1oz colored dragon - info please

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Matthew 26:14, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

To anyone who has a boxed 1oz colored dragon... It usually comes with a CoA that says it's coin number of a limited boxed mintage. Can anyOne tell me the boxed set mintage and it also usually says the boxed sets are part of a worldwide mintage (usually 170,000) can anyone also confirm this worldwide mintage? The info should be on the CoA card with the coin.

2. noddy_coder

noddy_coder New Member

I'm expecting delivery on Monday of my 1/2 oz and 1 oz coloured dragons so I'll post back then to confirm, but my understanding from reading info on these coins at the PM website is that they are boxed proof coins with COA's and a mintage of 10,000.

3. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

4. NQDave

NQDave Active Member Silver Stacker

They might be releasing a lot of the bullion ones that come in the type set collection, it all so looks like the proof and the bullion dragon are different colours ?.

5. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

This years release is different to previous years. Previously they took one of the colored coins and put it in a box with a coa - there were 3,800 but they made up to 170,000 and released them as bullion versions (no box and coa but the coin was exactly the same). This year the boxed coin is actually different in design. It is a proof finish (mirrored background) and the colouring is different to the specimen coloured version. I have a proof and typeset in hand. The proof says no more than 10,000 of these will be released and typeset says no more than 1,500 but neither coa mention a worldwide mintage.

This is my understanding of how this goes but I could be wrong.

6. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

02234 C O A says no more than 10,000 willbe released by The Perth Mint.

7. Matthew 26:14

Ok thanks ppl so does anyone know if there will be a colored bullion version just colored coin no packaging and what that mintage might be?

8. Matthew 26:14

They used to say something like "no more than 3,800 of these boxed coins will be released by the mint" which then left the door open through which then pumped out 170,000 more of the exact same coins without the box which means you were paying like double or triple for a box over the coin versions

9. Lunartic

Lunartic Member Silver Stacker

I imagine the responses you have received regarding this years being a boxed proof vs. bullion coloured coins, should differentiate the two coins.

This was probably done to address the same issues you've mentioned. Eg. The box & COA were worth the extra $$$ as the coin remained the same

10. waievolution

waievolution New Member

From perth mint blog

Dean says:
    October 3, 2011 at 6:13 am

Hi Ron
    What has happened to the 1oz coloured bullion mintage 3800 as previous years?
    thanks

Ron Currie says:
    October 4, 2011 at 1:21 am

Hi Dean

Client feedback strongly suggested that collectors would like to see a proof version of the Coloured Lunar coin which prompted our decision to replace the offer of 3,800 coloured bullion coins.

Regards

Ron

11. waievolution

waievolution New Member

so instead of the 3800 colored bullion coins there is proof version. so the only way to get the bullion version is through the typeset!!!!

12. waievolution

waievolution New Member

well bullion with a certificate then.

i dont know about you guys but the bullion should come with a certificate. i sold all my bullion dragon but kept one.

13. Matthew 26:14

The mint choose their words very VERY carefully quite often and can be quite deceptive if you don't read them carefully and look for their cryptic meanings.

14. silver dragon

silver dragon New Member

Hello XXXXXXXXXX,

The coloured dragon coins will be released on October 4th - no orders can be taken before that date.

The coloured dragon will be issued in 1oz and oz. There will be no bullion coloured dragon coins.

Kind regards

XXXXXXX

The above is response I got from the Perth Mint before Oct 4th release when I enquired about pre ordering. I also asked if there was going to be a coloured bullion coin. It will be interesting to see what the eventual outcome is with these but I really do think that the coins will only be an issue of 10,000 and then the other 1500 in the typeset. Here's hoping anyway.

15. silver dragon

silver dragon New Member

No worries guys,
    I thought after getting the reply that I should have asked a whole lot more questions but at the time I just wasn't thinking. I was really trying to worm my way into getting them pre ordered which of course was a no go. So now I am wondering that if previously there was a coloured with 3,800 presentation packaging out of a woldwide release of 170,000 then if the dragon is 10,000 that would mean that if people were collecting coloured bullion in previous years there could be potentially 160,000 sets that can't be completed. If this is correct then there will be huge demand for those lonely little coloured dragons. ?

16. silver dragon

silver dragon New Member

Woa! that just sounds like mad rambling. Hope you get my drift though

17. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

I dont think we are getting the full story from PM yet.
    According to this schedule of what they propose to mint:

"ATTACHMENT B
    EXPLANATORY STATEMENT
    CURRENCY ACT 1965
    Currency (Perth Mint) Determination 2011 (No. 2)
    Under subsection 13A(1) of the Currency Act 1965, the Assistant Treasurer has made a determination regarding the specifications of coins proposed to be issued by the Perth Mint.
    Subsection 13A(1) of the Currency Act 1965 requires that the determination provide details of coin characteristics including standard composition, standard weight, allowable variation from standard weight, design and dimensions.
    A determination made by the Assistant Treasurer is a disallowable instrument for the purposes of section 42 of the Legislative Instruments Act 2003.

2012 Silver Australian Lunar Year of the Dragon Bullion Coloured Coins
    The design for the 2012 Australian Lunar Year of the Dragon silver bullion coins features a coloured representation (Red: 1kg, 10oz, 5oz, 2oz, 1oz and 1/2oz; Blue: 1oz; Silver: 1oz; Purple: 1oz; Brown: 1oz; White: 1oz; Yellow: 1oz; Black: 1oz and Gold: 1oz) of a dragon and a fireball. The coin includes the inscription 'Year of the Dragon' along with the Pinyin pictograph pronounced 'lng' and meaning 'dragon'. "

It seems that they will produce a coloured bullion coin.

I just wish the PM was a bit more transparent and let us collectors know ahead of time what it intends to release and a time frame. Getting the mint catalogue the day of the release is a bit backward, by that time most of the stock had already sold out!

18. silver dragon

silver dragon New Member

Yes if taking into account the other colours this could be true . Maybe though they might release the other coloured in a typeset as some people are suggesting. They might also only have a smaller mintage as well. They might only be bullion quality coins but not sold seperately and only in a complete set of 9. This would seem logical as the red one in the typeset is supposed to be very different from the boxed COA one ( i haven't sighted any yet so I really can't say for sure). I am betting that if the other colours come out in a typeset then if it contains a red dragon it will be identical to the one in the 4 coin set.
    Ha Ha lots of mights when it comes to the dragons but one thing is true. The whole guessing game is what is keeping the hype alive.

19. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi Matthew, Mintage show below

[​IMG]

20. Matthew 26:14

Transparency is not a strong suit at the mint. Even if they say we are not releasing a color bullion (despite what it says in the coin act above) the mint can at anytime this year turn around and say they have accepted a mint to order for say 200,000 colored bullion dragons which they might have planned all along anyway. remember the only restrictions are the mintages of the 1oz and 10kg after that its game on for the mint to produce whatever they like and however many they like.