Future of General Discussion forum

Discussion in 'Forum News / Announcements' started by Administrator, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

For once renovator, we are in total agreeance on this issue.

I appreciate the kind words and sentiment regarding said position, but there's absolutely no way I'd make an unbias and impartial moderator.

There's certainly an element of compromise, rational logic and mediation skills required for such a role which I can appreciate, but there's too much possibility of a severe conflict of interest to unfold here with the wrong person holding the keys.

Whilst I have a base of moral support from many of you (which I strongly believe it's just minds that think alike gravitating towards each other), there are those that I do conflict here with and I think it would be best for all involved if the playing field was kept as even as possible in regards to potential future personality conflicts.

I'm a supreme egoist who will not compromise on my own principles or values.

Trust me, you don't want that sort of person with moderation powers in a place like this.

So let's just call an end to that line of thinking and save GP the potential headaches.

There's FAR better options here on SS for such a role and whilst GP is not entertaining popular votes, I will certainly say again I am not the person for such a job.

2. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I find it unfortunate that people are too easy to offend here O_O

But then again, I think i'ts just that people these days always want an excuse to sue others, they _really_ aren't offended. ;)

Anyway, I'll go with whatever GP says. :|

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

YKY for mod, all problems will be solved. Including the GFC and Euro debt crisis.

4. zurnaik

zurnaik Member

Perhaps remove 'general discussion' and replace it with a sub-forum called "the cesspit" that requires an opt-in/third level of registration say where you have to email an admin to get access and agree that it is an un-moderated discussion. If you can't handle un-moderated discussions then don't sign up for it. That way it stops the public 'professional investor' coming along, doing the auto-register and finding a couple of unfortunate posts and poo-pooing the whole site.

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Oh man can you imagine that !!! "listen here you commie you cant say that savvvvie ? " hahaha .

6. Forge

Forge Member

A wonderful example of the distinction that should exist between wrong and illegal; an even better example of someone who understands the consequences thereof.

As to the overall topic.. part of this is just the difficulties of growth down the PM track. As time goes on, the ratio of signal to noise drops because there are so many more people who haven't the time on topic to really understand. Also, the diversity of backgrounds increases as PM becomes more retail oriented.

I like the idea of the General Discussion specific banning that was suggested above. But I haven't run one of these things so its hard to say. Set up something you can handle and we will all work around it.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Just to say, I intend to leave Silver Stackers shortly, once I have received all my outstanding metals from folk who have either swapped with me or are holding stuff for me. I will also try to fulfil as many of folks 'wish lists' as I can before I go.

I've learnt a lot from the forums and I have dealt with some diamond folk on here.

However, I agree that this place has become like the schoolyard in terms of gossipy, back stabbing and scape goating. It's all become a bit too cliquey for my liking and if you are not with any one 'group' then it seems like you are the enemy of all. Hypocrisy is also running rife.

But thanks to all those who have been a pleasure to deal with, you know who you are! :)

8. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I think that common sense needs to make a comeback here.
    I've been guilty in the past of insulting fellow members, and have rightfully copped a beating from the Boss for it... but i think i've learned from it by asking some hard questions of myself, and i believe I'm now a better blogger for it.

If I can learn how to discuss/debate various topics - including HOT topics - without insulting the other person - then ANYBODY can ... trust me!! :lol:

I'd just hate to see this forum reduced to a GESTAPO-like place where one has to watch every word uttered in case somebody can think up some way in which they could take offence to it...

I also dont agree with the sentiment that one should never be allowed to make any references to anything related to religion or politics or anything like that.
    That would make many genuine debates/conversations downright impossible as these are extremely broad topics that affect every single aspect of our existance, and a blanket ban would make discussions on just about any topic very strained and non-genuine.

It's not the subject that should be made taboo - it's the WAY THAT WE RELATE TO EACH OTHER that counts!
    I think that gagging freedom of speech has serious drawbacks ... however people should remain respectful of each other - and definately NOT engage in anything that can be categorised as HATE SPEECH by any REASONABLE PERSON.

It would also be nice if people could try not to be over sensitive. Maybe i'm just thick skinned, but i'm amazed at how wussy some people on here can be...
    Have a sense of humour mate - and if you dont - have a cup of concrete and toughen the hell up!

9. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

yeh well if that were so then i'd be history a long time ago!

I'd like to think that i contribute something positive to this forum, even if it is just comic relief :lol:

It's like i said earlier - let's try not to make this like the Gestapo. This forum has always been a fun place to go and i learn from spending time here, AND i have many good laughs as well. Without the laughs i probably wouldn't spend much time here, so would definately learn less.

you cant learn unless you're having fun, and being too rigid and Gestapo like is not conducive to having fun

10. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Trust Yippe to invoke Godwin's Law :rolleyes:

To bring this back on track, the point of my first post in this thread was that Silver Stackers is a precious metals, numismatics and investment discussion forum.

For those that haven't seen it before, here's a nice juicy bone :)

http://www.discussanything.com/forums/forum.php

11. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Well said YKY, some personal attacks can be warned as heated debate goes on in any forum. I recently got warned on another site for calling another member a "parasite" in a political discussion.

There is a monumental gap between this and racial or religious vilification posts. This stuff gets you fired from your job on the spot in professional life and how one thinks they can get away with it here is beyond me.

12. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

+1000000.

13. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

+1

14. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

People who want to discuss subjects other than gold and silver should go to an appropriate forum.
    Those who want to push particular agendas ,such as right wing politics or race anger,will find all kinds of suitable forums available to them.
    People who refuse to treat others with dignity and respect can find people on other forums that enjoy mutual abuse also.
    This is a forum about silver and gold,don't destroy it.
    Go somewhere else and leave those who want to exchange useful information about gold and silver for their mutual profit,here to do so.
    The internet is full of other forums to satisfy all the other interests other than Precious metals.
    Meet there for your other interests.

Bad blood makes bad trading.

15. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

16. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

um
    subject was never the issue here.
    its the fact that certain people took it a step further and starting break 'laws'...ridiculous as it may seem and all that freedom or speech blah blah.....the fact is admin do not want a headache or hassles if a member decided to take legal action. they do not want more work moderating the forum. It is easier for them to nip it in the bud.

all this gestapo stuff....dont like it here?..move on, nothing to see.

17. renovator

Ive just realised the general discussion has been canned & theres no posting new topics. I seen the boss mention it but thought it was back because theres still posts being made in some threads.

Im about as sharp as a bowling ball sometimes :cool:

18. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Well that's a sad day unfortunately. Interestingly, there's probably been arguments in nearly all sub-forums. Time to troll the real estate sub-forum methinks :p

19. renovator

Yeah lets go shiney . Now if i could just think of something intelligent to say there. :lol:

20. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

You know... you could join the Tin Foil Hat Brigade.

We are looking for aliens, espers and time travellers. :D