Has anyone Struck a good deal on Ebay ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by poon88, Sep 29, 2011.

1. poon88

poon88 New Member

Just wondering has anyone got a good deal on ebay before? I know it must be hard for sellers because of Ebay's premiums when selling. Yesterday I thought I hit the jackpot when I thought I scored 10x1 oz Kooks for $50 :p.
    This was a "counter offer" to my "$10" bid. Dealer cancelled order saying that he missed a "0". Even after the order was finalised and funds were transferred. I never knew buyers could retract so easily..

Aaah well my money got refunded, would have been an epic deal.. :).

Whats your thoughts ?

2. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Bought slightly under spot, including postage, a few times.

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I used to get pretty good buys on e-Bay but in the past 6 - 9 months it's become much harder and many coins both gold and silver can be purchased from bullion dealers for less.
    Some e-Bay sellers are loading their P& P charges and making the total way too high.
    Reckon many more people have joined the bandwagon and are buying PMs.

To flip the coin I have sold a few coins on e-Bay.
    Once the fees have been deducted and considering the wait ( often ) for payment; then the packing and taking to the post office etc., it is marginal whether it is worth it.
    If I hand over a few coins to a dealer and take what appears to be less, in reality it is probably much the same but less hassle.

Also there are many e-Bayers that describe a bullion UNC coin as a proof.
    A minority ( thankfully) that ship fakes ( unknowingly ? )
    Some who sell proof coins with greasy fingermarks, stains in grubby, scratched capulses.

As for spotting a bargain like 10% of value, the seller can withdraw because of a mistake or indeed at any time without you ever knowing the real reason.
    Happens quite regularly.

4. purplefunkything

purplefunkything Member Silver Stacker

Ditto

5. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

I used to buy up madly on ebay when ag was between 10-20 usd.

Used to pick up ASE's just over spot and the occasional kg bar @ spot. Also would clean out 1/10 Gold coins lol.

When ag started to rise in price I noticed that alot more wankers came on ebay and started to shaft people so I dont use the bay anymore for buying pm's.

6. stinkypete

stinkypete Member

before i was half educated i thought i got good deals there , now i rarely use ebay for bullion .

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Yes I have had good deals, and on oztion too (or quicksales as it is now known)

8. Philski

Philski Member

only today i picked up (delivered) 5x 925 tiffany and co girls necklaces another 925 chain and a heavy girls 925 bracelet for under $10 delivered from a lady in WA. total weight 0.8210 ozt Or approx $13 per oz 9999 silver content

9. silvstack

silvstack Member

i've gotten some decent deals - a few great deals i got were very poorly poorly represented or had exorbitant shipping prices - either of which deterred serious bidding, but in the end price plus shipping was below spot. that's for bullion - for 'collectibles' it seems variable. generally on ebay sellers get screwed with regard to bullion, they would often be better off selling to apmex. for collectibles it seems random - i used to think a well presented ad was the key but mostly i think it is random. also i've got a hunch that you can use timing in your favor - since most bids are placed live, if an auction closes at an unpopular time you might have a better chance.

10. poon88

poon88 New Member

Awesome just wondering do you sell the silver in its 925 form or get it refined ??
    Also how do you work out the 925 to 999 conversion...

Thanks
    Poon88

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Not to take your deal away or anything but we had a post a while back with fake Tiffany jewelry apparently one of the most copied and fake items out there ? Here's hoping yours is all good :)

12. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I've gotten killer deals, okay deals and a couple not so great ones when I couldn't find an item anywhere else. eBay buyers are an odd lot, often paying more than retail for common items. One thing I noticed when I was buying Pt grams was once in a blue moon I could pay 20% lower than retail which is when I bought, but most of the time they pay more than retail. I've seen say a 2010 panda go for 60, then a few hours later or earlier go for say 74.
    Timing is everything. If you are interested in something, do a search, add everyone you find to your watch list, then just one by one as they come and go, put in your bids, every now and then you'll win with a bid a lot lower than the 'going' rate.

13. Philski

Philski Member

Thanks austacker
    you know i never even acid tested them. the tiff and co stamp is a bit average under 10x loupe so may well be duds.. They look and feel right though.

my tips for ebay buying

try typos, auctionbloopers dot c*m etc. i got an 88 holey dollar last week for $43 "HOLY dollar" do worldwide search and use search description if you want to really fine tune it. only bid what you can afford. if you want to snipe an auction justsnipe dot c*m is good and free with 5 second out bids. if you want to know what someone has bid, bid $100000 or more ( whatever) etc and then retract the bid, sneeky and not ethical, but you will know the score, before the final siren. Or if your after cheap 925 tiff and co necklaces with questionable silver content,, buy from me :)

14. Guest

Guest Guest

If you do your research properly and have the time to spend you can get some excellent bargains on Ebay , just as an example while everyone is looking for silver, try a search for 1 oz SLIVER instead

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1oz-Aust...320766978268?pt=AU_Coins2&hash=item4aaf33a8dc

You never know what might turn up . Check the ending times of auctions, if your a night owl and an Aussie auction is ending at say 2:00 Am then you can count on 75% of the competition being asleep and almost guarantee a lower ending price. Auctions ending a day or so before the end of a pay period are also great times to bid and buy along with peak T.V viewing times , Master chef finals or state of origin footy and the like.

Spend a few hrs loading different searches and then add all these odd listings and out of wack ending times into your watch list , keep an eye out for mislisted items such as the one above or auctions that end while most people are cooking dinner on a Tuesday night or organising the kids while getting ready for work on a Monday morning or similar.

Steer clear of payday night Auctions and also Fri/Sat as people tend to over bid and become uninhibited with a few payday drinks which leads to higher prices and more bids.

15. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Very good advice, I forgot all that. I actually learned it or the opposite really while reading up on selling. If you took everything a good seller should do and do the opposite, it'd make ya a good buyer!

16. damien192x

damien192x New Member

People are still bidding on 1/oz Kookaburra silver coins at 48.00 + $5 postage?? Wtf

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Yep i got done on two bracelets from a reliable dealer.
    No hassles received a refund,he didn't have an XRF at the time and took it on word from his reliable supplier.
    Won't touch the stuff now without XRF ing it first

18. Lunty

Lunty New Member Silver Stacker

Got a ripper of a deal on ebay. It came in the mail today, all this for $1500, around 30gram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very Happy :D

19. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Lunty

Lunty New Member Silver Stacker

What , not good