Need some advice for posting silver coins

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bandit, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section. I'm looking for some advice on posting some silver coins I was about to sell, being a noob I don't have much of a clue when it comes to posting things. Also being new to sites like this one and Ebay, I don't want my first sales to result in negative feedback due to my poor effort packing it.

I've got 2 types I want to send, firstly just junk silver coins ( the type where the coin is nearly perfectly smooth and there is nearly no detail left on the coins but still years 1910-1915) secondly I have some better coins which would obviously need more attention ( I'm really lost on these ones).

I asked at the Australia post office in regards to the junk silver coins, and the advice there was to lay them flat between two small pieces of cardboard and staple the cardboard shut or use rubber bands. I'm looking to move about 10 x one shilling coins at a time to begin with. I'm just not sure if this would be considered acceptable and at the same time I don't want to go overboard on postage cost for junk.

What do you guy's think of their suggestion? Postage cost was about $5.60 registered this way. It was pretty much a registered envelope for under 250g and less than 5mm thick.

If anyone was packing anything, some photo's of how you yourself would do it would be nice, and any advice on the nice coins would also be great.

2. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Checkout Fishballs postage guide - details most of the methods available including the cheapest tracked and registered postage available (I think).

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

thats what I do tape the coins to some stiff cardboard up to 250g worth. place in a prepaid registered envelope ($3.50 each when bought in paks of 10), once addressed and sealed I then wrap in clear tape to give some strength to it and water proof it.

4. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

ingore post office, they normally advice you use that most expensive parcel. take Pag #1 or #2 is fine,#1 cost you a dollar,#2 around 2 bucks

5. nicwinner

and weight should limit in 250 gram, if 250-300 should be 1.8 for stamp
    register add another 3.1 bucks

if it really really high value then use EXPRESS regular mail, 9.2 bucks, next day arrive, I suggest you use this one, AWESOME!

6. hiho

plus the post & registered cost, so works out dearer

7. nicwinner

if he want take a risk, try document register mail, total for 3.99 bucks, however only can post document in but find some newspapers and cover coins inside, that post mechine may not scan it out, but it's risky. lol, all upon u :D

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

First thing to do is establish what is Junk Silver and what is a Numismatic quality ? If you are selling Junk Silver just put them all in between card as mentioned or in a money bag, but then you can't use an envelope but make sure your weight is not over either.

If they are Numis in quality you can get sheets that are pretty cheap overall if you have a few to do. They are clear with pockets and just use those and cut in sheets of 10 ? Get the size you need. About $7-$14 pack or something like that.

9. hiho

nic read post 3 matey :)

10. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Thanks for the advice so far guys, what are these sheets that have been mentioned, anyone have a link so I can check them out?

The better coins I will only be sending one at a time. The pic for my avatar is a scan of a coin from my collection by the way, I need to keep them in that condition when it arrives.

11. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

You can wrap the coins in toilet paper too - if they are heavily worn than it doesnt matter if the individual coins touch each other - in that case make sure that you pack them thinly - since if the envelope is too thick it wont go thru as a letter but will go as a parcel which costs more

12. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

maybe have in a clause when selling "if the postage doesn't arrive or is damaged goods" the responsibility does not reside with the seller. Or, build into the selling price a rolls royce postage fee which covers all above.

13. an9ie

an9ie New Member

I can tell you NOT how to post your coins. Bought a 2 ouncer from eBay recently; the guy sent it loose in a padded post bag via standard mail (not registered!) This is after charging $8 postage and handling which I thought was kindof a gouge (although I should have checked).

Luckily it didn't encounter any dishonest or over-curious posties!

14. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Emmm.. Nice Shilling.. whats the date? for sale?

RE: sheets.. all coin shops sell them.. they are deisgned to keep your coins in an album.. they are called clear sheets or coin pocket sheets etc.. usually around 1.50 each (or 10 for 12) and come in all sizes.. above idea is very common.. just cut off one row or so and put your coins in.. then cellotape them to that cardboard.. i like to use postcards etc... remember to tape the card to the inside of the envelope/sachel to stop it from moving around.

1for1

15. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Maybe we should have it so new members can't post for a week? Might slow down the spammers!

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

formatting fail! much

17. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Is there a problem?

18. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can mail stuff that weighs less than 125 grams and less than 26mm thick as a "large letter". Standard post $1.20. Registered $4.25.

I always use padded post bags. $1.00 ea. Bubble wrap or cardboard around item and place inside the folded packing slip.

I have only had one item out of around 80 posted that has been damaged in transit. The item was in a hard plastic case which broke and pierced a hole in the padded envelope. There was a large boot print on the envelope when it arrived. Luckily the items were undamaged. The item was being shipped to the USA.