Does this look right to you panda experts?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by AndyRoo68, Sep 29, 2011.

1. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Hi
    Have been looking for a 2006 Proof Panda and came across this on ebay:

Looks legit, but I noticed the box doesn't match the coin, which gets by BS radar working overtime :)

Not desperate to buy, I suppose the old saying if it looks to good to be true then it probably is, but also always on the lookout for a good price on something.

Cheers

AndyRoo

2. petercamperdown

petercamperdown New Member

Can't tell how legit the coin is, but the box is not an original as you already know. Wouldn't bother if I was you

3. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

seller = crap

the ebay item number brings up a coin that is a 1996 "BU" and not "Proof" as advertised ... that is even if it's an authentic 1996, the pics are sketchy

4. AndyRoo68

Thanks for that :)
    Just wanted a bit of confirmation, being new at this thought there may be the chance that that box was all that the china mint supplied all coins in - never know unless you ask :).
    Can't tell if coin is legit, but doesn't matter if it is or not, was only interested because it had the box and coa.

Thanks

AndyRoo

5. comeaux

here is how seller has it listed in the header "China 1996 10 Yuan 1oz Silver Panda Coin BU Proof Set" ???

So which is it a BU or Proof? Then farther down it is described as a "proof" which it is not, at best if it is authentic it's a $100 to $110 coin at best in raw condition.

The only "proof" here is that the seller is a scam artist or uneducated in Chinese Pandas ...

6. comeaux

maybe I read your post wrong but I would be more interested in if the coin is legit, the box being authentic is important too but not nearly as much as having an authentic coin

7. AndyRoo68

Could have phrased that better :)
    If the whole set had been legit, ie coin, box and coa, then i thought it might have been a good price. Since the box doesn't belong to the coin, then the deal no longer appealed to me, but wanted to check with the experts here.
    Spending that kind of money - a lot to me - want to be sure what I pay for is legit.

8. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Its not a 96 proof, may be a BU if you're lucky. The 96 proof the bears looking left, this one it's looking right. Pics arent very good, even so it doesnt look legit... something funny about the dimensions, I'd stay well away if I were you. Buy slabbed or else highly trustworthy Panda sellers, in my experience there's no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to Pandas

9. AndyRoo68

So, a proof panda is an 'ultra cameo'?.

10. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

By my understanding not necessarily. They CAN be if graded accordingly against a certain range of criteria eg; contrast. But a BU coin can NEVER be graded Ultra cameo. Check on that but I think that's how it works.

11. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Ok people.

Two different things

Condition & Strike

Proof and Beautiful Uncirculated are different strikes.

There are various Conditions but usually you'd expect to find these Pandas in at least BU, cameo is a higher grade usually associated with a MS-70 strike which is an exceptional specifimen amongest population.

1for1

12. AndyRoo68

excuse my ignorance, but how can I tell the difference between a regular 2006 and a proof 2006?

Take this one for example:
    ebay 180730312159

nowhere does it say on the packaging it is 'proof', so how do I know that it is? Are there identifying marks or different markings.

Am getting the panda book off maggie, so hopefully there might be something in there that can help me identify what is what :)

13. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

On proof vs. BU:

The "PF 69 UC" means proof grade 69 ultra cameo. If it were a BU coin, it would say "MS 69" for mint state grade 69.

Some Chinese proof coins have a "P" in a circle, some don't. They pretty much were making up their own guidelines as they went along :).

On fakes:

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3548247-002

Here you can compare NGC's image taken when they graded the coin to the image the seller posted on eBay. You can see they match, so the seller most likely posting a real photo. Even with a real photo, the listing can still be fraudulent. I've had sellers rip off my photos and text to make their own fraudulent listing.

In this particular auction, I know who the seller is, and he's legit.

One of the benefits to eBay is that they insure your purchases. So if you get scammed, you'll get your money back.

The original auction that started this thread is a fake.

14. petercamperdown

petercamperdown New Member

Starting in 1995, the Mint decided that this P mark is unnecessary and it was then removed from all Proof silver panda coins. Therefore, no P mark exists in the design of Proof silver panda coins in the year of 1995 and 1996.

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Thank you guys, this forum is becoming more educated and worldly as the days go by.

Looks like all is cool there Andy.

OT, but has any one heard about the release of the PRC Lunars and whether we can buy them in Australia? Or will we have to go through PandaAmerica etc. USD/AUD exchange rate has become user unfriendly here unfortunately.

16. AndyRoo68

To tamo42 and everyone else - thank you :)

Was getting confused with all the types of grading, makes sense now.

As for the lunar coloured, just saw the black bullion ones on ebay germany (1/2oz, 1oz & 2oz), so my total guess is that it will be an overseas release only - have no info to back that up though. The 1oz black was Euro79 (ebay 220863429019) (was actually trying to get a 2009 lunar ox, seem to be impossible to get here, but german site wouldn't ship to aus!)

I agree, lots of good info on this site - just have to sort through a bit of crap too and a few ego's :)

17. comeaux

AndyRoo68

Just to clarify ... there are no "proof" 1oz Silver or Gold Pandas for the year 2006 they are all BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) including the 1 oz commemoratives for that year.

The only proofs for this year were the larger denomination gold, silver & bimettalic coins.

comeaux