Any way to protect yourself from this ebay scam

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by partyk1d24, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Photographing the coin, include some sort of certificate of authenticity, or photocopy of one. - also consider taking a photo of the packing to help refute claims it could be " accidentally" tampered with.

2. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

They can't take from the savings account, they will just get insufficient regardless if there is a balance or not. Many times I've done this to protect myself from when I was a seller.

Falling back on a credit card has nothing to do with the accounts in question, it is unrelated.

Make sure you are correct before trying to call someone else out mate.

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I'm callin you OUT!!! You don't know what the eff you're talking about. I just confirmed with a supervisor at PayPal that PayPal CAN debit a savings account. See, I always make sure I'm correct before I call someone out, you should take your own advice...mate

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Might be different in Australia from the US but here we have transaction (* not sure if it's savings or transaction actually!) accounts which only allow money to be deposited in via internet banking or BPay. No over the counter deposits in or direct debits from the account.

One such example would be Netbank Saver (CBA) and another would be USaver for Australians (UBank).

You can't use Paypal to withdraw money from those accounts if you tried (due to restriction).

I personally attach my Netbank Saver to my Paypal, I can extract money from Paypal to my bank account no problems and it verifies no problem but it becomes physically impossible for Paypal to obtain funding from my bank account.

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

#1 and most importantly, the dude who got scammed is from here.
    #2 I don't need to call Paypal to know that as a seller, you can't do business without an account PP can access or they'll hold the funds till the item arrives and no dispute is filed. Please don't tell me the only account you have with PayPal is some weird savings account they can't access...please don't Fish

6. fishball

They can put funds into my bank account but they can't pull funds out, so you can go through the verification step where they deposit 2 random tiny sums of money into your account just fine.

Anyway I'm 100% sure Citibank has an account like this and they operate in the States. So what RTZ said still applies regardless.

7. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Okay, so how do you pay for things? You tell the seller "uh hold on Mr. Seller a few days while I transfer funds from my super secret bank account to my PayPal account" ???
    Assuming of course the account allows you to transfer to PP but not PP from you.

8. fishball

I don't ever transfer money from my bank account to Paypal, why would I? Also, you can't with these types of accounts.

Pay by Credit Card if required, there's always chargeback as a last option and the bank will almost always side with you in a dispute.

Also, since we're talking about SELLING here, why are you talking about paying for things?

9. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Because you and the dude you're fighting for are both insinuating that y'all have a way to keep PP from accessing your funds. If that's true then you couldn't buy anything using PP. Additionally, if you have a credit card with PP...guess what, that's right Fish...they can charge that. Also check with your credit card company, 99% of 'em have stipulations like the purchase has to be over a certain amount, usually $200 and the purchase has to be made within a certain distance from your home. I can pretty much guarantee if PP charges your CC for a dispute, PP will just fax a copy of your seller agreement over to your CC company and you will not win. Of course that's assuming you don't have one of those super secret credit cards issued by your super secret bank where you have your super secret untouchable savings account.
    Look, the assertion is that you can sell on eBay, using an account set up with PP that they have no access to, which is just plain BS and all your assertions otherwise are even more BS

10. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I'll just call PP tomorrow and ask if a seller can have an account that PP has zero access to any funds. Your and your mate's assertions are just a fantasy concoction of half-truths designed to make you seem clever enough to 'get over' on PayPay

11. fishball

Wtf are you on about? Paypal only verifies accounts by depositing money in, they don't take any out so they can't tell if your account is single way or dual.

I can most certainly sell just fine.

This has been my personal experience all along and it works.

Just today I extracted that much from my Paypal account NO PROBLEMS.

Do you seriously think a paypal manager is going to say "yeah you can fk us by doing the following...."

Dismissing anything you don't know as half truths or bullshit is moronic.

Just admit you're wrong.

Ps. He isn't my mate and the only bullshit is coming from you.

Example: http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090908081936AAB8ta2

Source: http://www.commbank.com.au/personal...d-printed-forms/SavingsInvestment_ADB2852.pdf (Page 5 table 1.2.1 Netbank Saver)

Example #2: Citbank's Online Saver Account

Source: http://www.citibank.com.au/AUGCB/AP...d/det/deposits_onlinesaver.htm&tabId=Deposits

Click on the FAQ

No direct debits allowed on this account.

I don't bullshit. Stop being so arrogant and maybe open your mind a bit to other people's experiences.

12. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

Badatish..... What fishball said.

Wrong country buddy - I am right.

Understand that in Australia, there are two types of accounts, transaction and savings.

Transaction is both debit/credit and if you buy something, you can use a transaction account to fund paypal.

However, if you link a savings account instead, you can't use it to pay for stuff because it's a credit only account - it can't be debited from under any circumstance. Not even another bank can debit it (trust me, I've tried).

So in aus, it's easy to protect yourself using a savings account rather than a transaction. If you buy stuff, just use your credit card to fund instead.

I'm not sure if paypal allows it anymore these days, but you use to be able to have just a savings account linked and no credit card linked so if there is reverse charge, it'll go nowhere - which like I have mentioned, I've done before.

13. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I responded to this. You state that a savings account cannot be debited. You're wrong, plain and simple. Showing evidence that there is a special savings account that cannot doesn't prove your initial claim that "they can't take from a savings account"
    Your logic is the same as claiming politicians are honest, then going out of your way to find ONE that is.
    Then you claim that having PP fall back on a credit card is somehow irrelevant to the discussion when in fact it is completely relevant since your whole point is how to sell without having PP being able to chargeback the seller on a dispute.

You have not figured out how to 'beat' PayPal or eBay mate! You either have an account that PayPal can debit or you will be suspended from selling on eBay. Your solution is only a solution to how to get a person prohibited from selling on eBay, not protecting them from charge backs.
    Again I'd like to reiterate that your initial claim that PP cannot debit a savings account is at best blatantly misleading and in 99% of cases just plain false. So either you do BS or I gave you too much credit and you don't know your arse from your elbow.

14. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

You really are stupid mate. Excuse the personal attack.

Let me reiterate:

- I was responding to an original post where a poster suggested emptying an account as a way to stop paypal from debiting the account. My rebuttal was that there is an easier way to do that, and that is to link a credit only account. That is the only part of the post that I referred to and nothing else - credit cards, chargebacks, etc I never referred to, because that was not the part that I was interested in giving an opinion about.

There isn't just one - all the banks have it. Let me reiterate to you just one more time, considering me and fishball have both told you this a little more times then I care to repeat: Online banking accounts and savings accounts, are credit only. Paypal does not have the ability to debit the account, there is no authority. I can prove it, but you are a nobody and I have better things to do so I won't bother.

Do you know what debit/credit, or credit only or debit only accounts are? I suppose you don't work in anything finance related, because if you do, you would understand the different types of accounts.

There are 2 things here that I would like to point out:
    1. What I and fishball have described have been done and tested before. You getting angry and then getting excited thinking you have got one over me just makes me smile
    2. Your analogies are terrible.

Cheerios

15. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I don't take the attack personal...how could I, you do it to a lot of people, it's just how you roll.
    No matter how tightly you and Fish hold hands, you can't get around the fact you said savings accounts can't be debited and PayPal claims they can. You "savings accounts can't be touched" PayPal "yes we can" how much simpler can it be? Trying to muck up the issue with super saver accounts, blah, blah, blah only serves to show you don't have the cojones to have said, "well maybe some savings accounts can, but not mine" which is how grown-ups handle their mistakes.
    My analogies are only terrible to the ones who are made to look the fool by them ;)
    Lastly, you seem to try anything to distract from the main point of this discussion and your whole reason for commenting in the first place, which is to protect an eBay seller using PayPal from getting scammed. Your solution is at best a one shot remedy sure to get a seller suspended or even banned, which others have pointed out as well. So stay on your lil super-saver pony, I and anyone else with a bit of sense would never take your advice, not if we wanted to continue selling on eBay using PayPal that is :)
    As far as your advice goes, I'd caution against anyone taking yours for anything based upon your 'clever' solution to the OPs problem.

16. higuita

higuita Member

Fishball is right that in Australia we have internet saver accounts that can only be operated from accounts that are linked to them with the same bank. An easy way to test this theory would be if someone with a linked internet saver account tried to transfer money to paypal from it.

I was under the assumption that with these accounts you cannot withdraw or deposit any cash into them unless you were using the linked account. However, if anyone can deposit into them but only the linked account can withdraw from them it is indeed an excellent way to avoid the paypal issue and I have to thank Fishball for giving me the idea to cover my ass when selling on ebay this way!

17. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Okay, but if you have a dispute and don't pay up, then your selling days are over. Seems like the only thing the account is really good for is avoiding ONE charge back then getting you suspended from selling SMH
    Doesn't sound like much of a solution unless you really didn't care about selling and just wanted to rip someone off for big bucks ONE time

18. fishball

You can reopen as many Paypal accounts and bank accounts as you want. Disposable email accounts are easy.

95% of the banks in Australia have an internet only direct credit account and heck, I could just go cancel my bank account and reopen to get a new number IF I was too lazy to go to a new bank.

Sure you'll have 0 feedback again etc etc but if you're doing BUY IT NOW it won't really matter as long as you get the funds (which takes 1-2 days from Paypal). Clearly if you want to have a million positive feedbacks at 100% this won't work though, but that was never the point. There is most certainly a WAY, just not a consequence proof way.

Anyway I'm done here, these accounts are commonplace and just because you know nothing about it doesn't mean they don't exist. I checked HSBC, they do this type of account in the US for business banking (authorize ACH or decline manually). Plenty of ways to "beat the establishment" (Paypal) at their own game, I thought Americans had the balls to do that and actively pursued methods with an open mind.

I find it ironic you had to take the argument to PM and call me petty and dishonorable for "double-teaming" just because you can't stomach the fact you got some shit wrong.

Do you seriously think me and RTZ and Higuita got together at a table and said, hey let's team up on this American guy hahahaahahahahaha.

You're the guy who started calling what I said as bullshit and half truths and you got corrected. Hard.

That is all there is to it.

19. Anthony

Anthony New Member

OK that clarifies.

I was referring to "transaction" accounts which are traditionally known as "savings" accounts. It is still the "savings" option you select on the ATM.

20. fishball

It's an awesome feature and I use my Netbank Saver for selling on SS too.

That way no evil person can use my account details and set a DD on me :lol: