Need Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by povman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. povman

povman New Member

I've had this coin for a while and not sure if it is a miss strike or something?
    Just wanted to tap into the wealth of knowledge the SS group have and if anyone knows if it is actually a miss strike or something else or is it just worth $1 aus??
    Any feedback will be much appreciated..
    Thanks in advance.
    Povman.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mattlyndy

Mattlyndy Member Silver Stacker

I'm not an expert but i assume you are talking about the rim around the edge. I think you are right, but I am unsure if it would be worth much more than the face value, then again collectors of such things might pay good money for it.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]
    Source: http://ezyapps.com/coins/$1_heads_1985.jpg

I don't know of any known varieties of 1985 dollars, this one I found on Google Images seems to look similar around the rim but I do not have any live coins to compare with!

4. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

I found a 1985 $1 among my shrapnel. It does not have the "double rim" like yours.

5. povman

povman New Member

6. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

7. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Never heard of the double rim in the 1985, have read that the larger double rim is of value in the 2000 mintage so you might be onto a good thing. Keep us posted as you've got me curious now. Fingers crossed its a winner for you.

8. povman

povman New Member

Will do, next step is getting it valued by someone trustworthy.. Anyone know anywhere in Melbourne that would give a fair valuation??

Thanks for the advice people, much appreciated..

Povman

9. biconz

biconz New Member

Valuation
    http://www.ramint.gov.au/designs/dealers/index.cfm Have a scan through the VIC - Melbourne list as these are the coin dealers who have recognised relationships with the RAM. The benefit this gives you is if they can't find the information, they have access to the Mint, who are generally hard to get information from if you are a regular Joe

That aside, the best way to get an estimate is one of four options. (i'd probably try them in this order)
    1. Seek referrals from trusted sources (as you've done)
    2. Point out that you are not interested in selling the coin, but am interested in the value for insurance purposes and visit a dealer
    3. Visit several coin dealers and create an average
    or
    4. List the item on ebay as a buy now option, only at a price you would be willing to part with should somebody pay it. Include that offers will also be considered. This is somewhat less reliable in valuation terms, but it gives you the actual price another collector would be willing to pay for the item. In the spirit of not misleading the public ensure that you're buy now price is set at a level that you would happily sell for (eg $500+ etc)

A thing to remember with the dealers is like going to a car dealership (only coin fellows seem friendlier and more helpful) they have a business to run at the end of the day so although they may know the value of the item, there is potential for less honest ones to play down the value then offer you peanuts for it. The good ones will be honest and give a valuation, and then say how much they would be willing to buy it from you for (remember they have to make a profit too).

The last option, I remember from a coin/stamp shop in my home town when i was growing up used to do this, is to ask if the dealer can sell your item on your behalf, at which stage they will hold it in their shop/catalog and expose your item to more collectors. Of course for this again there were listing fees and a commission to consider

Identifying the coin
    http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=65 of help might be this crowd, the picture quality you have would sure be enough for them to have a crack at informing you..

It definitely looks rather unique and and I reckon a couple of possible options either a Planchet defect (planchet was too big for the die) or a potential ramstrike, as the mob of roos ears are still all intact, even when overlapping with the rough 'first rim'... but then on the other hand the second (outer) rim seems to be in a good condition.. and the strike looks too evenly struck.... I would pursue the planchet defect first. As accurately as you can measure the diameter and weight, you are looking for 25mm and 9 grams... any noticeable variation from this and you could have a Planchet defect. if it is.... I wouldn't hazard an estimate as I've never seen one like that before.

Just my 20 cents and thoughts...

Good luck.

10. povman

povman New Member

biconz, your a legend,

Thank you very much for your detailed and thought out suggestions, they are very much appreciated and I will take the advice you have given and get back to you via this thread to let you know how I have got on with this little interesting coin. I think I will start with your suggestion of the www.coincommunity.com, then move on to the coin dealer and see what values they can come up with.

Thanks again,

Povman.