Any way to protect yourself from this ebay scam

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by partyk1d24, Nov 5, 2011.

1. partyk1d24

partyk1d24 New Member

So this just happened to me with an MS 69 Lunar and my buddy had it happen with a MS 70 Grizzly.

Mail out a slabbed coin and "Magically" it gets broke in half during transit (despite being well packaged and listed as fragile.). Then the buyer makes a not as described claim and send back a bunk coin. How in the world could a PCGS slab be broke in half front to back in a bubble mailer without being removed from the envelope?

Couple of things that worried me from the start...

Guy seemed to foresadow this happening (and I had seen it before)
    Makes claim same day it is received
    Plenty of communication before, none now.

Anyone know of a good way to prevent this? Does being an insured package help? Am I going to need to start passing that charge onto my customer?

I think even if I did claim it happened in transit, if it is like my buddies there will be hacksaw marks anyway and (the post office) will probably deny the claim.

Any ideas? Stop selling on ebay :)?

2. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Tough spot, I feel for ya. Obviously it's some kids, because if it were someone older, wiser, wealthier and more morally corrupt they'd do it with gold pandas.
    eBay is terrible about investigating corrupt buyers and sellers. They make the same commission from a fraudulent deal as the do a legit one. I'd still get on the phone and try to convince someone to suspend or even ban the buyers account. Sure they'll open a new one probably, but they'd have to go back to zero feedback, which makes it identifiable to sellers who can choose not to accept bids from buyers below a certain number. Again, sorry you got scammed man :(

3. partyk1d24

partyk1d24 New Member

Tried to call but they said there is nothing they can do. I would be a lot more apt to believe the buyer if he didn't handle the case in the way he did. It was so shady, I agree on the Gold Pandas I have a few of those and would probably sell them here or to a local store first.

I think next time someone tries to prod me into sending something "quick" next time I will purposefully hold on to it for a while, sucks for customer service but I can't afford to keep getting had.

For comic relief or to prevent others from the same situation here is what my communications looked like... username was.. whitegold50

BTW it was wrapped in a bubble envelope and toilet paper, as well as, being marked fragile by the PO. Again I have used the same packaging for over 20 coins and never had an issue, until now....

"the damn graded Protective CASE arrived broken in HALF//not just a simple CRACK//very serious --back and front//that is why //i was typing to you//WRAP IT IN BUBBLE WRAP//you did not CARE///ALWAYS BUY FROM PROFESSIONALS---not from Rookies//FOR doing it intentionally//you got your teward on FEEDDBACK;;;for playing with me//and setting me UP;;;for this;;;now it is COMING BACK the HARD WAY//yoiu knoe it was worth more than what i PAID FOR//i guess you got JEALOUS about that///for DISSAPOINTING ME and DEPPRESSINGBme like this you got YOUR FEEDBACK accordingly

Dear whitegold50,

I will def. leave feedback once everything is received and you are satisfied. I was more worried about getting it mailed fast for you than responding and I had a really busy day yesterday. Anyway everything should be fine and you should expect your coin Saturday.

- partyk1d04

Dear partyk1d04,

dont you leave FEEDBACK;;for paying fast&furious//or are you going to say//i should leave it first----worst case senario--from all the past experiences;;;;what was the SERIAL number on the GRADING ///as nothing was visible//i hope we are not developing another Worst case senario;;;AGAIN--then paypal will come into play again;;as much as i hate all that negative bull... that comes with it///

- whitegold50

Dear whitegold50,

Should be there Saturday tracking id soon. Thanks again!

- partyk1d04

Dear partyk1d04,

i know/i filed many -pay pal cases with pandas &won all/got my money back//the specs were little off//BY YHE WAY//I NEVER GOT A REPLY==i hope you are shipping;;;FIRST CLASS-usps;;your cost will be 1.95$$$

- whitegold50

Dear whitegold50,

Haven't seen any but I mainly buy Chinese coins and those are the riskiest.

- partyk1d04

Dear partyk1d04,

are the chinese making these in FAKES now too//i bettr start weighing all the others i have//aussie coins are always OVER WEIGHT;;;31.75 grams to 32.18 grams;;;that is too much over weight wright//for kangaroos or lunars//CAN YOU PLEASE WRAP the pcgs coin in TOILET PAPER--for me;;hence it may not get damaged in transit//i hope you are shipping --first class===1.91$$$ with delivery confim...i paid you 15 minutes ago//

- whitegold50

Dear whitegold50,

I have never had a problem with shipping, see my other revues I ship in padded envelope and it is in the protective PCGS case, you should be fine. I will let you know what day they tell me it will be there when I mail it tomorrow. I put them in PCGS specifically so my customers know exactly what they are getting. I understand how aggravating it can be to get a bad or even fake coin and people smarter than me have said it was near perfect.

Again thank you for your purchase, I am sure you will be satisfied.

- partyk1d04

Dear partyk1d04,

you state shipping--economy///first class with delivery confirm will be-==1.91$$$ for this item///parcel class==comes with trucks and gets much harder treatmeant;;;and it may take a week in delivery/versus 2 days with first class ;;usps shipping//can you reply back on this important issue//thanks---parcel class ---the coin may get crushed by the post office--it has happened before with parcel class--can you wrap it with lots of bubble wrap---if it has to be shipped --parcel class//to avoid potential damage by yhe post office/OUR graded CHICKEN

- whitegold50
    "

4. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

partyk1d24

your case sound like Alex Jones (radio host www.infowars.com described, the DVDs his office sent out got hammered and returned)

so there must be somewhere after you hand it to the post, then after the hammering come in. :(
    sure buyer will received it like it is. or may be buyer is bad ? unless its a spy drone with eyes you are sending.

