Lunar trading is always full of surprises.

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Aurora et luna, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Noticed some members are interested in doing a straight swap, Dragons for Ox.
    All I can say is you're nuts if you think you are getting a good deal for your dragons..
    I think it is a great idea to stack a roll of each lunar animal and resell them as sets in 2020. However if it is too difficult to get a roll of Ox, then stack an extra roll of dragons or tigers instead of trying to do the dragon/ox swap now.
    In my opinion when 2020 rolls around, your extra roll of dragons will give you a much better return than a roll of Ox
    I regularly survey my friends who are not stackers or collectors about their likes and dislikes of particular coins and invariably the Ox is usually at or near the bottom of the list when it comes to the lunars they wish to collect.
    The Dragon and Tiger tops the list in every case.

2. zhongclaud

zhongclaud New Member

Brilliant!!!

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I would suspect predator vs prey would give significant weight to popularity. Thus I expect the snake to be up there... am I correct on this one?

4. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

Dragon, Tiger, Snake, Horse

then the rest, but it should also be noted that; if by 2020 all ox's fall into the hands of collectors/keepers - it may be very hard to acquire one even if you offer a dragon for it.

However the case, "He who holds the lunar coin, has the bargaining chip/power"

5. bennybbc

bennybbc Member Silver Stacker

I totally agree. The problem I see is that the mouse, tiger, rabbit and dragon come up for sale on a semi regular basis but the Ox doesn't. I've been trying to get oxen at a fair price over last 7 or 8 months and have only picked up a total of 30 coins. I felt I paid over the odds when I did buy them but no better deals have come up in that time. Having said that I don't have many contacts to buy silver outside of SS. Due to the limited amount I have seen come up for sale I wouldn't swap them for dragons or tigers just incase I couldn't get some more at a later date.

6. Aurora et luna

The most popular coin in the surveys was the Dragon followed by the Tiger, Mice, Rabbit and then Ox.
    I think the Tiger should maintain its popularity but suspect the Snake will gobble up the mice when it arrives next year.

7. da-shaz

da-shaz New Member

I suspect that every year from now on will be a mad scramble to get coins upon release.

People who missed out on the dragon and paid top dollar on the secondary market will think 'Im getting in early and not missing out next year'.

Will be a nasty September for the best part of a decade I would say with the 300,000 mintage.. unless spot is $100 and that might scare people off!

8. Aurora et luna

The Ox and Dragon both have 300,000 mintage. Personally I think it will be harder to acquire an dragon than an ox in 2020

9. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

So do you think i should hang on to my dragon typeset 3x1oz coloured 2x1/2oz coloured and 5xgilded dragons for a few years?

Scorp

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have no intention of building up sets, for me the money coin is the dragon. I have seen the sets sell well of course but it seems that the rarer coins are bolstering the prices of the mice and rabbits and other assorted vermin.

I would rather spend the money on readily available dragons than hunt down an ellusive ox and pay top dollar for it.

If I have a dragon my market is;

People who want to buy a dragon
    People who need a dragon to complete their set

If I turn them all into sets my market is;

People who want a complete set and don't have any of the other coins.

If I had started off earlier and already had a roll each of the previous series 2 years then I would be trying for a set but it is too late now, I want to be selling at collector prices, not buying at them.

11. hazy

hazy Active Member

interesting conversation, thanks for the insight Steve.

12. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

i was one of the persons trying to actively trade dragons for ox/tiger.
    i am indeed trying to collect the set...i have plenty of dragons and for me, in my case, the time saved later trying to track down tigers/ox in 5 years was easily worth the trade off for 1:1 dragons.

which btw, still looking for 1 roll of unbroken tigers, will trade 1:1 dragons :D

13. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

what if you paid $39 for a dragon and you swap it for an $80 ox?

14. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't worry, by the time 2020 rolls around the Perth Mint will have totally milked everything it can out of the lunar series to the point that the market will be totally flooded with lunars and everybody will be sick of them. Just imagine year of the goat coins in red, blue, yellow, gilded, 4 typesets, square typesets......

Look at what happened during the 1990s - kookaburra privies were obviously popular at first, but by 2000 the mint produced so many privy variations nobody could even keep track of them. Then they had to kill off the kookaburra proof series in 2005 due to lack of interest.

15. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

So are you willing to trade any Ox you have for my dragons?

16. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Small time stacker here, but holding a roll of the 2012 Dragons for long term. They will be worth a pretty penny in no time.

Still trying to collect sets though :) That's the hobby side in me.

17. Aurora et luna

I think I read somewhere that Projack was going to export Dragons to the USA as well as import some Ox. Good arbitrage opportunity if the deal goes through.

18. SilverQueen

SilverQueen New Member

'Lunar' for thought!! The chinese values Dragon, Tiger, Horse, Rooster and I think the Indians value the Ox & Mice (as traditionally they are viewed as Holy creatures in their different religion) - that's what I know from my Indian friends. So not sure how HOT are the PerthMint Silver Lunar Ox & Mice in India, but may be...may be Ox & Mice will have the same premium as Dragons & Tigers in the eyes of Indians..may be soon....

19. Aurora et luna

I have noticed some members are asking $150+ for a two oz dragon on this forum
    Am I missing something there? That's more than the going rate for 2 x 1oz Dragons or Tigers!
    Anyone interested in swapping 2 x 1oz Dragons or Tigers for a 2oz Dragon, let me know; I would be more than happy to accommodate you. :)