Scratched capsules?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ponzi, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Ponzi

Ponzi New Member

Hi all, I have been lurking in the shadows for over a year, thanks for the great info- first time poster.

With the low prices we recently experienced I took the chance to add to my collection.
    I picked up 18 x 1kg 2011 silver koalas from a coin dealer who guaranteed they were uncirculated.
    To be honest I would prefer bars as I am an investor not a collector but coins are all that I can get at the right price.

On return home from pickup today I have noticed a fair amount of scratching on the outside of the capsules. Grrr.....

As I have only previously ever purchased from Perth mint directly all my other coins are noticeably clearer.
    So much for my bright idea of trying a coin dealer to save on postage and insurance to sydney :(

Will this affect their resale?
    They look fine until you get them near another more clear capsule?
    the silver looks flawless?
    Am I just being picky?

Thanks in advance.....

2. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Capsules are cheap, ask Maggie.

Yes, it will affect resale value in some way, presuming your honest and upfront in your sale description. It will be minor.

edit: oops, didn't realize these were 1kg. :(

3. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

not sure if 1kg koalas will have any numismatic value though.. so the capsules may or may not make any difference (my 6pence only)

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, either contact Maggie for new capsules or dont worry about it.

and yeah it will impact the value by around 0.3 % if that.

5. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

product available on ebay called slab renew - reputed to be able to clean slabs. Contacted the seller and he assures me that will clean scratches from capsules. have some on order. if you want the details of seller pm me. I am hoping to do a before and after photos to share when all comes together.

6. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

er sorry loss of manners

welcome

7. Dan Unda

Dan Unda Member Silver Stacker

G'day, and welcome to the nuthouse ;)

Seems to me that the capsules have done exactly what they're designed to do, protect the coin within....

If the scratching isn't too severe, I've found Mothers Plastic Polish > http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06208_c.html will make a noticeable difference.

On my vehicles' bonnet & headlight protectors & weathershields, I use Plexus > http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html , and it does a very good job in that application, so it should work equally well on these capsules..

Alternatively, Perf Mint sells the 1kg capsules.. Well, they sold me one several months ago when I needed to replace a broken one :|
    From memory, the the postage cost more than the capsule which was about $5, so I bought a leatherette covered clamshell case to go with it :D

Give the retail shop a buzz on 08 9421 7425

:)

8. Ponzi

Ponzi New Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

I think I will grim and bear it for the moment but it's good to know replacements are cheap. I am interested in how well that Slab renew works out too kaz?

Good idea on the car polish too dan, thanks

9. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I never thought capsules were a big deal as long as the coin inside was preserved in good order.

But I was recently informed that someone was dissatisfied with a 1oz Panda I sent them, because the capsule was heavily scratched. So some people take capsule condition seriously... I'm going to need to individually package each coin in a special sealable pouch me thinks.

When I buy Pandas, I'm too busy looking for the whitespots or defects, that the condition of the capsule just doesn't bother me.

As Dan Unda said: if the capsules are scratched they "...have done exactly what they're designed to do, protect the coin within."

10. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Don't believe if selling, the capsule condition will make a cent of difference.
    I got some new 1kg units a couple of months ago and in shipping all capsules were broken.
    Requested new capsules and they arrived without any delay.
    Feeling better looking at new shiny coins through unscratched clear plastic - nothing at all to do with value though.
    Due to recent major falls in Ag, I have to be careful the capsules don't get spot marked with dried salty tears !

11. silvertop

silvertop Member

Way to make an entrance mate, 18 x 1kg wow!

12. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

As you stated you bought 1 kg koalas cos they were cheap compared to bars, this statement says it all, no or very little premium. Consider these coins basically bullion. Not worth paying more on new capsules as I don't think you will get the cost back at sale time.
    And welcome to SS, hope I don't sound down on you.
    Mega first buy,keep it up..

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi and congrats on joining the silver party.

Those Koalas are cheap as chips for a reason (koalas are the bottom of the barrel).

Having said that compared to bars id go the koalas... close to spot for any silver is a good deal.

RE: casing.. as these are ONLY koalas i would bother.. even if they were kooks or lunars i still may not unless i wanted a mint collection or i had a valuable numismatic item: ie: lunar series 1 dragon

PS: it apys to dollar cost average so you dont get ripped off as a newbie.. ie: settle into the silver market slowly by starting off making little purchases.

1for1

14. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Chillidog

Perth Mint is selling 1kg Koalas at AUD 1,096.68, 1 kg bars at AUD 1,030.68 as at 1712 05 Oct 2011. Thats a AUD66 difference. Perth Mint's spot was AUD 31 an oz at the time. So spot for 1 kg of silver would be AUD31 * 32.1505 which is AUD 996.67. From my POV that'a AUD100 fee on the Koala and AUD40 on the bar.

How can Koalas be cheaper cf bars? Or am I missing something because I've been staring into a computer screen all day?

15. Ponzi

Ponzi New Member

Just to clarify, the koalas were not cheaper than the bars, there was a $10 premium on the koala. ;)
    The dealer was charging Perth mint prices for the 1kg koalas but $50 over PM price for the 1kg bars, hence I picked koalas.
    I figured it was worth $10 to turn my lumps of silver into shiny coins