Steven Keen article which might cause cognitive dissonance

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by hennypenny, Oct 17, 2011.

1. hennypenny

hennypenny New Member

Nice little Steven Keen article that will cause cognitive dissonance for some:

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=12743&page=0

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

So we passed the peak of oil production in ~2005 and thus from here on in we should use less thus fixing global warming without a stooopid tax?? Am I missing something here? How can you be worrried about excessive CO2 AND declining oil production. Logic dictates that the problems fix each other.

I am really starting to wonder if this global warming story was cooked up to smooth over peak oil.

3. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

no it was cooked up to steal even more money from people by the governments of the world.

So far only the australian government has been dumb enough to actually implement such a massive tax...

Other countries who have implemented such a tax - well its been more a case of 'the cause' than anything suicidal such as just passed in our circus of a parliament.

but i guess every cloud has a silver lining... our one will hopefully be that Labor is NEVER elected to government again

4. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Mike Rann the retiring Labor premier of SA said the dumbest thing today which made me realise how fith the whole of Labor is.

He said that Labor in South Australia had been able to achieve already the 20% goal for reneweable sources of energy for their state.

Does he not realise that this happened without a carbon tax?

Therefore such goals are possible to achieve without the carbon tax.

Labor's rhetoric is now using "National Interest" arguments and good for Australia etc.

All of them have started parroting this.

5. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://iceagenow.info/2011/10/lakes-oil-saturns-moon-titan/

Lakes of oil on Saturn's Moon Titan

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

8. jparrie

jparrie Member

I bet the camels are really excited.

9. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Well the greenies say we are just a parasitic pest species whose population should be reduced to under 500k. Now if the people doing the dying could just be greenies i'd be very happy... but we all know who will gets to do the dying

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's never the people that call for the sacrifice that actually think that they should be the ones making that sacrifice. Bob Brown is a politician, every politician needs a "schtick" and his party uses the environment as their justification for their own power hunger. Don't be fooled by the man in the suit.

11. glam

glam Member

I find it quite surprising that the majority on this forum don't seem to see the connection between these three crises. For me these three crises are all happening and will shape the next 100+ years and we are at the turning point now.

Of course it all centers on oil (like so many other things), and now that we are past peak oil, the future 100 years will be very different to the previous 100+ years. It is unavoidable and we should prepare accordingly. We are into the down side of the peak.

Our monetary system is only designed to work as long as we have continuous GDP growth, year on year, but the unprecedented GDP growth in the past is only sustained through the exploitation of cheap and readily available energy in the form of oil. The oil is running out and without continued GDP growth most western economies cannot repay their debts.

OK sure, there has been serious mismanagement along the way, but without peak oil, they could (most likely) keep 'kicking the can'. This time they can't grow their way out of a recession.

I remember seeing a graph a few years ago, I can't remember where, but it is about oil price after peak oil, and it is a saw tooth pattern, where we see increasing peaks in oil price followed by massive drops when the economy cannot sustain the price any longer and enters into recession. The height of the peaks in price increase and the dips continue when the economy collapses each time into recession.

We seem to be in the middle of the next leg up in oil price, but governments the world over are doing their best to manipulate every which way they can. Maybe the next peak in price will not be higher, but eventually I think the pattern will emerge clearly, but maybe not for a cycle or two.

I think the evidence for peak oil is undeniable. But many here don't connect peak oil to the up-coming monetary collapse. Without continues GDP growth, monetary collapse is assured. And with peak oil here now, continued GDP growth is no longer possible.

Then we have climate change. I am a believer. But even if you are not, if you recognize peak oil is real, then we desperately need to decrease our reliance on carbon based fuels. It's just not sustainable and the sooner we reduce our reliance the better the country will be able to ride out the peaks and troughs. At the moment we are very exposed.

It's late and I've had a few so this may all come across as disjointed ramblings.................. but there you go, it's just the way I see it and I'm sure many others see it different.

12. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

So because of post peak oil we are going to use LESS oil and thus LESS fossil fuels. Thus needing to convince people to use LESS oil thus LESS fossil fuels via mandated taxes is not needed as it will happen naturally. The major thing I don't get is "Global Warming" proponent do not believe in Peak oil else they would not be so militant in forcing others to adapt their life styles to use LESS oil and thus LESS CO2.

13. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

You're missing a few things. Coal, gas, oil sands, methane hydrates...

14. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it has to do with encouraging/forcing people to move away from fossil fuels in preparation for when they're not longer financially viable.

If petrol shot up by an extra dollar next week, our economy would grind to a halt because the vast majority of vehicles on the road run on petrol. If half of them were electric (or even hybrid petrol/electric) the effect of a spike in petrol prices wouldn't be as big and we'd be much better off than other countries that didn't prepare and still all drive petrol powered vehicles.

Forcing people to prepare at a national level isn't such a bad thing if it avoids complete chaos later on.

Anyway, props to Steve Keen for thinking outside the square. The list of people who inspire him is very interesting.

15. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Great observation!

And instead of increasing investment into space exploration and associated areas like off-world mining (to actually do something to save our planet) they reduce NASA funding, shut down the space shuttle program and give trillions of dollars to bankers . . . who invest it back into speculating on the increase in price of our depleting commodities AND want to start trading in our right to breathe!!!

:lol:

It is so nuts that it the degree of systemic insanity is actually a good laugh if you can keep your wits about you. I for one am past both it and those associated with the insanity. The whole thing is completely irrelevant anymore. They have, it appears, clearly rejected sensible, honest and respectful ideals.