Rare Earths Fall as Toyota Develops Alternatives

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Gold Kiwi, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Gold Kiwi

Gold Kiwi New Member Silver Stacker

2. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I feel that a similar story was posted months ago @_@

3. bellinvest

bellinvest New Member

Has anyone got any live spot price sites for Rare Earths? Ive had a look around but cant find any reliable back dated sites to monitor prices. Some of these rare earth companies will become a bargin in a few years as worldwide manufacturing gets hammered by the downturn.

4. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

Rare earths do not trade on the spot market, the producers usually sell directly to manufactures. The price of rare earths are usually priced per kg or metric ton in USD.

The below links may be of interest to you:

http://www.metal-pages.com/metalprices/rareearths/ - you will need to sign up to see the actual prices er kg or mt

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/rare_earths/

5. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Old news & has absolutely no bearing on the massive demand & restricted supply of REE's over the next 10 years ;)

VRS ;)x

6. Rippo

Rippo Member

If China decides to increase it's production again this would destroy other Companies share value?

7. bellinvest

bellinvest New Member

There are many variables in determing the value of a resource. We have to keep in mind China own the known monopoly of Rare Earth and they have nationalised their gold/silver and rare earth. So no or minimal exports. The worlds demand will only come from a few countries supply. Share prices would be expected to rise in the future, but that could be hampered by a massive global recession.

8. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've considered REEs up to now to basically be a paper game. There are a few places where you can buy bullion from, but most of them don't actually buy back, and that leads me to ask, even if the spot price rises, who are you going to sell to? (Apart from a small community of bullion holders doing the same thing?) Does this sound a reasonable line of thought?

9. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

What REE are sold in bullion form?

I have not heard of any? I could be completely wrong here.

The only kind of REE metal that I know that is in bullion form is Indium, then again Indium may not even be considered a REE.

10. vektor

vektor New Member

A few places sell RE bullion.. But I reckon its a gimmick. Try selling it to a dealer. These mins are generally not rare, just in minute quantities and require great effort to mine. BUT as technology advances and with General Electric and Toyota both working around RE dependency with Teslas patents, there is every possibility to get burned.

I think buying RE bullion would be about as smart as buying those dodgy bottles 'sponges' of rhodium from Kitco. Just less money wasted.

http://www.rareearthbullion.com/storepage771345.aspx

http://www.torquenews.com/119/toyota-and-tesla-alliance-produce-rare-earth-free-electric-motors

I couldnt be bothered signing up, but this page has the current prices of all metals:

http://www.metal-pages.com/metalprices/minors

I bet if you checked those RE bullion bar prices, the premium would be off the hook.

11. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

Thanks Buddy!

Good information all round, and had no idea they were making REE in bullion form.

Agree with you, definitely a gimmick!

Would be interested in getting some from a collectors point of view but don't think i can justify spending the money, starter pack seems ok.

12. vektor

vektor New Member

I def want to look at some, would buy a tiny bit for the hell of it...but I dunno about those prices.. Need to check the real world value of the metals.. May be paying a lot to process it into bullion.