Sending Silver Overseas

Discussion in 'Silver' started by RetardedMonkey, Sep 25, 2011.

1. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I know there's a bit of hassle with GST bringing silver into the country, but what about when sending it overseas?

Someone has contacted me on eBay wanting to know if I send overseas (USA) and I am unsure as to whether I should pursue this avenue as it might be more hassle than it's worth...

2. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

I have sent a few coins over there recently. No hassles. Everyone happy.

Just be aware that Registered international does not appear to include online tracking.

It is possible, however that ingots/bars may be treated different. I sent less than $500 over.

3. RetardedMonkey

I'd be sending coins also.

Maybe it's worth the risk... hm.

4. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

I would think the risks is on their end

5. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

find some one who will go to USA and let them carry coins to there then post, you pay money for cost

6. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Definitely arbitrage opportunities. IMO the risk is only fractionally higher than domestic aus post. You can safeguard by purchasing a better postage option and passing on the cost to the purchaser. Payment via paypal for security (i know, fees suck right) but at the end of the day it makes it less hassle and i suspect your margins will be reasonable anyway.

7. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I've posted silver to Germany and investigated postage to Singapore - all just very expensive which in effect cancelled the benefit if finances were the only consideration. I wore the additional cost to Germany and just took it as a lesson.

8. RetardedMonkey

I'll have a think about it today and might just let the auction run its course (only got another day and a half).
    After that, I could always offer them to the guy in the USA.

And I don't use anything but Paypal on eBay, too many scams etc. The fees are always factored in anyway!

9. undftd

undftd Member Silver Stacker

Im sendin my first and probably last
    Order to Malaysia. What kind of postage would you recommend for <2kg.

10. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Background: I have a website through which approx 90% of my buyers are from the USA. I have been operating the site for nearly 10 years now, making twice weekly postings of between 5-20 articles. All my post is almost exclusively coins. Most of the current sales are silver bullion 2 and 5 mark coins.

I have not had a single problem mailing to the US in all that time. I mail all items in small padded post bags which go as "letters" so long as they are not too thick. I complete an Australin Post customs form for each but seeing as I'm often posting a dozen or so items at a time, I print out the customs forms prior to going to the PO rather than completing by hand at the PO. In doing so, I genericly put the value of the contents as $20, the item description as "medallions", my name, my address, and I leave all other areas blank (ie nothing on commercial items, no ticks against gift or merchandise or document etc, no telephone number.)

I don't insure any of the above. Very occassionally, I might pay extra for what is called "delivery confirmation". All this does is ensure that the recipient sign for the item. I only do that if for some reason, I have communicated with the buyer and they sound a little "weird".

IF, I have an item/s of over $300 in value, I consider insuring for a minimum of $100 worth so as to have a tracking number. Again, not so much as something going missing via the post but so that any potential troublesome buyer can be set straight very quickly in terms of locating/monitoring their packages progress.

From over 10 years of trading and mailing thousands of items to the US, my experience has been that it is one of the safest places to mail to. They also don't appear to have an "anal" customs service like we have.

Send me a pm if you'd like RM and I can explain more or in better detail. Cheers.

11. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I get tracking on packages from Thailand

12. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

to clarify,

I do not believe that Australia posts' Registered international method of shipment includes online tracking.

I have sent multiple packages to the US via this means and none have been able to be tracked online. There are other products that Australia post offers for international shipping that do include online tracking.

I am talking bare bones, registered international Australia Post. I am told tracking can be done via phone though.

13. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

In argentina if you put less than 25 au and numismatics items. Dont have any customs problems.
    registered international Australia Post is with tracking when arribe to my country. I can check where is?
    I make a lot of international purchases. And i dont have any problem. From Australia make a lot too.

14. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Perhaps not relevant to you guys but something I learned in Euroland.
    UPS will insure loss of precious metals but DHL will NOT. Check the small print on your courier's terms as often valuables require additional insurance or special attention and higher shipping charges.
    Declaring a low value for insurance purposes at the request of the buyer will mean you will be insured only for that value if lost.
    PayPal will cover you for buyer dispute only if the shipment is tracked and signed for as delivered. If it is not signed for then acording to PayPal it was not delivered so you may have a fight on your hands for compensation.

15. cnsjock

cnsjock New Member

Beware when using DHL, there are a lot of virus emails circulating with there logo. using your information.

16. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just to expand on that, there is indeed a phone contact to assist in tracking but it is limited. For example, I recently had a package go to the UK which the customer was concerned about. When I rang the International deliveries section of Aust post, they were able advise me of the exact dates that the item was accepted by UK customs, the date it was released by UK customs, and most importantly for me... :) .. the date that attempted delivery was made by UK post to the recipient.

With regards to some of my regular post to the USA via registered international post, the Aust post phone contact can also confirm the date of arrival to the USA and tracking from thereon within the US postal system.

Canada is an interesting one. While parcels can be sent International registered post to Canada, they can't be sent via International insured post. At least, this is what two different PO branches here have seperately advised me on a number of cases. Therefore, for me, posting silver to Canada is potentially problematic.