Software and Apps for keeping track of your portfolio

Discussion in 'Silver' started by sberends, Nov 8, 2011.

1. sberends

sberends Member

Apologies if there is already a thread up about this. I wanted to share some resources I use for keeping track of my portfolio. I am interested in what some of you use as well.

Tracking my portfolio
    I have an android phone and use the app called "Bullion Tracker" ( https://market.android.com/details?id=Diggidy.net.Bullion.Tracker&feature=search_result ). It keeps track of my portfolio giving me a helpful summary of my position using the latest spot price. It also calculates all the ratios for me. It currently does not synchronise from device to device, but the developer has let me know that he is working on this.

I also use the excel spreadsheet forum member "haveblue" created here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-8488-silver-spreadsheet-available-here.html

Keeping track of spot price
    I find these apps helpful on my android devices:
    Billion Tracker Widget (free): https://market.android.com/details?id=Diggidy.net.Bullion.Tracker.FREE.Widget&feature=search_result

Gold live by Kitco: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kitco.android.free.activities&feature=search_result

Gold Price live: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.goldprice.app&feature=search_result

Hope these are useful for some of you. What else do you use? I apologise for not including any Iphone apps. I don't have one and all visitors must leave theirs at my front door as my house is an "IOS free zone". (just kidding) :D

2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. smokey

smokey New Member

what if you misplace your phone
    do you want the person that finds it to know you watch gold and silver prices?
    bet he would be willing to drop the phone by your house
    guess i am just envious as i have a steam powered phone
    keep burning myself
    and that was the upgraded model

4. elykneros

elykneros Member

I reckon someone would make a fair bit of dough designing a decent app that:
    - Has a overview screen - total ozt, total spent, total current value, etc.
    - Purchase/Sell price and spot at buy/sell (profit or loss amount)
    - Ability to embed a photo or two in the record for each item
    - ability to set margin/premium against each item so it will display your current "sell price"
    -Allows categories for gold/silver/bars/coins etc.
    -Is secure
    -Can export as csv or xls

Anyone (with programming skills) feel challenged?:D

5. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

Man, if I lost my phone, knowing that i invest in gold and silver would be the least of my problems ! Thats why i wrote an app that allows me to fully monitor my phone remotely :cool: I started selling it on the Android/blackberry store but people started using it for mischievous acts so i pulled it from the android and blackberry store and just use it personally now. I have a self destruct function so if im sure that I wont find my phone i nuke it from home ...

Glenis likes this.
  6. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yahoo finance has improved immeasurably & left Google way behind - otherwise in Oz I use Goldprice/Kitco and proprietary apps such as Commsec or Bell for ASX stocks & iii.co.uk for FTSE/AIM holdings... Bloomberg app on the iPhone works a treat too for all stocks on all exchanges ;)

VRS

7. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

You can also register for an account with igmarkets and then once you login they got a set of REALLY cool tools in there , you might have to send them some ID but the tools and the actual charts you get are pretty cool

8. DonaldTrump

DonaldTrump New Member

I use Kitco on iPhone for tracking metals. I tried a few but found this was the best.

9. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

What ever happened to keeping your records on paper? A proper ledger of in and out.
    Yeh I know old fasioned and what if there is a fire. Well I have never had a house fire, yet, and come to
    think of it neither has anyone in my family for a few generations(doesn't mean it won't happen). My house is steel framed so
    I don't worry about it to much. I have however been broken into (many years ago). Funny thing is they did not
    take or even look at my books only things like CD's, stereos jewelry and other bits and pieces they
    could sell quickly, don't think they were the reading type.

If I keep my records on a phone it may be lost or stolen, I no longer have them. The computer
    may be stolen, hacked, crash or be confiscated if some on this site are correct. A hard copy
    ledger sitting in the back of your book case I think is pretty safe, hell put it with you stack.
    If you lose one you lose it all. Keep a second copy in your draw at work then it doesn't matter if
    on is lost, stolen or burnt. A written ledger is also impervious to solar flares, blackouts, or EMP.

