the day it is the GSR being the driving factor for me being more bullish on silver. Also the supply and demand side of things is pretty damn convincing.

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

5. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

So you think Silver is the safer option of the two? please let me know why.
    While you're at it let me know what signs you see right now that would have you buy Silver over Gold. Forget what may or may not happen in 5 years for a second.

In all honesty if I had fiat i'd probably rate that over PMs right now...

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Unless you are somebody who is leveraged up to the eyeballs, I dont see any scenario that would make silver any less 'safe' an investment than gold.

Silver is certainly a superior investment compared to gold at this point in time. It's way more undervalued, and since i dont have to sell my silver at any particular time other than that of my choosing, i intend to benefit from that fact.

If you reckon fiat is a better option right now then you should absolutely sell all your PMs asap!! :lol:

7. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Sure, you don't have to sell but why buy at a time where you risk losing out on your investment? wouldn't it make sense to buy at the low so you get more physical for your money?
    I don't think all those guys who bought in the 40s are too happy with their investment right now, it is looking like those buying in the high 30s may be in the same boat shortly if Silver dips into the 20s.

There is a time to hold onto fiat, as annoying as it is. Don't get me wrong, ultimately you want all your spare cash in PMs but I like to spend it wisely so I get more for my money. My strategy of only buying at certain prices means I am far better off than someone who buys all the way up (and down), I still don't understand that way of thinking and probably never will.

Not selling my core stack but certainly not adding to it, come mid 20s i'll look to buy.

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

cash is good and handy when there are ready silver to be had near mid 20's again :p

buying and buying is case by case basis, someone who have a very low average cost and a huge pile of them can certainly do the buying without even looking.

so if you have a higher average cost, then it will be better if only the new purchase price is lower than your current average cost, else it will have not big a meaning, unless the paper dollar going to doll doll.

not selling?, if you are presented with an opportunity to gain, why not? say you have a kilo bar, and you also holding cash, and some one new to PM want to get the kilo bar at a much better price, you can sell him and at the same time buy from another person cheaper, so long as the cost and time involved is worth it. the rest is relative. :)

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I've got a few ASEs which I bought for $50 that agree with your post :p

Looking like an awesome and fantastic investment right about now with around 30% decrease in value !!!!!

10. MetalMajix

MetalMajix Member

Another Robert, Robert Kiyosaki, is a Silver bug.
    He said isn't selling until around 2016.

11. alor

Kiyosaki bought below $17 usd, if he was not selling at $48 about, why would he be selling $32 ABOUT. :)

12. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

30s is cheap imo its averaged over its current price over the last year. I'm not backing up the truck (already did that when it hit hi 20s in sept) but I'm making as regular purchases as I can afford gold below 1700 usd is a bargain to I'd say. Sure it might go lower but I have a feeling getting metal and for a reasonable premium will be difficult if it does. That's why you buy on the dips because nobody can call the low.

13. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

In a couple of years you'll look like a financial genius!

14. hbBear

hbBear New Member

While I agree the rapid climb in the silver price between January and May '11 was not sustainable, I don't see how you could call this a bubble.

The forces that created the 'smack down' in May were not free market forces. Had there not been x4 rapid margin hikes who knows how high silver may have risen before free market forces resulted in a price drop.

We could have possibly seen a rise to $60-70 p/oz before sellers (seeking profit taking) overwhelmed buyers with a collapse back down to maybe $40-45, thereby creating a new higher base for further consolidation.

Secondly, silver has always been a monetary metal however our poor educational system has trained us to believe that history only began in the last 100 years.

The transition of gold/silver money systems into today's fiat system was a two step process. First silver was de-monetized thereby forcing all countries to use only gold as money. From memory I think this was approx 1873 (Coinage Act)? Then eventually the world lost the backing of gold via Nixon.

15. alor

"it looks like gold supporter NEVER ask the question, where does paper money comes from?"
    answer "GOLD backed currencies"

it was the consolidation of gold power in the hands of GB Central Bankers, but before they could do that, SILVER was taken out of the bi-metallic equation two hundreds years back in 1873+

gee it takes a better and full understanding to really restore gold and silver to the original TRUST by the people.