new to coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by jx2133, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jx2133

jx2133 New Member

Hi! I've just started considering buying coins as an investment. Problem is i don't know what type of coin i should go with!

Which one would you guys buy?

a) Sovereign
    b) Gold Lunar coins (most likely 1/10 cos i don't actually have that much paper)
    c) Silver lunar coins

2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Welcome and you've come to the best place on the internet. The people are both knowledgeable and humorous, have fun!

I can tell you what I think and have learned.
    First I collect 1/10, but have stopped because the premiums are just too high. Instead I save, control my impulses and just bought my first 1/4. It was an eagle. 1/2 and full oz of gold are just not feasible for my budget.
    I also diversify. I collect pure bullion, I prefer bars, but it's a personal preference only. I also collect a few 'collector coins' Pandas, Lunars, Canadian wildlife and RAM Roos because I feel like they have a great chance too appreciate and I just like the way they look.
    When I buy bullion I don't mind buying 1 oz at a time because the premium isn't bad and I can't afford to buy 5 and 10 oz every time. I have bar vaults I keep my 1 oz bars in which is why I'm partial to 1 oz bars, again personal preference. Some folks have the payola to buy kilos and 100 oz bars and that's killer, it's just not in my range.

4. jx2133

jx2133 New Member

thanks for the advice :) oh yea and the link!

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Silver Lunar and Silver Pandas (current year only)

Try to get limited mintage bullion that is as close to spot as possible with a potential increase over and above that of silver price

cheers,

1for1

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally ..

a & c

However they are not the only options!

7. jx2133

jx2133 New Member

sooo what other options will u guys suggest?

8. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

My strategy has been to buy a little bit of many types of bullion..rounds ,mostly.

Try to get a feel for them ,by owning just a couple...then focus on putting together some sets.Silver pandas from 2009 to 2011 are fairly do-able.
    As are Series 2 Lunar 1 oz..Nothing like a hunt for "that particular" round or coin to keep you focused,especially when the next big thing comes along :)
    1/10 gold suits my pocket..don't listen to those who moan about the premium..it is built in to the round..plenty of new buyers will come into the market who can only afford to buy the 1/10 variety ..

Above all ,enjoy yourself..it's only real money

9. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Canadian silver grizzly (if you can still find them) and the silver Cougar (recently available)...these seem to be worthwhile...limited mintage and part of a collectable set. Lower premium than US silver eagles. A dealer here in southern California is paying spot +$4USD for the Canadian silver wolf and +$1.50USD for the grizzly. Silver eagle only gets spot+$1USD.

10. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I moaned a little, but he's right, if 1/10 are best for your budget...go for it