5. partyk1d24

partyk1d24 New Member

I don't know if I buy that in a padded envelope that a PCGS case could be cracked even with a hammer maybe the press could but being marked fragile I doubt that. I can't wait to get it back and see what this guy is trying to pull.

6. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

ALWAYS pay for goods on ebay via credit card. That way you get buyer protection. So if you receive something not as described (or not at all) you simply do a chargeback with your credit card and get your money back right away issue closed.

7. charzy

charzy New Member

Did you and your mate send it in an envelope with packaging that wasn't bulky? I once read about a guy who sent some memory ram sticks in an envelope in a layer of bubble wrapped and it got rolled in a machine for sorting I think.

8. Anthony

Anthony New Member

This is the SELLER getting scammed here.

9. partyk1d24

partyk1d24 New Member

^
    |
    True Dat

10. partyk1d24

partyk1d24 New Member

"Did you and your mate send it in an envelope with packaging that wasn't bulky? I once read about a guy who sent some memory ram sticks in an envelope in a layer of bubble wrapped and it got rolled in a machine for sorting I think."

It was super well packed and I suppose this could have happened I won't know until I get it back. But read the emails, the guy seems to know what is going to happen before it happens.

11. silvertop

silvertop Member

The ebay site now blindly favours the buyer. Since the changing of the feedback system there is now a loophole that scammers are diving through. I'm sorry mate but I've been reading multiple situations like this on a forum which deals with basketball cards. Sellers are getting absolutely rorted and ebay are not helping the situation. I feel sorry for you mate, I think you won't win unfortunately

12. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

What a nut! Just had a thought and...yes it gave me a headache LOL. But if I sold, I would deliberate converse with a buyer before I mailed the item. A few letters back and forth with this clown and I would have just said "sorry, here's your refund" before mailing off the item. Of course that's 20-20 hindsight and as my Pops used to say "we learn far more from our failures than our triumphs"

13. Matthew 26:14

Ah right you are the seller. Only way to protect yourself is to follow this procedure:

1. Set up a specific bank account to receive your PayPal payments and leave it empty with zero balance.
    2. When someone pays into PayPal immediately transfer the money out into the bank account you set up (dont mail anything yet)
    3. Transfer the proceeds when they reach the above bank account out into your everyday bank account or wherever youd like (dont mail anything yet)
    4. Check the money has arrived into your bank account as in step 3.
    5. Now post your item.

Because if the buyer tries a chargeback or a dispute with Ebay they try the following:

1. Take the money out of your PayPal account (empty)
    2. Take the money out of your linked bank account (empty)

So they cant "delve" any further and your money is protected. And thats how its done.

BUT REMEMBER if you have a dispute for say $100 and your PayPal account is empty dont go selling anything else and have money put into that same paypal account because they will take that money in lieu of the money they couldnt get.

Ie. If you have a dispute of $100 on a coin sale but PayPal cant get your money and theres a dispute and next week you sell a coin for say $100 and money is paid into your PayPal account that money will be seized by PayPal instead.

If a dispute is ever raised with a PayPal account best to declare it dead and open a new account. Painful process I know but its your money and it depends how much your want to protect it. Personally I spend the extra minutes clicking a mouse to protect mine !

14. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

If you do what you suggest then the seller wouldn't have to worry about selling another item and having the proceeds seized by PayPal LOL, eBay would suspend the account!

15. partyk1d24

partyk1d24 New Member

"we learn far more from our failures than our triumphs"

--smart man...

16. Anthony

Anthony New Member

And then the need to open new bank accounts when you want the new paypal account too.

17. Matthew 26:14

1. Opening new bank accounts is a few clicks of the mouse (at least in Australia).

2. Yes you could expect your ebay account would be suspended or closed, but so what? The smart sellers have several ebay accounts.

3. Why have several ebay accounts? Because it you are selling several items, feedback of +60 in one ebay account is no different to having feedback of say +20 in 3 different accounts. ie each is 100% feedback with many items sold so it looks fine to a potential buyer.

4. 3 accounts with +20 feedback is better than 1 account with +60 feedback so if something happens in a transaction (eg. feedback "extortion" or theres a scammer etc) you simply let that account get suspended/closed and you go on trading with the other 2 accounts. Of course youd then open another new account as well and begin to bring its feeback up from 0.

Yes its all very simple to do exactly what Ebay want which is for you to have 1 account linked to your everyday bank account but thats a just leaving yourself wide open to losing money.

Better to be a bit smart about things and protect your money from con artists.

18. TomD

TomD Member

I'll say that it is categorically impossible for a 1 oz silver coin to be broken in half without the total destruction of the packaging. At least the "buyer" could come up with something plausible. I've never sold metals from ebay and don't intend to start.

19. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

Dude, rather than going around in circles and shifting your money around, just link your savings account which is a 1 way account.

The only way money can only leave a savings account (like an online savings account) is if you send it, money can go in but it can't go out except to it's linked account.

Now the problem is, eBay will just suspend your ass until they get their money back so that doesn't really work either, and they will ban your ass till kingdom come unless you change all your bank accounts, credit cards and home address.

20. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Incorrect.

Paypal will take from a savings account, then fall back to a credit card if there are insufficient funds in the savings account.