Loupes for the panda lover

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by fishball, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

I just relised I needed a loupe just like everyone else in this tread.

I went with this one below from eBay.

40X Metal LED Glass Loupe + UV

$4.59 shipped to Australia.

2. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I wonder how someone would feel if they couldn't find a defect using 40x-60x magnification, then NGC sends back the coin graded at 69 or 68.
    I know it's not the reason everybody buys a loupe for, but still...I wonder...I'd be disappointed to say the very least

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Blame Australia Post/Fedex/USPS :lol:

Y U NO UNDERSTAND HANDLE WITH CARE?

4. null

null Member

Hey FB,

I don't think you'll regret it. The thing is built like a tank, solid in the hand. I have never bought a loupe before, but unless this thing is broken or badly scratched, etc, I don't think I need to buy another for a long long time.

Some pics here for those interested. I did not buy a lanyard, and made my own permanent neck loop thingy (I like to reuse stuff and avoid paying extra if I can do it myself).

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1194_bel0.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1194_bel1.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

Size relative to $10 note.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1194_bel2.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

What you can see through and read easily.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1194_bel3.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

5. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

6. fishball

Got my expensive loupe, it's pretty awesome I can see flaws on my MS69 panda not visible to naked eye ;)

Now I can be cool like 25Grizzlies, or I hope so.

The manual is in Russian rofl, made in Belarus! Craftsmanship looks epic, doesn't feel flimsy or cheap like the Chinese $1 stuff.

Pretty happy with it so far.

7. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Loupes arrived today. Awsome having a light on them. My baby dragon looks even cuter under a 40 magnigfication.

8. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Using powerful loupes is an old-timer buying trick. Get out the 40x loupe, show the seller how scratched the coin looks under magnification, negotiate a better deal.

It's not particularly ethical since the buyer (you) knows that it will still grade well under lesser magnification. Just one of many reasons I only mostly buy and sell graded coins.

9. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

I agree tamo, were I to start again in CC's that's what I would do (for many coins, not all), buy slabbed, graded and I'll add CONSERVED coins!! I would've obtained fewer coins but the peace of mind in knowing what I got, locked in, is equal value to the coin. That'd be my advice to new CC collectors. The romantic idea of OMP and having the next MS69 or even MS70 just isn't worth pursuing (earlier releases I'm talking about), I have done and failed big in a few buys. I'm still OK with OMP coins though, you have to weigh up each individual coins. Like I just bought goldfish coins... these are in OMP, double seal, boxed, COA. They were a proof issue and 1990 was a good year for silver quality... so they should spruce up nicely, I'd hope at least MS68 and 69's. It's a set, I like the idea of OMP but equally I think they should be protecetd and conserved early, so it's a tough decision. Some of Comeaux's posts about coins being in OMP after many years (even in front pockets) grading high are reassuring.

It's a major headache shipping coins to the US for slabbing... it shouldnt be, I know, just seems like there's so many things that can go wrong. Once they're out of OMP that's it too, no more OMP if you didnt like the grade... I see Mr. Xu has been reading the forums here and CCF... I enquired about his 1/4 93 proof, not if it was not OMP, he volunteered that information. He is also marking those coin descriptions as non-OMP now, which is good. I guess this is one of those reasons you are talking about hey Tamo?

Sellers may anticipate bargaining, in some of my experience and price their coins accordingly with a little room to move. If they're firm on price and I want the coin I'll pay no problem. Treat the seller as you'd like to be treated, that's my ethics, I'd never use loupes to try and wangle a better deal.

I have NO idea how my coins will grade because I don't have the NGC criteria for grading, I'd imagine that would be a guarded secret? Suffice to say I'll be like an expectant father pacing in the waiting room for my coins to come back and I don't like that thought, I don't particularly like 'surprises'... I guess this is another reason you are talking about eh Tamo?? ;)

10. silverybay

silverybay New Member

11. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

12. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Yes, those are all reasons 25Grizzlies, but there are many more.

13. fishball

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=878.0

badon recommendations for loupes :p

He recommends the Belomo one (which I bought) among many ;)

:)