Fraudulent charges after buying from Perth Mint yesterday!!!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by supradealz, Oct 5, 2011.

1. supradealz

supradealz New Member

The color proof dragons came back up last night (EST) so I went on to buy another one, and when I got to the submit screen it kept taking me back to the same submit screen. I tried several different credit cards and none would work, but they were all good cards.

So I closed that browser and opened a totally different browser (Safari) and went through and checked out fine on the first try.

Today I got a call from Fraud Dept saying there's over $3000 worth of unauthorized charges from Spain and other places....

I haven't used that card in over 9 months. Just heads up to you guys...

Only other place I may have used it was Canada mint but I'm not sure which card I used for that...

Its possible someone was redirecting traffic on their site (DNS hack) since they were getting hammered and stole credit card numbers. Everyone knew they were going to get hammered yesterday, it was a (legit) denial-of-service attack advertised days in advance.

2. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

Thanks for the notice!

I'll be ordering a few of the gilded ones in a couple of days. I'll make sure to double check my statement after.

3. silvertop

silvertop Member

Sorry to hear that, is your money lost?

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Not saying it didn't happen (cybercrime is rife), but what was the time delay between you attempting to use the card and being called about charges? Under 24 hours?

That seems a little TOO quick.

Have you contacted the Perth Mint in regards to this?

Editing the title of the thread from "fraud" to "fraudulent" - it sounded like you were saying "fraud charges" had been laid, rather than "fraudulent charges" made to your credit card.

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Card number could have been ripped off from a purchase long ago and the thieves just got recently got their hands on. Still not being a big believer in coincidences...I wonder...

6. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Just checked my AMEX, nothing yet but will keep an eye on it. I used it last time online for the proof dragons.

Anyway even if their site was legitimately DDOS'd I don't think they would redirect the DNS to a Russian mafia IP address :p

Chances are there's some spyware or addon in your browser?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

As fishball stated, it could very well be a localised issue to your PC. Spyware, unauthorised plugin or even outright a virus that can be at fault in this regard.

You need to ensure you have the latest antivirus updates & an active firewall on your PC.

Also download adaware and run a full system scan. Chances are that if you have been hacked, the offending software is still on your system as we speak.

8. goldpelican

Ok, I've just had a second member PM me and advise a similar thing has happened to their card this morning.

Check your credit card statements folks - if you find you have been affected, please PM me with your contact details should someone from the mint need to speak with you - it can help in technical investigation of any incident that may have occurred. I've advised the mint already of the issue.

I would like to point out that credit card fraud does happen every day - two reports out of 1000 visitors to Silver Stackers a day isn't damning evidence (I've had a fraudulent transaction on a card once every 2 years on average), but if a pattern emerges, it could be very useful for someone to be able to speak to you who is investigating the technical issues of any attack should it be confirmed that there was a breach.

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Last year(?), my CC company call me about potential fraud charges on my card and that was before the charges even posted to my online card account. Ironically, I believe the only charge I had made within the prior two weeks was a charge to Apmex about 2 days before the fraudulent charges. I reported my suspicions to them, but they didn't reply.

10. waievolution

waievolution New Member

i'm sure it is not perth mint. must be somewhere else where u used your credit card or like the others said someones else got hold of your credit card details.

11. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looking into it - have dropped a line to PM.

VRS ;)x

12. goldpelican

If someone's card details have been compromised and are in the hands of a third party (regardless of how they were obtained), that's a futile gesture.

Just checked my card statement - no issues. Like the original poster I was also attempting to buy Dragons from the mint and had to resubmit my payment details in the checkout process multiple times because of the site crashing, but that was on the 4th, not last night.

I would be taking up auspm's suggestion of scanning your PC for local threats - if your machine was compromised, it wouldn't matter if it was the Perth Mint, Amazon or eBay - any site you entered credit card details into would have resulted in the numbers being captured and passed along, from your local machine - not the destination website.

edited - quoted deleted text

13. phynixbullion

phynixbullion Member

i dont use credit cards over the net full stop ....bank deposits or nothing simple !

14. supradealz

supradealz New Member

the card is a MC debit so its linked to my checking account. i will get the money back but it may take 30 days. i havent used that card in forever... over 9 months. usually cc thieves will use a card immediately. The scalpers will sell the cards to people who make a living charging fraudulent items. 2 train tickets in spain, a hotel in the USA, somewhere else. All consumables where service is gained immediately before the fraud alert kicks in. So the thieves have to blitz the card before fraud prevention kicks in, usually the first 2-3 charges will go through. About $3k in charges total.
    The main reason i doubted it was because of the website bug, it would not submit no matter and no error message.
    Interesting enough it only occurred on the one order i tried to use paypal on.

And yes i know for certain it is not my computer because I have a Macbook and macs are pretty much immune to spyware and bots, plus i'm very careful, and furthermore (don't tell Perth Mint) I placed about 5 orders for all my family members with different cards (hence the card i havent used in 9 mo) and none of the other cards got hit, and none of the other checkouts i noticed the bug.

So I'm thinking these thieves were blasting the DNS servers and of course 99.9 of the traffic got through Perth Mint but then .01 of the time the DNS server would fail to reply and they replied a fake IP so it redirected to another spoof site. They would be unable to redirect all traffic. So you figure out of the millions of hits maybe they scored a couple hundred cards. or thousands. but how many people check their cards every day. and of those people how many are on this forum? its such a coincidence there are 2 people on this small site that report the same problem who shopped on the same day at perth mint.

15. VRS

There's DNS redirection and there's database access. Either way I've dropped a msg to PM to find out what's going on.

Please edit your post as we do not want to propagate any false rumor or incorrect information inadvertently regarding PM's online security.

VRS ;)x

16. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

Thanks for the heads up guys! My order was placed through the phone so I guess I'm spared. But will pass the message around to my friends who purchased from the website directly.

17. Silver Chronicle

Silver Chronicle New Member

Things are getting bad these days, I guess it's for your safety but when in doubt I agree always have a paper trail for evidence or make the phone call to confirm your order.

18. VRS

Please be careful if you are to make statements to your contacts which might imply that there is a problem until the facts have been established - that's how false rumors are spread buddy.

VRS ;)x

19. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

No worries mate. Not gonna start a witch hunt :)

Will just ask them to check their credit card statements to see if all in order.

Cheers

20. goldpelican

Silver Chronicle,

Post your URL again and your account will be removed for violating the forum spamming guidelines.