October 2011 Stock Market MegaCrash

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by chimpanchu, Sep 25, 2011.

1. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

3. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Now, I wonder if there are some wise folk here who might give some thoughts as to what this might mean for other parts of the economy (banks/cash, PM's, Real Estate) etc?

I'm not wise enough to connect all the dots on this >.<

4. donkarnash

donkarnash Member

+1.......all the financial & economic lingo's and charts etc puzzle me....many articles are long and complicated and talk about historical charts...ratio's etc...but at the end just finish with lets see what will happen.....

and I feel.....ok mate whats the moral of the story.....

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

You're gonna get a lot of conflicting opinions on this lol, especially when talking about Real Estate. But... the other two...

PM's will most likely tank as everybody (funds) scramble to offload their Gold ETFs to cover their losses in equities, and Silver will just tank even harder as commodities get hit by slowing global demand.

Banks should be ok, in the short term I don't believe they will have a liquidity problem (bank runs) but I think the AUD will drop like it did in 2008.

Except for Macquarie Bank though, I'm surprised they are still alive after failing at their core business of M&A for so long.

6. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Fishball - I do realise there will be differing opinions on this, and there will be many ways to look at, and postulate what may happen :) I see that as "reader beware" - opinions, whilst valued by those of us, like me, who don't quite get all the big picture stuff, are just that - opinions, and not a "gospel truth" of events to come.

Appreciate the insight - seems you're looking towards another "back up the truck" event :)

7. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

On my calender I have got the 26th circled.

Can't remember why or from what site.

But lets see what happens on the 26th....................

8. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It was only last wednesday that I looked at the few silver ETFs (6k) I have. I thought "hmmh, they are currently in profit. My experiment in buying them so I can quickly sell them when they are worth a fortune hasn't really panned out. Think I'll sell them and just buy 100 or so 1 oz coins". I mostly have been buying physical anyway (AU and AG) but seeing as I had a COMSEC account and some residual ugly shares a few months ago, I simply sold off the residual stocks and bought the silver ETFs on a whim.

Well so much for selling them off for a little profit! I'll have to sit on them now till the cows come home (or Silver gets back up to $39 +) before I can consider selling again!

Wednsday last week was approx 48 hours before the "correction" cum "crash". Oh well. At least I finally got my roll of 1 oz dragons on Thursday. I wonder if I can somehow bottle and relive all the dragon mania and hype so as to be distracted from the present.

Luckily I long ago took a backward step from the share market. Got to dig up some fiat and think about adding to the stack while prices are good.

9. Szag

Szag Member Silver Stacker

If it's your anniversary and you forget it then you will see SHTF :)

10. Au.Ag.Mzch

Au.Ag.Mzch New Member

Something to do with Comet Elenin? Not that I'm really that worried about it, just keeping it in the back of my mind if anything does happen