When you are dead and gone your written ledger will still be able to be read by your great grand kids
    and their grand kids if they are interested and won't be unreadable due to outdated/incompatible technology. ;)

10. wilkes

wilkes Member

I have been a home owner for one year in a very nice area. House burnt down and burgled twice.

I can tell you from personal experience that keeping things on paper and expecting nothing to go wrong is unwise.

11. Gurok

Gurok New Member

I am working on a free, web-based tool at http://stacktrackr.net/

Sounds like it'll eventually be what you're after, elykneros, when I get time to work on it that is. For now, it can track a portfolio in a slightly more advanced way than the bullion monitor from the Perth Mint. I plan to add an inventory management system and graphs. If anyone wants to check it out with real data, there's a test user (username: test, password: test) that bought one ounce of everything in June.

It's mostly user interface gimmicks because I'm a UI developer. If anyone's interested in doing server side stuff (DB design and PHP) to free me up to work on the CSS and JS, let me know.

12. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Mate sorry to hear that. More than the majority of home owners have in a lifetime. Hopefully you have seen the last of the bad luck.

I'm pretty sure computers and smart phones melt and get stolen as well... :p So I would suggest no more foolproof than a book except a book need
    only worry about theft or fire or water damage. Hacking, data corruption, fried computers, hardware malfunction, software compatibility viruses solar flares and EMP are
    the added concerns when relying on a computer. I would not store my details on an off site/3rd party data base. Never Ever.

Having said all that, I do have a spreadsheet encrypted on my computer (thanks Haveblue) but I also have a book as a back up stored with my stack.
    I don't fully rely on either solely but place more faith in my book being here in 30 years time than the current spread sheet I am also using. It's all
    about risk management. If someone steals my stack they may as well have the book, won't be any good to me then. I wish them luck in finding it :D

13. metalsmtl

metalsmtl New Member

I recommend you try a tool that was just launched by an industry colleague of mine. It is quite comprehensive in terms of features that allow you to track your precious metals, including statistics and reports. You can try the free demo and even sign up for a free month trial: www.bulliontracking.com

14. metalsmtl

metalsmtl New Member

15. jparrie

jparrie Member

16. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

google docs --> spreadsheet. I can keep track of all bullion, US junk silver, Canadian Junk silver and "other" and add them up and calculate their value based on a cell that fetches spot prices from kitco or apmex. I can download it to my computer in an excell readable format or I can share it with a friend or family member (on gmail). Another advantage is, it's not on my computer if I don't want it to be and I can access it anywhere in the world on anyone's computer with an internet connection.

within the same document, I can create several spreadsheets, some with what I call buying tools. For junk silver, sterling silver or whatever fineness silver, I can type in what I want to pay per ounce and put in the face value or grams or ounces and it will tell me what to pay for it and what the melt value is for comparison. Vise versa, another tool will tell me if a certain price is a deal or not. You can get creative so make it do whatever you want. These are just as useful when you're selling. For me, a little bit of thinking and figuring ended up eliminating a lot of busy work when looking for online auctions or deals. And since I put it together, I can easily modify it to suit different purposes.

edit again:

see below for example of buying too. above the tool is a list everything i purchased but I won't let you see that. That's what date, description, $paid columns are for. I just keep adding rows when I need them. The topmost row is set as a header row so it is visible no matter how far down you scroll. the bullion column is not needed in this buying tool for obvious reasons so i used that space to label rows in the tool there. In the bottom there are tabs for different sheets in the document.

biggest plus is that it's all free but now the gub'mint and google know ... they know.

[​IMG]

17. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

i just use evernote... not perfect.. but can pick it up on my computer, phone or the internet where ever...

18. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

The OP asked me to share a blank spreadsheet with him. I have created one and am offering to share it with anyone who is interested. You have to be on gmail for me to share it though, sorry. PM me if interested.

19. RisingHope

RisingHope New Member

Well.. old thread.. but I guess this is the right place to post about my app :) Silver Coin Valuer PRO has taken me a year+ to make. I think its the best silver coin tracker, valuer etc app out there. It has thousands of silver coins images/info, and a wallet function where you can track your personal collection. 4.3 rating so far and it's free.
    Cheers, RH
    [ps: also iPhone version, it's not free and it's still in early development]