1oz Koalas or Kookaburras?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Capitalist, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Capitalist

Capitalist New Member

Hi, I'm just starting to accumulate bullion because I think fiat will go to zero.

I'm going for smaller weights because 1kg bar will have low liquidity and be harder to barter with should the worst happen.

So I'm going for the 1oz stuff initially for practical purposes before going into the heavier stuff for better bang for buck investment purposes.

I will be buying gold too.

I don't care for numismatics because I'm strictly doing this to preserve wealth, not speculate on which coins will appreciate in value.

Will probably order directly from the Perth Mint (I'm in Sydney).

My questions:

Is it a Koala better than a Kookaburra? or are they the same?

Are there any useful tips you can give me (I'm just starting out)?

2. jedichampion

jedichampion New Member

Personally I like the kooks more

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Kooks > Koala

4. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

At the same price Kooks would be better received,or command better resale than Koala's.

As I understand Kooks have a max production limit of 500K where Koala's are unlimited

5. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just my view, and you'll probably find some here to contradict it, but why use the Perth Mint before you know the ropes? There are plenty of options - just look at the individual or the supplier offers here on the Buy, Sell & Swap board.
    Case in point: The Perth Mint offers 2011 Koalas for $59.50
    http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/2011-australian-koala-1oz-silver-coin.aspx.aspx
    You can find better than that whether for Koalas or other products.
    Kooks seem better than koalas

6. jrbrans

jrbrans New Member

Hey mate, check out www.bullionclub.com.au

They are located in the Dymocks Building in Sydney. Just went there for the first time (I am from Perth). I've told myself I'd buy something every time I come to Sydney from now on. They have a nice range of shiny stuff :)

Enjoy the stacking!

7. Capitalist

Capitalist New Member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be going with the Kooks

That looks like a good place. Bullionclub are cheaper than the Perth Mint and have nice volume discounts. Thanks!

8. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

They are both bullion coins and if numismatics doesn't matter to you, neither should which bullion coin you buy. As long as they are well known and resaleable they are the same.

Although it is also true that I prefer the Kookaburras. Go figure.

Check the perthmintbullion.com site. They reduce premiums on bulk orders. And Check the auction threads here.

9. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

G'Day, and welcome mate :) I'm a SHTF stacker too (like you, see my sig, I reckon fiat=pooched soon).

1oz units are great for bater/trade/divisibility when SHTF, personally, Kook or Koala decision for me is "Which is cheaper?". Then buy that one :)

If you're concerned at divisibility (I am too), Steve (Aurora et Luna, see his sub forum below) will soon be getting www.combibar.com in stock, both in silver and in gold.

Would be worth holding a few I think :)

As you build your stack, note/think about not holding it all in small 1oz lots - the premiums are a bit harsh, and it's gonna make a huge stack. Consider some gold, preferably fractional, and also 10oz, 20oz, 1Kg bars for the "bulk" part of the stack.

Bear in mind - if fiat bites the dust, one of three things are gonna happen:

(1) They'll replace old fiat with new fiat and reset the clock to 1971 (a.k.a. we'll be back to where we are now in about 40 years)
    (2) They'll replace old fiat with new PM backed currency, PM's will be revalued, and it'll be (sorta) back to business as usual within a month or two at most (so you don't need 1000oz as 1oz units)
    (3) They'll ditch paper currency completely, and move to a gold/silver coinage/certificate system a la pre 1971. Again, back to business as usual within a month or two at most.

Just my 1oz worth for your consideration.

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

This.