NCS Conservation

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by comeaux, Nov 16, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Here is an example of NCS Conservation ...

[​IMG]

2. Mohur

Mohur New Member

I'm sure there is a photo in your post, but i can't see it at the mo (work firewall).
    Some collectors have suggested that NCS conservation can make coins appear too shiny, almost artifical? What is your opinion on this?
    Cheers
    M

3. comeaux

hello Mohur ... yes the picture is probably being blocked by your server and yes I have been very satisfied with NCS.

I wish I had some before and after shots of all of my submissions, they have done a phenomenal job.

I do have a recent 1989 submission that looked really bad and after submission to NCS it graded 69 and looks awesome.

It's one of those preference things were each individual will have an opinion but I am of the opinion that I want my coins stabilized and protected from future deterioration.

4. Mohur

Mohur New Member

Sounds good to me :) Will take a look when i get home tonight.
    cheers
    M

5. comeaux

I will also take some pictures of a few 2008 silver pandas that I sent to NCS.

I think I may have mentioned this in another post but I forget (early stages of Alzheimer's maybe :D).

When I initially purchased them off of ebay for approximately $55 I was really pleased thinking I got a fairly good deal until they arrived and looked like someone had dug them up out of their back yard with a shovel after being buried for a year. I went from happy to sad very quickly.

I sent all four of them to NCS and ALL FOUR were beautifully conserved/restored and I could not believe that all four graded 69 as well.

I will take pictures of the conserved coins they look phenomenal.

Another thing is that NCS is not merely "cleaning" these coins as we all know that this can damage the coin and lower its value. NCS can even tell if your submitted coin has been cleaned. To substantiate this I can offer this example whereas I bought three 2009 silver pandas at spot, again thinking I got a great deal. Upon submitting them they were returned ungraded but holdered as "details" and labeled with harsh cleaning. I still have two of them holdered and one has been busted out for a play toy for Tinky.
    Why couldn't I have silver pandas as play toys when I was a kid ???!!! :(

[​IMG]

On a side note I recently visited the New Orleans Mint, as a testament to the capabilities of NCS here is a brief story on their conservation of shipwreck coins.

This mint is no longer in production but it is open to the public for viewing, many of its artifacts are totally awesome. Along with some of the tremendous displays were a set of "shipwreck" coins that were recovered from the SS Republic which sank off of the coast of Georgia 138 years ago loaded with silver. For the first time ever, NGC has certified a group of shipwreck coins from the S.S. Republic with the unique pedigree that identifies each coin as have been struck at the New Orleans Mint while under control of the Confederate States of America.

These shipwreck coins on display at The New Orleans Mint that were conserved by NCS & graded by NGC are absolutely stunning if you look at what they had to initially work with. They basically had a ball of coins stuck together that actually looked like a rock covered with barnacles. The finished product of beautiful, glistening coins looking almost like the day they were minted and holdered in NGC slabs.

I was very impressed with their work.

Everyone has their opinion but mine is that NCS/NGC are a valuable grading/authentication company held in high reverence by many of those in the world of various sorts of collectibles.

The world's largest museum, The Smithsonian Institute also utilizes NCS/NGC for conservation, grading & authentication of various coins and other historical artifacts.